SymbOS MSX multitasking operating system - help needed!

Page 323/398
316 | 317 | 318 | 319 | 320 | 321 | 322 | | 324 | 325 | 326 | 327 | 328

By Retrofan

Paragon (1264)

Retrofan's picture

30-04-2014, 19:36

@Prodatron: looks great, but SYMSETUP doesn't detect my MegaFlashROM SCC+ SD with 512kB RAM. I'm running SymBos on MSX turbo R ST. Maybe you can auto-config Symbos? Right now, only my mouse is detected Tongue
I cannot access drive letters. Maybe because the disk controller of Turbo-R isn't supported yet?

By edoz

Prophet (2422)

edoz's picture

30-04-2014, 19:43

what do you see in SYMSETUP.COM ? You have to specify the MegaFlashSD in Symsetup.
The megaflashSD is like a slotexpander. It is always in subslot 3.

If you insert your megaflash in Slot1 you will probelby see: SLOT 13 [NOT DETECTED]
With 'D' you can attach the megaflash driver to SymbOS. Then with 'B' you have to select your drive (for example C: and the partition of the SD card.
(if you have 1 big partition created with Nextor CALL FDISK be aware there is a bug in FDISK. Don't take the full size but a bit smaller then the full size of the partition)

By edoz

Prophet (2422)

edoz's picture

30-04-2014, 19:48

Oh.. and if symbos is started.. go to START -> RUN -> BROWSE (Browse to the symbos directory and start appcp.exe first)
Then open 'System' And SET the default system path. for example c:\symbos\ (don't forget the last \ in the path)

Then save this (START- SETTINGS -SAVE) or in the control panel File -> SAVE SETTINGS.

This MUST be don before you can access other applications or desktop icons etc.

By Retrofan

Paragon (1264)

Retrofan's picture

30-04-2014, 19:58

@edoz: thanks! I will try tomorrow... my SD is formatted with PC instead of FDISK by the way...

By edoz

Prophet (2422)

edoz's picture

30-04-2014, 20:02

Retrofan wrote:

@edoz: thanks! I will try tomorrow... my SD is formatted with PC instead of FDISK by the way...

If your SD is formatted with your PC then there is no problem. Symbos supports FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32

By edoz

Prophet (2422)

edoz's picture

30-04-2014, 21:09

Prodatron wrote:

April is nearly over, so it's time for a Beta release of SymbOS 2.1!
You can download the package here (website will be updated later):

http://www.symbos.de/download/symbos21beta1-140430.zip

It includes some new stuff:
- new device driver for (all?) MegaSD-compatible devices. This works on the OCM as well as with the MegaFlashROM SCC+SD. Thanks a lot to Manuel and Caro for their work and source codes!
- driver setup utility ("SYMSETUP"): Instead of using command line parameters for including drivers for the boot process you now use this utility to setup the correct driver settings. Start it before booting SymbOS the first time.
- new apps like Notepad and Conways Games of Live (IIRC I didn't release them for the MSX yet)
- lot of stuff and features compared to the 2.0.

Have to leave now and will post more details later...

It's so cool!

By Prodatron

Paragon (1805)

Prodatron's picture

01-05-2014, 11:00

Autodetection isn't included in the SymSetup yet (the final 2.1 will have that), so currently you have to figure out by yourself, which device is connected at which slot. This should be quite easy: The internal Floppy is always at Slot 3+subslot, external catridges at slot 1 or 2 (+subslot if placed in a slot expander). The MegaSD inside the MegaFlashROM SCC+SD is at subslot 3, so it can be 13 or 23.
The following three drivers are included (*.DRV), more floppy disc drivers will be added soon:
-FDPHILI: FDC driver for Floppy drives in Philips machines
-IDSUNRI: IDE driver for the Sunrise interface
-SDMEGA: SD Card driver for MegaSD compatible devices (tested on the MegaFlashROM SCC+SD and OCM)

When you add a driver with "D" you select one of the two possible driver places and choose, which of the 1-4 devices should be attached here. Then you choose the driver file with the arrow keys.
After adding one or two drivers, you specify the drive, where SymbOS is placed (boot location) by pressing "B". SymbOS is completely independent from the MSX-DOS drive mapping, it knows nothing about it, so you have to enter these parameters here by yourself. Example: You have SymbOS on your Sunrise interface on the Master interface at partition 4, which is drive A in MSX-DOS. Now you select exactly these parameters and also specify a drive letter for this partition (either "A" like in MSX-DOS or whatever you like).
At the end you save the settings with "S" and boot SymbOS with "SYMBOS" or "SYMG9K" (if you want to use the Graphics9000 version).

By Prodatron

Paragon (1805)

Prodatron's picture

01-05-2014, 11:12

Here are some of the changes in the current 2.1beta1 compared to the last 2.1 preview of 2007:
- Multiline textinput control: This is already used in the Notepad application
- optimized single line textinput control
- mouse wheel support for NYYRIKKIs PS2-USB-mouse-adapter
- new MegaSD card driver
- Control Panel with "autosave" option
- more optimized memory allocation when loading applications
- debugged "type"-command in SymShell
- 64K cluster support (thanks to Nextor Smile )
- driver setup utility
- and some more small details

By edoz

Prophet (2422)

edoz's picture

01-05-2014, 14:06

WOW! the new release is super!!! Big smile Big smile I love the scroll mouse !!!

By giuseve

Paladin (744)

giuseve's picture

01-05-2014, 14:44

@Hy Prodatron,
as usual due to my inexperience with MSX-DOS, i'm having some troubles.
I'm trying on BLUEMSX emulating a FSA1-GT with SUNRISEIDE with a 16Mb HDD image with dos2.2 on masterchannel. It works with dos.
So I deleted all files (except command and msxdos.sys) and i copied all stuff from your DSK to it.
Then I try to run sysmsetup
Weel, my HDD has 1 partition, I setup device 1 and drive 1 with partition 1 to bootup and setup also device2 as floppy drive using the floppy drivers.
Symbos starts up with old color set, but everytime I click on a desktop icon (also control panel) it gives me an error.
Maybe there is a SETUP procedure that makes possible to copy in the correct way to the right partition automatically and configure itself from the user choosen options???

regards !!

Page 323/398
316 | 317 | 318 | 319 | 320 | 321 | 322 | | 324 | 325 | 326 | 327 | 328