|Founded by||Jon Cortázar|
|Current/final members||Jon Cortázar, Aitor Zumelzu, Angel Sainz, Judith González|
|Former members||Sonia Segoviano|
RELEVO Videogames was founded by Karoshi Corporation former member Jon Cortázar in 18th July 2009, along with the release of the new website and the special version of La Corona Encantada on the internet, for both MSX and ZX Spectrum computers.
The homebrew years
Taking La Corona Encantada, that gathered a lot of attention from general media, as the guideline for RELEVO Videogames upcoming creations, they started to work on Invasion of the Zombie Monsters, another multi-platform game project, with the same concept of creating a specific team of people involved on an specific project. While this project was being developed, some other productions were made, such as British Bob and a text based adventure, Está en la Caja. In 13th March 2010, Invasion of the Zombie Monsters was released for MSX and ZX Spectrum at RetroMadrid 2010 fair: the same way as La Corona Encantada featured well known artist Alfonso Azpiri into the development team, Invasion of the Zombie Monsters counted with famous 80s' game music composer César Astudillo (Gominolas) inside its team. Está en el Pantano, sequel from Está en la Caja, was also released that day.
Starting professional career: partnership with Vals Agency
In early 2011, RELEVO Videogames had already completed all steps toward professional development, becoming part of Vals Agency, a marketing and communication agency from Bilbao (Spain), in which Jon Cortázar was already involved as full partner Creative Manager. In this new stage, RELEVO Videogames brand continued working on its 8 bits productions, both propietary products or advergaming for clients, with the full support and resources of a well-established marketing agency. Apart from the 8bit products, RELEVO Videogames will also focus its products on webgames and platforms such as Windows, MacOS or mobile, always giving them special oldschool touch to those productions for actual devices.
The first commercial work for 8 bits platforms was Azzurro 8 Bit Jam, an advergame created to get an exclusive, different, and funny way to promote Azzurro Rock Pub to its clients: the game was released in 22nd June 2011 for MSX and ZX Spectrum, being sold at the pub and installing a custom cabinet for free play. Another project developed at this stage was Kar Snatchers, a dexterity web game created for Karealde, an official Opel and Chevrolet dealer, which includes global and monthly leaderboards in order to organize promotions.
Baboon! winning Best 2011 Basque Game Award
In summer 2011, and trying to come up with them first professional propietary game for actual systems, a demo version of Baboon! running on PC/Windows was created in order to enter hóPlay international contest with the game.
This puzzle game project, planned for MSX on 2009, was restyled and changed its gameplay for it to be released on mobile platforms with touch control.
The game was finally awarded with the Best 2011 Basque Game Award at the festival, obtaining also nominations for Graphic Design, Original Idea and Best Playability.
RELEVO Videogames as a professional games studio
Thanks to Baboon! being spotted in the media, a lot of advergaming projects started to come along from different clients. The growing list of projects and the intention of boosting the development of propietary projects too ended up with the foundation of RELEVO Videogames, S.L. as an enterprise, in november 2011, owned by Jon Cortázar as individual and Vals Agency.
In this stage, RELEVO Videogames brand continues working on its productions for both actual and 8 bit systems (MSX, ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC), focusing on creating on-demand advergaming products such as Mission: Euskadi (developed for the Basque Government Tourism Agency) or Safybots Polyester Super Robots (created for Uriarte Safybox company), along with top quality new games, such as Battle for Asciion, British Bob Jumping Craze! or Subacuatic.
- Jon Cortázar
- Aitor Zumelzu
- Angel Sainz
- Judith González
- Sonia Segoviano
- Albert Beevendorp (BiFiMSX, The New Image)
- Augusto Ruiz
- Alfonso Azpiri
- Aratz Juanes
- César Astudillo (Gominolas)
- Daniel Zorita (Matra Computer Automations)
- David Donaire
- Eduardo Robsy (Karoshi Corporation)
- Javier Peña (utopian, Retroworks)
- José Vicente Masó (WYZ, Retroworks)
- Jose Vila
- Kepa Cortázar
- Patriek Lesparre (GuyveR800, The New Image)
- Sergio Martinez (Txejo)
- Sergio Vaquer (Beyker)
- Star (Matra Computer Automations)
- Safybots Polyester Super Robots (RLV713) (2013, Web/iOS/Android)
- Mission: Euskadi (RLV712) (2013, Web/iOS/Android)
- Subacuatic (RLV711) (2012, MSX)
- British Bob Jumping Craze! (RLV710) (2012, iOS/Android)
- Vals Panic (RLV709) (2012, iOS/Android)
- Battle for Asciion (RLV708) (2012, Web/iOS)
- Kar Snatchers (RLV707) (2011, Web/iOS)
- Azzurro 8 Bit Jam (RLV706) (2011, MSX/ZX Spectrum)
- Está en el Pantano (RLV705) (2010, MSX/ZX Spectrum)
- Invasion of the Zombie Monsters (RLV704) (2010-2013, MSX/ZX Spectrum/Amstrad CPC)
- British Bob (RLV703) (2009, MSX)
- Está en la Caja (RLV702) (2010, MSX/ZX Spectrum)
- La Corona Encantada (RLV701) (2008-2009, MSX/ZX Spectrum)
- Recuperacción (2013, PCWin/Web)
- Baboon! (2013, iOS/Android/MSX)
- Hyper Soldier Angel (2013, MSX)
- Los Templos de Fuego (2013, MSX/ZX Spectrum)
- RELEVO Videogames - official website with the latests news about past and current developments.
- "Los bilbaínos Relevo Videogames se llevan el premio al mejor videojuego vasco" - source: DEIA newspaper (09/17/2011)
- "Azzurro 8bit JAM', el primer videojuego publicitario retro 'made in Euskadi" - source: ABC Tecnología Hoy
- "Un local se promociona en Bilbao con un videojuego para ordenadores 'retro'" - source: El Mundo - País Vasco (06/18/2011)
- "31 Homebrew Games Worth Playing" - source: 1UP.com, article by Ryan Winterhalter including Invasion of the Zombie Monsters in the list.
- "El píxel es bello (y divertido)" - source: El Pais, article about La Corona Encantada (09/03/2009)