SymbOS MSX multitasking operating system - help needed!

Page 322/396
315 | 316 | 317 | 318 | 319 | 320 | 321 | | 323 | 324 | 325 | 326 | 327

By Trebmint2

Master (241)

Trebmint2's picture

24-02-2014, 13:33

I was going to attempt to shut up on these boards until a proper release is out, but since thats a little while off in reality and this is kind of off topic I thought I'd say something. The idea is really to have a kind of scummvm like game not have every scumm game running through a virtual machine. Though to have a virtual machine running on a OS thats being run on an emulator does sound sooo strange It deserves to be done

I have no doubt that a turbo r could cope with monkey island for instance, but the ethos of symbos is that it works from low to high end. The anim I did also worked on a 4 colour CPC. Thats symbos. It might be okay on the CPC, good on the MSX and wonderful on the turbo r, but cross platform is still the ideal

And TBH my work with symbos is to make development really easy. Basic, Forms, Graphics, Anims, Levels etc. The real point is to make the most impressive software at the lowest possible time cost to the coders etc. Now i'm 100% sure a near 100% direct port of Monkey Island could run on a turbo-r, but as yet nobody has invested the time to do so as it would be a huge project. Chances are still nobody ever will. What I'd like to do with symbos and symstudio is allow people to do something perhaps project by project in a super quick way, plus the cross platform side too meaning a project reaches more people.

I do realise MSX crowd want to push the Turbo-r as its not got the software it deserved and has not reached its full potential. But I think say Monkey Island running on an MSX would be wow, and on a Turbo R wow, but they are different wows! Symbos is about taking machines that cant and making them machine that do

By giuseve

Paladin (744)

giuseve's picture

24-02-2014, 19:19

've just tried SYMBOS with TETRIS app and MONKEY ISLAND demo.
Yes, just impressive that we're on a MSX2.

Thanks NYYRIKKY for the ROM Loader.
Thanks to Prodatron for his megawork
Thanks Edoz for his apps (waiting for a soundtrack for Tetris)
Can I make a list of my personal wish?
- MOD and XM Player: Prodatron just said he's on the focus, right?
- MIF support: maybe SymSee support? Or a Small-Photoshop-Like app for Symbos to manage MSX img formats ?
- EVA Player: some kind of evolution?
- Little spreedsheet and little wordprocessor to be added?
- GFX9000: I saw that using it symbos simply enlarge the screen horizontally but it's not usable all in the same screen. Maybe a problem with emulated-monitor-resolution? Which is the MAX resolution Symbos will use with GFX9000? Which one we can use in the same screen without pan effect?

Wondrful job guys, waiting for MSX 2.1 release.

By giuseve

Paladin (744)

giuseve's picture

24-02-2014, 20:48

Ohps,
SymRom freeze my Symbos running on BLUEMSX with SUNRISE IDE also if I press INS key.
Another item for my wish-list:
- SymCommander with colors and M.COM-like filemanager

Bye Bye

By Prodatron

Paragon (1789)

Prodatron's picture

25-02-2014, 01:08

giuseve wrote:

- Little spreedsheet and little wordprocessor to be added?

The first one is one of my personal dreams. Already started some concepts some time ago, it will come sooner or later...

giuseve wrote:

- GFX9000: I saw that using it symbos simply enlarge the screen horizontally but it's not usable all in the same screen. Maybe a problem with emulated-monitor-resolution? Which is the MAX resolution Symbos will use with GFX9000? Which one we can use in the same screen without pan effect?

On the real machine it works nearly perfect. You can choose all resolutions from 384x??? to 1024x??? (not the VGA modes). There are some little rare pixel bugs left. The biggest advantage of the G9K support is the amazing super-high-speed.

By Manuel

Ascended (18094)

Manuel's picture

25-02-2014, 13:41

Prodatron: as far as I know it works the same in openMSX. I guess giuseve didn't expect the pan-and-scan-effect.

By edoz

Prophet (2372)

edoz's picture

26-02-2014, 22:25

Manuel,is there an easy way, next,next finish installation for openmsx ? And does have openmsx a easy GUI ?.. Until now I prefer bluemsx as it is easy to use but there is no 9000 support unfortunately in bluemsx.

By Prodatron

Paragon (1789)

Prodatron's picture

27-02-2014, 01:22

You only need to know a very few commands and keyboard-shortcuts to use most important parts of OpenMSX...

By Manuel

Ascended (18094)

Manuel's picture

27-02-2014, 14:21

edoz - yes, there's a normal Windows installer. See also http://openmsx.sourceforge.net/manual/faq.html#easyinstall
GUI: No, but to experience GFX9000 you can just use Catapult, which covers the most used functionality of openMSX in a separate GUI. Just let me know if you need help with something (e.g. on the openMSX forum or on IRC).

By PingPong

Prophet (3756)

PingPong's picture

28-02-2014, 20:39

Trebmint2 wrote:

I was going to attempt to shut up on these boards until a proper release is out, but since thats a little while off in reality and this is kind of off topic I thought I'd say something. The idea is really to have a kind of scummvm like game not have every scumm game running through a virtual machine.

I think a almost full port of the scumm engine is a bit too much for the z80... maybe even for a R800 system that have cpu power but still a too limited MMU to easily accomodate the scumm...

Quote:

I have no doubt that a turbo r could cope with monkey island for instance, but the ethos of symbos is that it works from low to high end. The anim I did also worked on a 4 colour CPC. Thats symbos. It might be okay on the CPC, good on the MSX and wonderful on the turbo r, but cross platform is still the ideal

I fully agree!

By Prodatron

Paragon (1789)

Prodatron's picture

30-04-2014, 18:16

April is nearly over, so it's time for a Beta release of SymbOS 2.1!
You can download the package here (website will be updated later):

http://www.symbos.de/download/symbos21beta1-140430.zip

It includes some new stuff:
- new device driver for (all?) MegaSD-compatible devices. This works on the OCM as well as with the MegaFlashROM SCC+SD. Thanks a lot to Manuel and Caro for their work and source codes!
- driver setup utility ("SYMSETUP"): Instead of using command line parameters for including drivers for the boot process you now use this utility to setup the correct driver settings. Start it before booting SymbOS the first time.
- new apps like Notepad and Conways Games of Live (IIRC I didn't release them for the MSX yet)
- lot of stuff and features compared to the 2.0.

Have to leave now and will post more details later...

Page 322/396
315 | 316 | 317 | 318 | 319 | 320 | 321 | | 323 | 324 | 325 | 326 | 327