German YouTuber Mr Venom1974 has already done some MSX reviews.
Now he is looking at a topic for 30 days, this July it's MSX.
His 30 days MSX Games Challenge on Youtube and twitch included so far:

  1. Athletic Land
  2. Knightmare
  3. Parodius
  4. F1 Spirit
  5. Frogger
  6. Yie ar KungFu 2
  7. Pooyan
  8. Konami's Tennis
  9. Twinbee
  10. Q*Bert
  11. Sparkie
  12. Konami's Ping Pong
  13. Pippols
  14. Hyper Ralley
  15. Vampire Killer
  16. Metal Gear
  17. Circus Charly
  18. Kings Valley 2 for MSX1
  19. The Goonies
  20. Cabbage Patch Kids
  21. Maze of Galious
  22. Penguin Adventure
  23. Comic Bakery
  24. Time Pilot
  25. Sky Jaguar
  26. Contra
  27. Usas
  28. Salamander
  29. Nemesis
  30. Metal Gear 2
  31. Settlement

Each episode provides a small insight into the game in less than 10 minutes.
Currently you can inform yourself about the challenge on Youtube under #MSXDAYS.
As a viewer you can decide which games MrVenom1974 will present next.

Great that it is again more German users who are interested in MSX. Probably more today than in the hot days.

Media browser (2)

  • German YouTuber presents a 30 day challenge.
  • German YouTuber presents a 30 day challenge.

Comentarios (24)

Por Vampier

Prophet (2292)

Imagen del Vampier

13-07-2019, 22:58

he could challenge himself to be less of an arrogant dick, that would be a great start.

Por sd_snatcher

Prophet (3031)

Imagen del sd_snatcher

14-07-2019, 02:06

...and he plays Japanese games in PAL mode. Kinda like eating sushi with a fork and a knife. oO

Por alexito

Hero (522)

Imagen del alexito

14-07-2019, 12:22

@sd_snatcher wrote: "...and he plays Japanese games in PAL mode. Kinda like eating sushi with a fork and a knife. oO"

Hey, I like sushi a lot and I don't care to use fork and knife all the time.

Wink

Por zett

Hero (548)

Imagen del zett

14-07-2019, 20:45

jeej again just konami games

Por Poltergeist

Champion (272)

Imagen del Poltergeist

15-07-2019, 13:46

I don't really understand that comment on Japanese games in PAL mode. If my memory serves me right (and in this case, it does ;-) ), all the Konami's I played did not switch to 60 Hz, but played on 50 Hz, right out of the box. Even if I knew or wanted back then, I could not switch to 60 hz. Kinda hard with cartridges. I like the games as they were for me back then, not how Japanese people played them. So, for me, it's only natural to play these games on 50 Hz.

Por Metalion

Paladin (1004)

Imagen del Metalion

15-07-2019, 17:00

Poltergeist wrote:

I don't really understand that comment on Japanese games in PAL mode. If my memory serves me right (and in this case, it does ;-) ), all the Konami's I played did not switch to 60 Hz, but played on 50 Hz, right out of the box. Even if I knew or wanted back then, I could not switch to 60 hz. Kinda hard with cartridges. I like the games as they were for me back then, not how Japanese people played them. So, for me, it's only natural to play these games on 50 Hz.

At last !!!!!!!!
Someone who understands me !!!
Thank you.
I feel exactly the same.
Smile Smile Smile

Por TheKid

Paladin (807)

Imagen del TheKid

16-07-2019, 07:38

It is good to see someone is putting effort in spreading the MSX word, especially in Germany. And I agree with Zett, MSX is much more then only konami. Love how he says "child park", it sounds a lot like "scheiss park" hihi.

Por zett

Hero (548)

Imagen del zett

16-07-2019, 18:09

Metalion wrote:
Poltergeist wrote:

I don't really understand that comment on Japanese games in PAL mode. If my memory serves me right (and in this case, it does ;-) ), all the Konami's I played did not switch to 60 Hz, but played on 50 Hz, right out of the box. Even if I knew or wanted back then, I could not switch to 60 hz. Kinda hard with cartridges. I like the games as they were for me back then, not how Japanese people played them. So, for me, it's only natural to play these games on 50 Hz.

At last !!!!!!!!
Someone who understands me !!!
Thank you.
I feel exactly the same.
Smile Smile Smile

That is not a problem. the problem is msx1 games on a msx2. the colors are so bad.
I most of the time play msx1 games on a real msx1.
or set the color set.

Por shwaikh

Expert (80)

Imagen del shwaikh

19-07-2019, 20:50

Agree!

Por tfh

Paragon (1767)

Imagen del tfh

20-07-2019, 11:30

Really guys?
30 years ago, most of us were probably playing the game on our MSX2(+} machines on 50Hz, hooked up to a non calibrated CRT on which probably everyone had different colour settings.
And now we're all of a sudden purist?
I remember being on a fair with my Phillips NMS8250 on whatever monitor I had, trying to get close to the same colours as the VG8235 on a Phillips monitor on the other side of the booth and wasn't able to get them matching.

Por zett

Hero (548)

Imagen del zett

20-07-2019, 11:55

tfh wrote:

Really guys?

No. as long as there is msxing im fine. just ppl are so shity abot jp msxing and stuf. just msx dont care msx1 2 or fpga. or emu

Por sergarbes

Supporter (14)

Imagen del sergarbes

21-07-2019, 10:41

Hi all,

I think it's a great initiative to spread the MSX world and why not Konami games.

