New Disk Manager for Windows (in development)

Página 2/2
1 |

Por tcm1998

Expert (120)

Imagen del tcm1998

12-03-2017, 14:37

Ok. If you could provide me with such a diskimage, I'll see what I can do.

Btw, could someone provide me with a PDI diskimage to make following the format specs a bit more clear?

Por tcm1998

Expert (120)

Imagen del tcm1998

12-03-2017, 16:16

Louthrax wrote:

Check that little card here:
http://www.cbmstuff.com/proddetail.php?prod=scp
I have one on my PC, you can virtually copy/write/store image of any disk with that from Windows. This is making a physical copy of the flux stored on the disk (a single disk image can take something like 20MB!). Not sure if DMK is natively supported but a conversion tool could be done if that's not the case.

I'm not going to buy any hardware to create a tool I didn't want to make in the first place. I don't think I have even a single floppy in the house. I only maintain my msx hobby with emulators (mostly openMSX). If it comes to reading a real drive, I'll probably use VMware with a diksimage or somthing like that. I do have a USB 3.5 inch drive for my laptop, but without a floppy to fill it, it's pretty useless.

I do know that my program will loose a lot of usefulness if it can't read from a real (msx) floppy, so somehow I will make it happen.

Por Louthrax

Prophet (2406)

Imagen del Louthrax

12-03-2017, 17:24

The point here was just to mention that this SVI format could be interesting for some people (and that it could be written back to real disks).

I would not be so interested in having your tool reading / writing directly from real floppies, there are already existing tools for that (I have a right-click file association on .DSK files to "Write to floppy"). Just having a pure disk image tool working well with floppies and hard disk images (I'd also be very interested by the command-line capabilities you mentioned) will already be super great!

EDIT: An interesting feature for me would be the ability to recursively copy a whole directory to the floppy/hard disk image, with an option to copy only the "newer files". I'm using that for dev purposes with openMSX (I'm using a makefile that creates a hard disk image and injects the files in it, that's why I like the "command line" capability too).

Por tcm1998

Expert (120)

Imagen del tcm1998

12-03-2017, 19:56

Louthrax wrote:

The point here was just to mention that this SVI format could be interesting for some people (and that it could be written back to real disks).

I would not be so interested in having your tool reading / writing directly from real floppies, there are already existing tools for that (I have a right-click file association on .DSK files to "Write to floppy"). Just having a pure disk image tool working well with floppies and hard disk images (I'd also be very interested by the command-line capabilities you mentioned) will already be super great!

EDIT: An interesting feature for me would be the ability to recursively copy a whole directory to the floppy/hard disk image, with an option to copy only the "newer files". I'm using that for dev purposes with openMSX (I'm using a makefile that creates a hard disk image and injects the files in it, that's why I like the "command line" capability too).

good to hear that you're not that interrested in using it with real disks, but I don't know how the rest of the community would think about that.

When I announced subdirectory support, I already mentally included recursively copying subdirectories, both internal (hard) disk to (hard) disk) and external from explorer or (in my case) from total commander. However the "new files only" is a good suggestion. I will include that in the options.

Por Louthrax

Prophet (2406)

Imagen del Louthrax

12-03-2017, 20:34

tcm1998 wrote:

good to hear that you're not that interrested in using it with real disks, but I don't know how the rest of the community would think about that.

Well, there are often questions on the forum here on how to read or write disks from Windows (specially single-sided disks).

Por NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5875)

Imagen del NYYRIKKI

12-03-2017, 21:47

tcm1998 wrote:

Ok. If you could provide me with such a diskimage, I'll see what I can do.

Here is link to all different kind of BASIC disk images I know. The example DMK was created with svi2dmk. (Source) (Windows binary)

Por tcm1998

Expert (120)

Imagen del tcm1998

04-05-2017, 06:53

Just a little update:

I changed the name of the program to Disc Image Studio (DIS), because that covers better what it is suppose to do. Besides, reading some old MRC threads, I discovered there already was a DSKExplorer.

And since yesterday, Disc Image Studio became officially open source and has been added to GitHub
https://github.com/tcm1998/Dis

I will add a repository for my protected disk tool (see this thread) too.

Página 2/2
1 |