Help hacking and restoring AX-350II sakhr

Página 10/18
3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15

Por ali6x944

Master (197)

Imagen del ali6x944

08-03-2018, 16:25

rderooy wrote:
ali6x944 wrote:

Did anyone find resources about how to hack these for the msx?

There is a bunch of MSX FDD mod guides here:
http://msx.hansotten.com/do-it-yourself/msx-floppy-drives/

Unfortunately most of them are not in English.

that is unfortunate....
also most are for Philips msx machines, I don't know really what to do at this point...

Por ali6x944

Master (197)

Imagen del ali6x944

08-03-2018, 16:26

do MSX machines accept 2HD and MFD-2HD disks?

Por rderooy

Paladin (686)

Imagen del rderooy

08-03-2018, 16:44

Depends what you mean. MSX cannot read or write HD formatted disks.

But if you mean, can I use HD disks as if they are 2DD (720kB), then, yes that should work fine. The only thing to be careful about is putting them into a HD capable drive.
The solution is however simple, just cover up the 'HD hole' with some non-translucent tape. This prevents the disk drive from detecting a HD disk, which in some setups can cause errors, such as messages that the disk is not formatted.

Por ali6x944

Master (197)

Imagen del ali6x944

09-03-2018, 03:29

rderooy wrote:

Depends what you mean. MSX cannot read or write HD formatted disks.

But if you mean, can I use HD disks as if they are 2DD (720kB), then, yes that should work fine. The only thing to be careful about is putting them into a HD capable drive.
The solution is however simple, just cover up the 'HD hole' with some non-translucent tape. This prevents the disk drive from detecting a HD disk, which in some setups can cause errors, such as messages that the disk is not formatted.

Mmm... so I have to format the disks from 2HD to 2DD, then cover the hole on the other side of the disk...
So is any drive capable of running 1.44Mb floppies will run 2DD if downgraded or left as is?

Por ali6x944

Master (197)

Imagen del ali6x944

09-03-2018, 05:36

So can MPF920Z 1.44MB FDD run 720k floppies after the drive have been downgraded?

Por rderooy

Paladin (686)

Imagen del rderooy

09-03-2018, 08:25

You don't downgrade the drive, you downgrade the floppy by adding that piece of tape to cover the 'HD hole'.

You can also downgrade the drive by messing around with the 'HD sensor', such that it always thinks there is a non-HD disk in the drive. This is useful if your putting a HD drive into your MSX and don't want to bother putting tape on all your HD capable disks. But you will have to still be careful using those same disks in another HD capable drive on for instance a PC.

Por ali6x944

Master (197)

Imagen del ali6x944

09-03-2018, 11:55

rderooy wrote:

You don't downgrade the drive, you downgrade the floppy by adding that piece of tape to cover the 'HD hole'.

You can also downgrade the drive by messing around with the 'HD sensor', such that it always thinks there is a non-HD disk in the drive. This is useful if your putting a HD drive into your MSX and don't want to bother putting tape on all your HD capable disks. But you will have to still be careful using those same disks in another HD capable drive on for instance a PC.

Cool, last two questions...
1. can I format the drive in the modified drive in the msx, or do I need to format it through my usb fdd drive?
2. what is your recommendation on the best drive to modify, the samsung SFD-321B or sony MPF920Z?
see datasheets:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kzuTwLoi3bmP8qyZtbnw88jamas...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10nwr6CHruIpJsFqC2NojEX0HstM...

Por ali6x944

Master (197)

Imagen del ali6x944

09-03-2018, 14:03

???

Por rderooy

Paladin (686)

Imagen del rderooy

09-03-2018, 14:35

1. Yes you will be able to format the HD disks in your MSX as either 1DD or 2DD if you disable the 'HD sensor' reading some way (tape or disable the sensor itself).

2. I don't have an answer to that.

Por gdx

Enlighted (5503)

Imagen del gdx

09-03-2018, 15:15

rderooy wrote:

1. Yes you will be able to format the HD disks in your MSX as either 1DD or 2DD if you disable the 'HD sensor' reading some way (tape or disable the sensor itself).

By cons, these floppy disks may not work in some 2DD drives.

Página 10/18
3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15