SymbOS MSX multitasking operating system - help needed!

Page 312/392
305 | 306 | 307 | 308 | 309 | 310 | 311 | | 313 | 314 | 315 | 316 | 317

By Prodatron

Paragon (1788)

Prodatron's picture

08-01-2013, 22:32

@Trebmint: It would be really great to have you back! Smile

Regarding BIG fonts: Have to fix the final bugs in Notepad/Multiline input, and then I will check this!

By PingPong

Prophet (3278)

PingPong's picture

09-01-2013, 01:13

Prodatron wrote:

Yeah, the Graphics 9000 is really a dream B-) I couldn't believe it, when I first saw the combined power of the TurboR + G9K - that was not a Z80-8bit-based system any more... ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK7r1EkSOKs ).
And the possible resolutions are crazy, too :D ( http://www.symbos.de/gfx/preview/symg9kopenmsx.gif ; taken with OpenMSX)

@Prodatron:
Pratically, It's not a true 8bit system. the R800 processing power is more similar to a 16bit processor than to a 8 bit one.
GFX9000, Graph power and resolution were definitely available in the 16bit era.

So it's a distorted comparison to compare the R800+GFX9000 to any other common z80 system.

By Prodatron

Paragon (1788)

Prodatron's picture

09-01-2013, 01:58

You are right on the one hand, on the other hand it's still based on the Z80 8bit architecture. You ONLY have a >8bit data bus and a >16bit address bus - nothing else Smile

By edoz

Prophet (2131)

edoz's picture

09-01-2013, 10:02

@Trebmint: It's very cool that you want to work on symstudio again. Couple days ago i installed it on my windows 7 PC. I like the basic part!It would be me nice for me if there is some documentation, how the program language (basic part) works. I already playing arround at the moment and i have some samples received from prodatron. I like to develop something for symbos Wink I'm also a fan of vb.net and the language looks the same. But i'm not sure about options like textbox.visible = true or textbox.width = or .location etc.

By flashjazzcat

Supporter (9)

flashjazzcat's picture

10-01-2013, 16:05

Large fonts (currently up to 24pt) are one of the first things we did on the Atari 8-bit GUI, and it would be great to see them in SymbOS. Paul Fisher and I spent quite a long time designing a flexible font format, and it's still being amended now. We have a toolchain which converts BDF fonts for use on our system. We have ascent, leading, etc, all described in the file - this stuff becomes important when the fonts get bigger.

As for continued work on SymStudio: this is great news. Smile

By Prodatron

Paragon (1788)

Prodatron's picture

11-01-2013, 01:44

Fonts in SymbOS are currently limited to a maximum of 8x15 pixels/char. On the MSX the system font is even limited to 8x8, as it is "cached" (prepared for all colour-combinations) inside the 128KB VRAM, and there is no more space left. The VDP does pixel-based rectangle-copies, when printing text in SymbOS, which is really a fast way for plotting proportional fonts on the MSX (the VDP contains a blitter/"2D-accelerator").
For alternative fonts I discussed with Trebmint how to extend the text-engine without adding too much code (as there isn't much space left). It should be possible to simulate a second 8x15 char for each primary 8x15 char, so that you have a maximum of 16x15, 24x15 or whatever pixels.

By flashjazzcat

Supporter (9)

flashjazzcat's picture

11-01-2013, 13:43

Fascinating! I'll stop trying to match the MSX rendering speed right now, then, since we don't have a blitter on stock A8s (we do in VBXE, but that's a whole other chapter, and I may not even go there).

Anyway, sounds like things are getting really tight. I'm kind of glad the A8 system is gonna be on ROM, since I already threw a lot of code at the text renderer. The desktop icon labels are rendered in "shadow" style using triple line buffering and left/right shifting on the fly, and while it's reasonably fast, it's code-heavy. Certainly keeping chars to 8 pixels wide or less would save a lot of hassles, but one of the things which most impressed me about GEOS was the tremendous range and quality of the fonts.

By edoz

Prophet (2131)

edoz's picture

30-05-2013, 15:06

Hi... any news regarding notepad ? Wink

By Prodatron

Paragon (1788)

Prodatron's picture

31-05-2013, 00:40

Hi Edoz, had to refurbish some things in my house during the last monthes, and now I am trying to get the MSX version up and running again. Just hope, that I will have it finished during june. Beside some changes regarding the memory allocation because of the new text control there is still the problem with the new driver management. But I am on the way now...

By edoz

Prophet (2131)

edoz's picture

31-05-2013, 09:20

Hi Prodatron Wink Good to hear from you! Hopefully you are able to solve the driver problem! It seems that the driver problem is the big issue to solve. Is it very complex ? ... Yesterday i received finaly my MP3 Player from sunrise Big smile So now i can play also MP3's on Symbos Big smile .. hope to test it soon Smile Did you already received your DenyoNet Interfaces ?

Page 312/392
305 | 306 | 307 | 308 | 309 | 310 | 311 | | 313 | 314 | 315 | 316 | 317