SymbOS MSX multitasking operating system - help needed!

Page 318/398
311 | 312 | 313 | 314 | 315 | 316 | 317 | | 319 | 320 | 321 | 322 | 323

By karloch

Prophet (2159)

karloch's picture

18-01-2014, 13:02

It sounds really SLOW. Maybe not worth the effort.

By sd_snatcher

Prophet (3608)

sd_snatcher's picture

18-01-2014, 13:42

Quote:

This means that in each load operation we need to "stop SymbOS", break it to make memory MSX-compatible, call standard routine & restore SymbOS memory.

IMHO, the following approach should be good enough:

1) SymbOS must keep the page-0 of the Memory mapper intact, since it contains all the MSX system variables and hooks. This is required to make it compatible with any MSX BIOS and extensions.

2) When booting, SymbOS must save the RSTxx vector table (first 38 bytes of the RAM) from the page-3 of the memory-mapper to page-0. It also must save a copy of its own RSTxx vector table.

When any BIOS function is required, SymbOS would proceed as this:

a) Select the memory-mapper page-0 on frame-3
b) Restore the MSX RSTxx vector table
c) Perform the required BIOS function
d) Restore the SymbOS RSTxx vector table
e) Select it's own page on frame-3

This wouldn't still pass the Acid2Test (*1), but isn't slow and would be a great step in allowing it much to be compatible with the plethora of different MSX hardware without requiring Prodaton to code for the rest of his life creating specific drivers for every single one. Smile

*1: But the rest of SymbOS isn't compliant anyway. That could be dealt with later.

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (6011)

NYYRIKKI's picture

18-01-2014, 14:18

@sd_snatcher Yes, that should be more than enough to get PHYDIO running, but it is still not enough to get DOS2 BDOS-functions running (They need also the other mapper pages) How ever I don't find a reason to use BDOS anyway.

BTW if page 0 is already hardcoded too deep, it is ok to copy this page to any other mapper page as well. You can also select the page visible to both frame 0 and 3 to avoid moving bytes in memory. How ever you may then need to move the loaded data around to get it to correct address inside SymbOS.

Although all of this would be just a big hack, I also agree that such an option would be great in order to benefit from all the disk devices (like NoWind) immediately when they arrive. This would ease up the pressure writing the drivers immediately.

Slow, ugly hack is better than no driver at all, right?

By sd_snatcher

Prophet (3608)

sd_snatcher's picture

18-01-2014, 15:40

Yes. Let's say that one solution is better from the speed point of view, and the other is better from the availability & compatibility point of view.

As nature teaches us, there's no such thing as a perfect approach for every possible situation. Smile

By giuseve

Paladin (754)

giuseve's picture

15-02-2014, 21:30

Uhm...
new icon set with colors
new application just made..
last release on on 2012..

I think it's the time for a new wonderful release of Symbos for MSX world
Maybe including some new movies and audio samples.

In my opinion SYMBOS will be perfect when it will include this feature:
- Mounting of DSK
- Mod Player
- Launcher of ROM games (at least 32k/48k rom)
- correct drives letter

I can't stand it :-)

By edoz

Prophet (2458)

edoz's picture

15-02-2014, 22:57

I just created 2 small games for symbos Big smile bdw: there is a rom launcher that can launch MSX roms till 32k. (On NYYRIKKI website)

By Prodatron

Paragon (1827)

Prodatron's picture

16-02-2014, 12:30

giuseve wrote:

- Mounting of DSK

This will be a little bit more difficult. I wonder, why this would be necessary in SymbOS as you can't launch usual MSX-DOS programs here.

giuseve wrote:

- Mod Player

Yes, plus a Moonsound player would be cool! Smile

giuseve wrote:

- Launcher of ROM games (at least 32k/48k rom)

As Edoz said NYYRIKKI already developed a Rom launcher.

giuseve wrote:

- correct drives letter

This is now possible in the 2.1! Smile

By giuseve

Paladin (754)

giuseve's picture

16-02-2014, 18:18

For DSK you suggest to use MSX-DOS utils, right? Well I'm gonna try.
I look for the nyyrikki tool.
Where to find version 2.1 for MSX?
Or is the same for CPC ?

Regards

By edoz

Prophet (2458)

edoz's picture

16-02-2014, 18:29

As, symbos is a 'new' OS only symbos programs can run in symbos. There for the use of DSK file is not very usefully as symbos programs are not stored on DSK images.

For the ROM load util go to Download section NYYRIKKI

2.1 is not released yet for the MSX. It's coming, but we have to wait a bit still ;)

By edoz

Prophet (2458)

edoz's picture

16-02-2014, 18:33

Oh Big smile and If you want to play my new tetris in symbos you can download the file here Wink It is also working on the current symbos release ...
Topic

Page 318/398
311 | 312 | 313 | 314 | 315 | 316 | 317 | | 319 | 320 | 321 | 322 | 323