Binary File Loader

بواسطة gdx

Enlighted (4813)

صورة gdx

31-10-2018, 14:23

Hello,

I developed a command to load and execute binary files under MSX-DOS.
You can download that here:
http://www.msx.org/downloads/binary-loader-v100

Below is a ZIP that contains some files to try it.
Some binary files.

Enjoy.

Login أوregister لوضع تعليقاتك

بواسطة gdx

Enlighted (4813)

صورة gdx

03-11-2018, 06:41

Updated to v1.0.1!

I fix keys to remove disks and shunt down motors. I also removed the cursor troublesome for few games.

بواسطة ~mk~

Champion (303)

صورة ~mk~

03-11-2018, 16:37

Hi Gdx,

I haven't tried it yet but you can expect bug reports from me in the future Smile
It is nice to have this tool and not having to deal with .BAS files.

Some initial questions:
- You may know about ONEDRIVE.COM (which can also be loaded as a binary file), is it possible to add this as a parameter to avoid having to remember to press CTRL during boot?
- Is it feasible to extend this tool to load multipart binary files?

Cheers!

بواسطة hit9918

Prophet (2911)

صورة hit9918

03-11-2018, 16:50

interesting to read the code

	ld	bc,24
	ld	de,FCB1+13
	ld	hl,FCB1+12
	ld	(hl),b
	ldir			; Reset the second half of FCB

	ld	de,FCB1
	ld	c,0FH
	call	BDOS		; Open the binary file

O_O does open not init the fcb?
then, an uninitialized fcb would do things like start reading in a random place in the file?

بواسطة gdx

Enlighted (4813)

صورة gdx

04-11-2018, 09:15

I noticed a little issue with Psychedelia. Normally when you press the Y key, it goes back to Basic. A reset occurs instead. Any idea to fix it?

hit9918 wrote:

O_O does open not init the fcb?
then, an uninitialized fcb would do things like start reading in a random place in the file?

Yes, depending the content an error can occur if this area is not reseted. It is in Tsujikawa's source code that I found this solution a few years ago.

~mk~ wrote:

I haven't tried it yet but you can expect bug reports from me in the future :)
It is nice to have this tool and not having to deal with .BAS files.

Thank you. :)

~mk~ wrote:

- You may know about ONEDRIVE.COM (which can also be loaded as a binary file), is it possible to add this as a parameter to avoid having to remember to press CTRL during boot?

I do not know how this commamd works. Is the source code available?

~mk~ wrote:

- Is it feasible to extend this tool to load multipart binary files?

I don't know. It is probably feasible but with another method. Does somebody have an idea?

بواسطة ~mk~

Champion (303)

صورة ~mk~

04-11-2018, 22:03

gdx wrote:
~mk~ wrote:

- You may know about ONEDRIVE.COM (which can also be loaded as a binary file), is it possible to add this as a parameter to avoid having to remember to press CTRL during boot?

I do not know how this commamd works. Is the source code available?

Seems not Sad
All I could find was this basic listing which is supposed to do the same (I'll try it and let you know):
https://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/general-discussion/more-m...

بواسطة gdx

Enlighted (4813)

صورة gdx

21-02-2019, 01:00

Update! I added a missing line of code and make minor fixes.

https://www.msx.org/downloads/binary-loader-v100

Some binary files to try it:
BIN-OK.ZIP

بواسطة ~mk~

Champion (303)

صورة ~mk~

25-08-2021, 00:14

Hi gdx,

I have been using binldr to load some some games which consist of a very small ~1kb BIN file and then a huge (usually 128kb or 256kb) PRG file. They are megarom conversions to disk, for example: QUARTH.BIN+QUARTH.PRG, IKARI.BIN+IKARI.PRG, etc.

I am using these versions of the games because I have a Beer IDE interface which essentially is like a standard MSX disk controller, with the advantage that you can use an HDD or CF memory with CF-IDE adapter instead of dealing with diskettes. It provides just that, no extra memory, no flashrom capability or anything as you may know already.

It works flawlessly as long as I use MSX-DOS. The thing is that, Beer IDE can boot Misix, which is a nice spin-off of MSX-DOS created by Egor himself (may he rest in peace) which adds a bunch of features, the main one adding directory suppport, and I can't get binldr to work with Misix.

I can share a DSK for use with openMSX if you want to take a look. I have a feeling, since Misix is designed to be compatible with MSX-DOS programs, that it should be possible to make it work.

Thanks!

بواسطة gdx

Enlighted (4813)

صورة gdx

25-08-2021, 02:05

I don't have any of these versions to try but if your BINs load the PRGs in the Basic environment and your files are in a folder, it is normal that it does not work. If not give me some samples so that I can test.

بواسطة ~mk~

Champion (303)

صورة ~mk~

25-08-2021, 03:41

Thanks GDX, I will send you a PM via MSX Village forums.