Paxanga Soft just uploaded a promo video for their new MSX game, "Yokai no Atsuki Tatakai" (The Heated Yokai Battle) to YouTube. The game is a "sobrenatural" action RPG for any MSX computer with at least 16k RAM. It will be released soon in 64K cartridge format.

Relevant link: Paxanga's web

Media browser (4)

  • Yokai no Atsuki Tatakai - MSX game video promo uploaded
  • Yokai no Atsuki Tatakai - MSX game video promo uploaded
  • Yokai no Atsuki Tatakai - MSX game video promo uploaded
  • Yokai no Atsuki Tatakai - MSX game video promo uploaded

Comentarios (22)

Por JohnHassink

Ambassador (5386)

Imagen del JohnHassink

02-11-2017, 04:51

Interesting, reminds a lot of Kiki Kaikai, but with a lot more emphasis on exploration.

Por wyrdwad

Paladin (755)

Imagen del wyrdwad

02-11-2017, 08:55

I like that the yokai princess' name is "Okinamune," which means "big chest" in Japanese. Wink

This looks really good, honestly. Exactly my kind of game! I've only played one other Paxanga game before -- Cold Blood -- but it's one of my favorite MSX homebrew games. So I am very much interested in playing this one too!

-Tom

Por tfh

Paragon (1732)

Imagen del tfh

02-11-2017, 11:22

wyrdwad wrote:

I like that the yokai princess' name is "Okinamune," which means "big chest" in Japanese. Wink

This looks really good, honestly. Exactly my kind of game! I've only played one other Paxanga game before -- Cold Blood -- but it's one of my favorite MSX homebrew games. So I am very much interested in playing this one too!

-Tom

Indeed, it's mentioned on the project homepage as well: ""Okinamune, Our big boobed girl."
Good stuff Smile

Por Meits

Scribe (5404)

Imagen del Meits

02-11-2017, 13:45

This presentation video reminds me a bit of the box art discussion a while ago which was all about the expectations of the game by judging the killer box art and then find out how they compare to the actual game. Now there's even a bombastic sound track and where the gameplay is being showed the PSG is beefed up.
Okay, that was my vinegar pissing which can be totally ignored. It was just an instant thought.
Of course one can't expect those presentation animations, graphics and audio in an MSX1 game which runs on the most basic, stripped model imaginable.

What I saw of the gameplay was very impressive, given the system requirements and I'm looking forward to find out how it turns out to be.
Let the emphasis of my reaction lie on that Wink

Por Manuel

Ascended (15458)

Imagen del Manuel

02-11-2017, 18:47

That looks and sounds pretty damn good Smile

Por MsxKun

Paladin (899)

Imagen del MsxKun

02-11-2017, 20:23

Ty all for your words.

@Meits: I think I know what you mean Big smile But I also think everybody is grown enough to know what an MSX1 can do and what it can't, so probably nobody should be fooled Smile (Still you can beef your PSG connecting the audio to an external FX unit or mixer, someday I had some fun connecting my MSX to the Kaoss Pad 3 and playing with the FX's).
Anyway, step by step, a video with raw gameplay is coming next. Let's apply that rule... "Now that I have your attention..." Wink

and

"Of course one can't expect those presentation animations, graphics and audio in an MSX1 game which runs on the most basic, stripped model imaginable."

The most basic MSX1 has 8k RAM, and the game needs 16k RAM. So sorry for 8k users but... Sad

Por Meits

Scribe (5404)

Imagen del Meits

03-11-2017, 00:29

Happy to see that you know what I mean. There's nothing but appreciation and great happiness here and looking forward to its release. We need more of that, even though teams keep on releasing high quality stuff on regular base, it's never enough Smile

Por MsxKun

Paladin (899)

Imagen del MsxKun

03-11-2017, 20:26

Meits wrote:

Happy to see that you know what I mean.

Hehe, what can i say, I grew with spanish games with cute covers and then the games where just crap.
But not only here, if you compare this

with this

well, it's not the same, but the game is not bad :P

Por Elrinth

Resident (53)

Imagen del Elrinth

06-11-2017, 10:13

holy shit this looks amazing! Also <3 engrish in 2017 Big smile

Por MsxKun

Paladin (899)

Imagen del MsxKun

06-11-2017, 20:37

Elrinth wrote:

holy shit this looks amazing! Also <3 engrish in 2017 Big smile

Well, at some point I was considering some good old engrish wouldn't hurt, but I prefer to keep it for another different game, so if some word is wrong then it's a typo or just wrong. I'm still in time to correct it if you point it to me. Big smile

Por wyrdwad

Paladin (755)

Imagen del wyrdwad

07-11-2017, 16:55

MsxKun wrote:

Well, at some point I was considering some good old engrish wouldn't hurt, but I prefer to keep it for another different game, so if some word is wrong then it's a typo or just wrong. I'm still in time to correct it if you point it to me. Big smile

Oh, I thought it was intentional too! It's kind of charming, so I wouldn't bother fixing it if I were you. Wink The line in question in the trailer is "Will they success?" -- it should be "Will they succeed?", since "success" is a noun, while "succeed" is the verb form of it.

