Mega Flash ROM is a cartridge which works with any MSX model and comes with a Flash ROM memory and with a set of characteristics that make it ideal for storing the real images of any ROM cartridge. Its capacity makes that storing a ROM in the Mega Flash ROM and executing it will be the same as using the original cart. It is not an emulation. The characteristics of the Mega Flash ROM are similar to the ones of the original cart, in a 99% of times.
The Mega Flash ROM cart comes with a "Flash ROM" chip which makes its data everlasting after being stored. This means that it doesn't work as a traditional memory which loses its contents when it is disconnected from the supply.
The Mega Flash ROM comes in three variations.
- The first version was a 512Kb flash with a SCC chip and konami SCC mapper, so you can enjoy the classic Konami SCC games in full, or use the Mega Flash ROM with SCC productions from the MSX scene. It had a button to disable the flashed ROM, to flash a different one.
- The second version was a 1024Kb flash with ASCII8 mapper.
- The last and current version of the Mega Flash ROM has 1024Kb size and contains a FPGA that implements a secondary PSG and a SCC chip and support for several mappers. When used on a main (non extended) slot, it allows to use up to 4 roms simultaneously simulating sub-slots.
Minimum requirements for rewriting the cartridge:
- MSX computer with one free slot
- DOS/DOS2 and a storage device (FDD, HDD, ZIP, SD/MMC...) to flash a ROM