SymbOS MSX multitasking operating system - help needed!

Page 389/392
382 | 383 | 384 | 385 | 386 | 387 | 388 | | 390 | 391 | 392

By gdx

Prophet (2775)

gdx's picture

27-10-2017, 11:20

edoz wrote:

Haha.. this was fun, Yesterday i received a MSX 1 Big smile and i was able to run SymbOS on this machine Wink

I hope you use an external power supply.

https://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/hardware/my-toshiba-hx-10...

By edoz

Prophet (2156)

edoz's picture

28-10-2017, 13:42

It is funny that you say this. Because i had a "extra" adapter attached to the slot expanded on the classic computer fair in Berlin ... where a lot of "old" computer where powered on.. and .. suddenly there was this smoke and the power outlet came in .. and everyone was thinking .. wow.. which old computer just died...? and ... it was a modern power supply which was attached to my MSX1 Big smile

By Robby

Master (165)

Robby's picture

03-11-2017, 12:29

Edoz,

Have you and/or Jorn already considered to adapt Symbos in order to invoke the latest mp3 decoder functionality, as build by Eugeny? However, i haven't tested the possibly myself to install Symbos in the first place, as it has to be done within gr8net mode0 (via dos1?)

RJ.

By edoz

Prophet (2156)

edoz's picture

03-11-2017, 12:57

Robby wrote:

Edoz,

Have you and/or Jorn already considered to adapt Symbos in order to invoke the latest mp3 decoder functionality, as build by Eugeny? However, i haven't tested the possibly myself to install Symbos in the first place, as it has to be done within gr8net mode0 (via dos1?)

RJ.

Nope i did not. however it would be cool of course. One issue is that this MP3 decoder mapper mode is not having Nextor and 512 k memory anymore. So, that means you need other storage device and memory to use this function. It would be possible with mapper mode but than you need to mount a bootable floppy drive which boots SymbOS. (if you don't have other storage device)

At the moment we are more focused to support the GFX9000 on CPC and maybe to make the port to the spectrum.

By edoz

Prophet (2156)

edoz's picture

03-11-2017, 15:20

The basics of SymbOS (install and config)

(I created this a week ago, sorry for my English ;) )

By Robby

Master (165)

Robby's picture

03-11-2017, 15:58

Thanks for the reply Edo. I suppose the install manual wan't meant for me, but in general Smile
Mapper mode0 has 1024ks by default as you know, i only do not know (currently i am at work) if the gr8net sd interface is accessible within this mode. Because if dos1 kan be allocated, symbos can also be installed from dos1, right?

By Hydragon

Paladin (681)

Hydragon's picture

10-02-2018, 05:24

@edoz @prodatron Any info if there will be a driver available for Nowind?
Nowind is also available integrated in openMSX, maybe that can help out on developing the driver perhaps.

By ppeccin

Champion (344)

ppeccin's picture

12-05-2018, 18:42

Hello!
I'm the author of WebMSX. I'm trying to write a mass storage driver for SymbOS.

WebMSX is not a "known" hardware to SymbOS, and it implements a virtual mass storage driver. Its not anything like IDE, or SD. Its like a new hardware, so SymbOS needs a driver for it.

I have already succeeded writing a driver for Nextor, but I'm having a hard time understanding SymbOS driver architecture.

Can someone help me understand it?

I have already started a driver, taking as reference the source code for the SDMEGA driver.
From the source code, I have concluded there are only 4 main routines that must be implemented (drvinp, drvout, drvact, drvmof). This is much like Nextor, so I was hopeful!

I began, of course, with the DRVACT routine. From the source code, it seems to me that this would be the routine to perform some hardware initialization. The comments on the source define its INPUTS and OUTPUTS, and it seems really simple as it only defines reg A as input (device number), and CF and reg A as output (OK, or ERROR).

I am assuming those are the only INPUTS and OUTPUTS.
I'm my case, I only have ONE device (like device 0), and I really don't need to do any initialization, so I simply return OK (CF = 0) if the asked device = 0, and ERROR (CF = 1, A = errcode) if device >= 1.

But it does not work as I expected, and SymbOS never calls the other routines to actually READ data from the device, and always says "Error while loading: A disc error ocurred during the loading process (error code 02).

It calls my routine and I return OK, but SymbOS still says error 02 = NOT INITIALIZED, and gives up.

Is that DRVACT routine used to only perform specific hardware initializaion, or does it also have to fill any other obscure memory tables, or registers of any kind? What is the real expected outputs of that function?

Does SymbOS work like Nextor? Is it capable of dealing itself with partitions, FATs, directories only by READING and WRITING logical sectors to the device like Nextor does, or is this the device driver responsibility?

I see some other things on the source like "stoadrx" and "stodatsub", but I assumed those are routines and data structures specific for that driver only, used by the driver to maintain its variables and state.

Or are they some SymbOS routines that must be called or data structures that must be filled by the drivers in a predetermined way???

Can someone please help me with that?

Many thanks!

By ppeccin

Champion (344)

ppeccin's picture

13-05-2018, 05:49

Oh...I'm starting to get it. A little harder and a bit more reverse engineering needed than I expected.
But I think it will work!

Nevertheless, if anyone has any advice, I'm still interested.

By Manuel

Ascended (15457)

Manuel's picture

13-05-2018, 12:36

Please share your findings! How can you explain what you saw before?

Page 389/392
382 | 383 | 384 | 385 | 386 | 387 | 388 | | 390 | 391 | 392