Konami games have been some of the best of that time in grafics, sound, etc.

For those who want other games, I propose that you guys make your challenge of 30 days of games that are not Konami games. Cool

See ya

Por Meits

Scribe (5456)

Imagen del Meits

21-07-2019, 11:33

Frequency is very subjective. If you grew up 50Hz you got used to it, eventhough the music tempo was just wrong. Imho a lot of tunes sound sleep-inducing when played on the wrong frequency. It's not a coincidence one of the pokes I do remember of the old days is &hf346,1.

Video is kind of subjective as well. I've tried several flat screens on my MSXes. After a while it got a tad too expensive to keep on searching so I stuck with a Samsung. Great video. But the colors are flat and lifeless when I compare it to any CRT. When only working in txt mode, like I do, it's very convenient for me to use a flat screen. Easy on the eyes and good on the desk.

What tfh says is very much true. I started off with a monochrome screen. When my parents were away I dragged the MSX down to the living room and used the RF cable to connect it to the TV. That was a revelation.

There are many ways to output A/V nowadays. To each their own.

Por Latok

msx guru (3655)

Imagen del Latok

21-07-2019, 13:18

He's playing MSX1 version of Kings Valley 2.

Por hamlet

Scribe (2394)

Imagen del hamlet

21-07-2019, 13:49

Thanks for the improvement, Latok. I've taken over the data and don't look at every one of his reviews immediately. Although I like what he does, I often despair of his half-knowledge. That makes it hard to complete the videos.
But for a MSX user from Germany I give him some credit for his expertise.

Por sd_snatcher

Prophet (3031)

Imagen del sd_snatcher

24-07-2019, 00:53

Poltergeist wrote:

I like the games as they were for me back then, not how Japanese people played them. So, for me, it's only natural to play these games on 50 Hz.

Don't take me too seriously on that remark. This is why I joked about the sushi thing. Anyone is free to decide to be purist, or eat sushi with a fork, use socks with sandals, or find natural to wear flower-themed shirts at the beach. But once you do it in public you can't stop other people from finding it awkward. ;D

But there's also one sad part of publishing videos of Japanese MSX games in PAL: a lot of the misconception about the MSX being slower than the other systems comes from the fact that people compare the speed of games on such videos with their preferred systems running in NTSC or native PAL ports. And you'll see a lot of comments about how "${Pac-man, Castlevania, Metal Gear, Pitfall, <insert game here>} on the MSX is so sloooow!!"
(the other part of the misconception is caused by piss-poor ZX-Spectrum and PC-88 ports, but that's another topic)

Por Manuel

Ascended (15600)

Imagen del Manuel

24-07-2019, 11:58

Meits wrote:

Frequency is very subjective. If you grew up 50Hz you got used to it, eventhough the music tempo was just wrong. Imho a lot of tunes sound sleep-inducing when played on the wrong frequency. It's not a coincidence one of the pokes I do remember of the old days is &hf346,1.

Nitpick mode.... How is this poke related? End nitpick mode...

Por tfh

Paragon (1767)

Imagen del tfh

24-07-2019, 12:28

Manuel wrote:
Meits wrote:

Frequency is very subjective. If you grew up 50Hz you got used to it, eventhough the music tempo was just wrong. Imho a lot of tunes sound sleep-inducing when played on the wrong frequency. It's not a coincidence one of the pokes I do remember of the old days is &hf346,1.

Nitpick mode.... How is this poke related? End nitpick mode...

Maybe boot the MSX in BASIC, set the VDP to 60Hz and then use that poke followed with _system to boot the gamedisk?

Por Meits

Scribe (5456)

Imagen del Meits

24-07-2019, 16:03

tfh went for the 100% score. Somehow I expected Manuel to know of this one as well, but ey, no problem Smile

Por tfh

Paragon (1767)

Imagen del tfh

24-07-2019, 16:33

Meits wrote:

tfh went for the 100% score. Somehow I expected Manuel to know of this one as well, but ey, no problem Smile

Cool! What did I win? Smile Smile

Por Manuel

Ascended (15600)

Imagen del Manuel

24-07-2019, 16:50

OK, I actually used that as well. Especially for puyo puyo. But now everyone can read about the trick....

Por hamlet

Scribe (2394)

Imagen del hamlet

24-07-2019, 18:34

Thanks to that trick I can do speed runs now much &hfaster,1

Por sd_snatcher

Prophet (3031)

Imagen del sd_snatcher

06-08-2019, 02:29

I just bumped at this video again, and thought that it was totally related to what was discussed here. :)

Por AxelStone

Prophet (2663)

Imagen del AxelStone

06-08-2019, 20:37

Poltergeist wrote:

I don't really understand that comment on Japanese games in PAL mode. If my memory serves me right (and in this case, it does ;-) ), all the Konami's I played did not switch to 60 Hz, but played on 50 Hz, right out of the box. Even if I knew or wanted back then, I could not switch to 60 hz. Kinda hard with cartridges. I like the games as they were for me back then, not how Japanese people played them. So, for me, it's only natural to play these games on 50 Hz.

It's all about personal preferences. Nowadays I can't play anything at 50hz, even european software. For me MSX only have 60hz mode. In fact, I've change my HB75P VDP for NTSC one, since in MSX1 you can't change frequency using commands like MSX2 Smile