Yamaha (Al Alamiah) AX200 Blown Power Supply. Is possible to fix?

Page 1/3
| 2 | 3

By lunarhalo

Supporter (9)

lunarhalo's picture

23-06-2011, 01:53

Hi all,

I found a working Yamaha (Al Alamiah) AX200 MSX in our storeroom. After few plays and switching on and off it stopped working. I opened it and found the fuse is blown. I bought few fuses of the same type (T1A /250V) but every time I place one and switch the machine on the fuse blown directly (electricity: 110v).

I switched the power supply to be 220v/240v and connected it to a 220v electricity plug but it didn't work at all and the fuse was not blown. Then I switched the power supply back to 110v, connected it and the fuse again blown.

I did a stupid thing and put a A10 fuse. It didn't blow but something in the power supply start burning. I guess it was this cylinder arrowed in the below picture and it was at high temperature. I switched the power supply off and put back a T1A fuse but this time MSX didn't work at all (surprise Crying )

www.alzaid.ws/images/msx_power_supply.jpg

I'm not an electrical guy and forgive my ignorance but can I still fix this MSX or not? Maybe all it needs a new power supply? if it is the case, where I can suitable fine one?

I searched the web all I got is your forum. Please help.

Thank you

Login or register to post comments

By Manuel

Ascended (10243)

Manuel's picture

23-06-2011, 19:43

What does the text say at the connector of this power supply?

Usually, it's not a big issue to replace a power supply, but you need to know what voltage should be on those wires... Usually, you can have 12, 5, -12 and -5...

By switch

Supporter (12)

switch's picture

23-06-2011, 19:54

Hi! Interested in selling?

By lunarhalo

Supporter (9)

lunarhalo's picture

23-06-2011, 21:34

@Manuel
Thanks for your reply!
The problem nothing is written at the wires edge except their colors' abbreviations.
10 pins and 5 colors (starting from top: 2 BLE, 2 RED, 3 BRN, 2 ORG, 1 WHT). I'm newbie at these things but I really want to learn.

Your help is highly appreciated.
Thank you!

@switch
Not really.

By switch

Supporter (12)

switch's picture

23-06-2011, 22:21

Hi! Do you have any pictures of this machine? I have never seen this one and I have several.Question

By msxholder

Master (242)

msxholder's picture

23-06-2011, 22:59

Now I want to help.
I presume the Elco was blown up this would be the result of ac current thus rectifier D101 can be
defective .
If you want to try for approximat 5 euro replace rectifier "s1w8" and the 2 big elco's of 200 volt
It 's assumed that it is only the primary part "voltage" that is broken

Groetjes

By lunarhalo

Supporter (9)

lunarhalo's picture

24-06-2011, 00:27

@msxholder
Great I'll do that tomorrow and see how it will go.
Thanks!

@switch
Here you go and some Arabic games too.
alzaid.ws/images/msx/s_IMG_0274.jpg
alzaid.ws/images/msx/s_IMG_0275.jpg
alzaid.ws/images/msx/s_IMG_0279.jpg
alzaid.ws/images/msx/s_IMG_0280.jpg

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (4214)

JohnHassink's picture

24-06-2011, 01:26

Wow, cool. Smile
Is that Game Master also some Arabian edition?
With that games, did they also change things like the title graphics to Arabic or only the ROM stickers and manual/box?

By lunarhalo

Supporter (9)

lunarhalo's picture

24-06-2011, 01:44

No. Game Master is the same one no difference. It works with Konami games only as far as I remember.

The first games above are totally Arabic made games by Al-Alamiah company (known as "Sakhar" till today). Most of them are basically knowledge and educational games (quizes, questions and math games) and one is musical, a piano actually with some tutorials.

The games with blue stickers in the second picture are English well known games but Al-Alamiah changed the stickers and added their logo on the top left. I don't remember if they also translated the manuals. I don't have any unfortunately.

The two above games with white stickers are also English games but with Arabic name translation label.

I don't remember Al-Alamiah modified any English game in any means. Only the stickers.

The white one one left says "Magical Tree". The Japaneses game on the right is actually King Valley II.

That's all Smile

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (4214)

JohnHassink's picture

24-06-2011, 07:02

Interesting, thank you for the information! Smile

Any of the games in this link present there?
Is it (still) true that Al-Alamiah is now holding residence in Egypt?

By cax

Prophet (3672)

cax's picture

24-06-2011, 12:00

It looks exactly like PSU of Russian Yamaha YIS503IIR and YIS503IIIR.
If I find it's schematics (I believe some Russian MSX users may have it), will it help ?

http://cax.nm.ru/msx/pics/YIS503IIIR/07.YIS503IIIR-acdc_power_area.JPG

Page 1/3
| 2 | 3
My MSX profile