SymbOS MSX multitasking operating system - help needed!

Page 325/398
318 | 319 | 320 | 321 | 322 | 323 | 324 | | 326 | 327 | 328 | 329 | 330

By Nautilus

Expert (76)

Nautilus's picture

02-05-2014, 14:38

Where can I find the newest version of SymStudio?

By edoz

Prophet (2422)

edoz's picture

02-05-2014, 15:21

Nautilus wrote:

Where can I find the newest version of SymStudio?

Hi.. It seems that the last version is not downloadable anymore from the link from Trebmint. (site is down)
I uploaded the last version I have used to make Tetris and Sym4Row. I did not clean it up so there are some other test projects from me .. but maybe handy as an example (like tetris)

Last version Symstudio

I'm curious how far Trebmint is with the new GFX library integration in SymStudio.

By edoz

Prophet (2422)

edoz's picture

02-05-2014, 15:59

NYYRIKKI wrote:

Here is a tool to create your own SymbOS backrounds. (for MSX-DOS)
... and here is the pallette file for BMP2MSX

Here are some examples.

I've used it to create ie. pictures you can see in this video

Hi NYYRIKKI,

Is it possible to share the background that you are using in the movie ? I like it! And thanks for the tools! I used symstudio to create backgrounds but this seems also a good option to use!!

By Trebmint2

Master (242)

Trebmint2's picture

08-05-2014, 11:13

Yeah the site where I hosted symstudio is no more. Maybe I can get it hosted on symbos.de site?

By Prodatron

Paragon (1805)

Prodatron's picture

08-05-2014, 11:53

Sure I will create a subdomain and send you the access data this evening!

By syn

Prophet (2088)

syn's picture

01-06-2014, 17:02

I am interested in trying symbos, since i have a working msx again.

Does this work with either padial SD/mmc interface or Nowind?

By Prodatron

Paragon (1805)

Prodatron's picture

01-06-2014, 19:45

Right now I released the Beta2 of SymbOS 2.1:
http://www.symbos.de/preview.htm
It now includes a setup utility, which provides a full installation process of SymbOS. This includes copying all required files and pre-configuring the SYMBOS.INI as well. I hope it's more dummy proof, and so I am quite curious, if it's really more easy now for people to install.

@Syn: Unfortunately I didn't receive neither my PadialSD nor my Nowind interface, so it's currently not possible to develop a driver for one of these devices. But PadialSD support will be added as soon as I get it.
Beside all types of floppy disc drives it currently supports the Sunrise IDE interface and the MegaFlashRomSCC+SD catridge (and all MegaSD compatible devices like the OCM).

By edoz

Prophet (2422)

edoz's picture

01-06-2014, 20:16

I love the DOS installer for SymbOS and the auto detection for storage devices!! Again amazing what you did Big smile Thanks for adding the new device drivers!

By giuseve

Paladin (744)

giuseve's picture

02-06-2014, 11:00

@prodatron: Simply Great !!!! The installer is amazing, very easy to use and better than windows95 one.
I've tried on BlueMSX and it works great
I've tried on OpenMSX having some problems with BOOSTED_TURBOR and FS_A1_GT machines. For example when in control panel I add the floppy as new drive, it doesn't let me input the new drive name in the field.

Anyway, I saw that there are no longer programs in Menu/Programs and on the desktop. Maybe it could be nice to include the link to main app again. In fact I saw that now all SYMBOS stuff are in the SYMBOS folders.

Now, what about a MSX2 DOS1 FLOPPY Version ???
I mean a light version that would run on MSX2 with 128K, using Floppy drive A and DOS1 ?
DOS1 : putting all the files in the same floppy without the use of subdir maybe DOS2 would'n be more necessary?
FLOPPY SETUP: Maybe a diskswapping automated setup for the MSX with only a drive and the setup to A: from B: for models with 2 drives?
128K : Reducing colors to the original layout, or making a CPC-Screen mode 1 or cpc-screen mode 2 like version?

Great work guys !!!

By Prodatron

Paragon (1805)

Prodatron's picture

02-06-2014, 15:26

@Giuseve, thanks a lot for your feedback!

giuseve wrote:

I've tried on OpenMSX having some problems with BOOSTED_TURBOR and FS_A1_GT machines. For example when in control panel I add the floppy as new drive, it doesn't let me input the new drive name in the field.

That's strange. I tested it on my real TurboR A1-GT and in BlueMSX and it always worked. But I will have a look at it.

giuseve wrote:

Anyway, I saw that there are no longer programs in Menu/Programs and on the desktop. Maybe it could be nice to include the link to main app again. In fact I saw that now all SYMBOS stuff are in the SYMBOS folders.

You should see desktop icons for SymCommander, SymShell, Control Panel and Task Manager. Start/Programs should contain SymCommander only. This is for a new installation or when you choose "overwrite existing installation". If you upgrade an existing installation the icons and startmenu entries shouldn't be modified.

giuseve wrote:

Now, what about a MSX2 DOS1 FLOPPY Version ???

I wasn't sure, if it's necessary to have an MSX-DOS1 installer as well. If you think so I will modify the current setup tool in the way, that it doesn't use subdirectories, when it detects DOS1.
You can already install SymbOS in a root directory. If you use 720K discs you can even install it on the same disc with only one floppy drive. After the installation you can remove the SYMSETUP.DAT to free some space on the disc.

giuseve wrote:

128K : Reducing colors to the original layout, or making a CPC-Screen mode 1 or cpc-screen mode 2 like version?

The setup tool is already detecting the memory size. If it's <256KB it will install SymbOS with reduced settings: No background image, no screensaver, no SymbOS extensions. Worked well in the emulator, unfortunately I currently have no real machine with only 128K, they are currently in the attic...

Ok, so this is what I should do so far:
- check this strange OpenMSX TurboR problem
- DOS1 mode, which doesn't use subdirectories

Page 325/398
318 | 319 | 320 | 321 | 322 | 323 | 324 | | 326 | 327 | 328 | 329 | 330