Playing enhaned MoG in English on a turboR

Página 1/3
| 2 | 3

Por Manuel

Ascended (15620)

Imagen del Manuel

07-10-2018, 18:03

I have an original MoG, but I want to play it in English on my turboR. So, I thought I'd use my old fashioned MegaFlashROM SCC.
I'm using FRS's MoG enhancement patch as well, because it's nice. So I IPS patched it and then tried to flash it with OPF using the /e option. The game runs, but still in Japanese... The same happens with the unpatched Maze of Galious.

What can I do? Is /e not the right option?

Login sesión o register para postear comentarios

Por karloch

Prophet (2058)

Imagen del karloch

07-10-2018, 19:18

As far as I can tell, /E is the right option. Something must be going with these patches that interfere with the OPF patching.

Por Meits

Scribe (5461)

Imagen del Meits

07-10-2018, 19:57

Check if the latest opf is the same as yours. It did have a few updates after it got obsolete so maybe this was one of the issues.

Por Manuel

Ascended (15620)

Imagen del Manuel

07-10-2018, 22:22

Well, as I said, even without the patches it is not working. And i"m using the latest OPF (0.78).

Por Manuel

Ascended (15620)

Imagen del Manuel

07-10-2018, 22:29

Hmm, wait, the save shrine text is in English, but the LOAD text is not!?

Por max_iwamoto

Champion (464)

Imagen del max_iwamoto

07-10-2018, 23:25

Manuel wrote:

I have an original MoG, but I want to play it in English on my turboR. So, I thought I'd use my old fashioned MegaFlashROM SCC.
I'm using FRS's MoG enhancement patch as well, because it's nice. So I IPS patched it and then tried to flash it with OPF using the /e option. The game runs, but still in Japanese... The same happens with the unpatched Maze of Galious.

What can I do? Is /e not the right option?

You can patch ROM at the offset 54F0h. Change LD A,(002Bh) to LD A,01h + NOP. In the game it will be located at the address 94F0h.

In HEX editor it will be:

3A 2B 00 to 3E 01 00

Por max_iwamoto

Champion (464)

Imagen del max_iwamoto

07-10-2018, 23:49

The "ENTER THE SECRET CODE" message located at the offset 58F5h. But the game code there instead of AND 0Fh checking AND F0h. It still works, because for European 50Hz MSX computers bit 7 is set. But the patch there should be different. Perhaps this is the issue...

So the code at ofse 58F5h should be replacing LD A,(002Bh) to LD A,10h + NOP.

After that "ENTER CODE" message will be in English.

---

Besides that game is checking it 2 times more... At offsets 5917h & 592Eh.

In both of those case also AND F0h used. So to patch you need to change it to LD A,10h + NOP.

Looks like different people codes different subroutines Smile

Por Manuel

Ascended (15620)

Imagen del Manuel

08-10-2018, 00:17

Thanks for sorting that out! I expected it to be something like this, indeed!

Any idea at which places in the game the other 2 occurrences appear for the player?

Por max_iwamoto

Champion (464)

Imagen del max_iwamoto

08-10-2018, 03:41

Manuel wrote:

Thanks for sorting that out! I expected it to be something like this, indeed!

Any idea at which places in the game the other 2 occurrences appear for the player?

Yes, you can see it in my previous message:

Offsets 5917h & 592Eh (they are very close to each other - 2nd/3rd & 4th). Only st one is reasonably far.

This 2 also need to be changed to LD A,10h + NOP (3E 10 00)

Por Manuel

Ascended (15620)

Imagen del Manuel

08-10-2018, 07:27

Those are places in the game code. I meant when playing the game: where will the player see Japanese text?

Por max_iwamoto

Champion (464)

Imagen del max_iwamoto

08-10-2018, 18:35

Manuel wrote:

Those are places in the game code. I meant when playing the game: where will the player see Japanese text?

I am trying to investigate it now. Playing trough the game. Never finished it before without cheating Smile

I know only 1st two checks, the other 2 are still unknown. I put a loop code there, so the game will freeze when I reach it.

Also interesting that texts in Japanese slightly different from English. Maybe another candidate to add actual translation for Japanese texts.

So, here what we know so far:

1. ROM offset 54F0h (94F0h - actual address during the game)

TEXT messages in DEMETER room, also YES/NO in English or Japanese.

---

2. ROM offset 58F5h (98F5h - actual address during the game)

"ENTER SECRET CODE" message

---
3. ROM offset 5917h (9917h - actual address during the game)

---
4. ROM offset 592Eh (992Eh - actual address during the game)

---

Página 1/3
| 2 | 3