-Tom

Por MsxKun

Paladin (899)

Imagen del MsxKun

07-11-2017, 21:01

wyrdwad wrote:
MsxKun wrote:

Well, at some point I was considering some good old engrish wouldn't hurt, but I prefer to keep it for another different game, so if some word is wrong then it's a typo or just wrong. I'm still in time to correct it if you point it to me. Big smile

Oh, I thought it was intentional too! It's kind of charming, so I wouldn't bother fixing it if I were you. Wink The line in question in the trailer is "Will they success?" -- it should be "Will they succeed?", since "success" is a noun, while "succeed" is the verb form of it.

-Tom

Ha! Big smile Ok, well, if it's only in the trailer, then it stays. Takes me ages to upload with my crappy ADSL speed. And specially if you are having some fun with it Tongue
Ty anyway for the correction!

Por MsxKun

Paladin (899)

Imagen del MsxKun

27-11-2017, 12:58

As promised...

Gameplay video here

Not so easy to make a video without spoilers.... :BA:

Por journey

Champion (353)

Imagen del journey

28-11-2017, 09:08

Great!

When will be available the phisical copy? (apart at the fair)

Por MsxKun

Paladin (899)

Imagen del MsxKun

28-11-2017, 10:00

Well, after the MSX Ru there will some units for sale at MSX Cartridge Shop, but I think there aren't many left, so once they're finished, when a new stock of boxes comes out. I hope as quickly as possible.

Por raulsantacruz

Champion (492)

Imagen del raulsantacruz

12-01-2018, 11:37

Hi,

Congratulations for your game. I bought in MSX Cartridge Shop and the game and music is excellent.

However, I have a little problem: I tested Yokai no Atsuki Tatakai in my HB-75 Japanese Model (it's only works in 60 Hz) and the result was:

https://youtu.be/TKKsJXXx2lo

It seems there is some graphical glitches. I retested in other MSX1 Japanese and the result was the same. Probably the problem was related with TMS9918ANL included in these machines, and probably appears in other MSX1 Japanese models. Anyway, I can play using my MSX2 machines without problems, but please keep in mind to fix it if you have planned to distributed in Japan.

Regards

P.S. : If you create a update version, It will be very useful extend the game with a password option to save progress.

Por raulsantacruz

Champion (492)

Imagen del raulsantacruz

12-01-2018, 13:24

raulsantacruz wrote:

Hi,

...
It seems there is some graphical glitches. I retested in other MSX1 Japanese and the result was the same. Probably the problem was related with TMS9918ANL included in these machines, and probably appears in other MSX1 Japanese models. ...

Autoreply: There is an update available for fix this problem. Thank you very much to MSX Cartridge Shop for the very very fast support (but in any case, @MSXKUN , password save progress option will be still very helpful Big smile )

Por MsxKun

Paladin (899)

Imagen del MsxKun

13-01-2018, 14:00

raulsantacruz wrote:

Autoreply: There is an update available for fix this problem. Thank you very much to MSX Cartridge Shop for the very very fast support (but in any case, @MSXKUN , password save progress option will be still very helpful Big smile )

Yep, Vram dump was a bit too fast. And yes, it is fixed.
About password, well, people who played the game seriously already finished it without need of any password Big smile
Is not that long. Password would allow you to finish the game with ZERO effort. Yes, a bit like modern games, but frak, we're old skool!

Por Pencioner

Paladin (903)

Imagen del Pencioner

13-01-2018, 14:14

MsxKun][quote=raulsantacruz wrote:

Password would allow you to finish the game with ZERO effort. Yes, a bit like modern games, but frak, we're old skool!

You made my day with this comment Smile

Por raulsantacruz

Champion (492)

Imagen del raulsantacruz

15-01-2018, 17:57

MsxKun wrote:

About password, well, people who played the game seriously already finished it without need of any password Big smile
Is not that long. Password would allow you to finish the game with ZERO effort. Yes, a bit like modern games, but frak, we're old skool!

Ok. I didn't know the long of the game. In this case, I will try to finish it at weekend. How many hours approximately do you think it can take?

Por tfh

Paragon (1732)

Imagen del tfh

15-01-2018, 19:05

Love those bouncing ( . ) ( . ) on the main screen Smile

Por MsxKun

Paladin (899)

Imagen del MsxKun

15-01-2018, 22:54

@raulsantacruz: Once you have played enough and you learn where's everything and have some practice fighting the bosses, you can avoid the plural in the sentence "How many hours".

@tfh: Rule#1 of marketing Tongue