SymbOS MSX multitasking operating system - help needed!

Page 371/392
364 | 365 | 366 | 367 | 368 | 369 | 370 | | 372 | 373 | 374 | 375 | 376

By edoz

Prophet (2159)

edoz's picture

17-09-2015, 19:30

Grauw wrote:

Impressive Smile

Yes.. it was blowing my mind today Wink Prodatron did something unbelievable ! i'm just a big fan!

By Prodatron

Paragon (1788)

Prodatron's picture

18-09-2015, 02:10

It's just so cool that this is possible on a Z80 8bit system! (beside mutliplatform and multitasking also multihardware Tongue )

By sd_snatcher

Prophet (3019)

sd_snatcher's picture

19-09-2015, 00:22

Prodatron wrote:

I am very interested in Obsonet support, as a lot of people seem to own it (more than DenYoNet?).

Those are very good news! Indeed there are many ObsoNet cards out there, specially since Tecnobytes sold a batch of Obsonet2s.

People are bashing the RTL8019AS chip but it isn't actually that bad. It has hardware acceleration to take the biggest load from the processor, which is to receive the 1500 byte ethernet frame and store it in a buffer. Things would be much worse for the Z80 CPU if a BASIC NE-2000 chip had been used. Then the performance would really crawl. Compared to the NE-2000, the RTL8019AS is a real workhorse.

Prodatron wrote:

Btw, what is the difference between Obsonet and Obsonet2?

From the software point of view the differences are minimal:

1) Register mirroring

On ObsoNet1, the RTL8019 registers show up on the MSX frame-1 and are mirrored on frame-2. On ObsoNet2 there's no such mirror on frame-2.

2) Interrupts

On ObsoNet1, the /INT pin isn't connected to the MSX slot. This means that interrupts sent by the cart will only be acknowledged in the next VDP frame interrupt.
On ObsoNet2 the /INT pin is connected to the MSX slot. This means that interrupts sent by the cart will be instantly recognized by the CPU, considerably reducing the lag. And wasting an entire frame of CPU processing is quite a lot of waste, even for the Z80 CPU. This means that for the ObsoNet, this feature is mandatory to be used when available.

3) A different Flash chip is used on both, but that doesn't make any difference in your case.

Quote:

Like EdoZ said, it is probably much more complicated, but it should be only a question of some additional work. Because of the multitasking environment and the IPC/message-based API the Network Daemon itself is structured in a different way compared to Internestor. Some basic source codes could probably be used anyway.

Too sad Internestor can't be used. It would save a lot of time and effort.

By Robby

Master (165)

Robby's picture

13-10-2015, 15:30

Hi Prodatron,
A question, maybe i've missed it but have you been able to (re)write a good working sdmmc driver (based on the sinfox/sharksym sd cart) in the meantime?

In june last year you wrote:
"@Dhampird: Ok, I see, that's the MMC/SD card interface created by Sharksym. He wrote a driver for SymbOS in 2007. Unfortunately I had to change the driver structure a little bit after releasing SymbOS 2.0. I guess –FDMMCSD.DRV will not work anymore. Is the size of your version still 460 bytes?
Don't know if Sharksym is still active regarding this. I could try to disassemble his driver and update it to the new structure to get it running again. Let's see, what we can do here... In any case I will modify the setup tool for handling additional drivers and discarding wrongly detected devices.

Wow that's a different one! (bigger size) But still old version. Ok, will take this for a remake, thank you! "

Hopefully a working driver is available? As far as i could see, i could not find any related in your latest 2.1 release. I'm asking this because i own a sd cartridge from the repro factory, which is based on it. See:
http://www.ebsoft.fr/shop/en/home/36-sd-cartridge-sd-drive.html

Thanks in advance :)

By Prodatron

Paragon (1788)

Prodatron's picture

13-10-2015, 17:29

Hi Robby, yes, this driver is still on my todo list, but there wasn't time for it yet. Eric from the Repro Factory asked me some weeks ago as well, so I have to hurry up now Smile I have to finish a helpfile viewer for SymbOS today and then I will start with the driver.

By Robby

Master (165)

Robby's picture

13-10-2015, 23:19

Great, thank you very much!

RJ.

By Prodatron

Paragon (1788)

Prodatron's picture

14-10-2015, 00:00

The help application for viewing SymbOS specific HLP files has been finished.

Several of the existing applications include a HLP file now, which can be viewed when clicking the "?" -> "help topics" menu in the app.
HLP files itself are currently generated from simple HTML files with a small PC-based tool.

Now its time for another MSX mass storage driver :)

By Grauw

Ascended (8203)

Grauw's picture

14-10-2015, 00:23

Fancy!

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5299)

NYYRIKKI's picture

14-10-2015, 08:48

Prodatron wrote:

HLP files itself are currently generated from simple HTML files with a small PC-based tool.

Nice! Can this tool be used to generate DOX-files as well?

By Prodatron

Paragon (1788)

Prodatron's picture

14-10-2015, 13:50

The textformatting in the HLP files is much simpler than that in DOX files.
HLP only uses one single 256char font, which contains multiple charsets for normal/bold/italic(limited)/underlined(limited), which makes it possible to use the multiline textinput control (in read only mode) for displaying the texts.
So it's a little bit different.

A HTML 2 DOX converter should be implemented on Z80/SymbOS side to be able to display HTML pages somewhen in the future.

Page 371/392
364 | 365 | 366 | 367 | 368 | 369 | 370 | | 372 | 373 | 374 | 375 | 376