Creating pixel art

Page 33/33
26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 |

By R_Leo_1

Expert (69)

R_Leo_1's picture

14-08-2019, 01:45

gdx wrote:

Nice pictures R_Leo!

Thank you gdx, I hadn't seen your reply (sorry lol).

Anyway, I have been conceptualizing and designing an RPG using the character seen in my previous post. I'm taking inspiration from old Arabic fables, the silk road, and Chinese/ Middle eastern relations. These are the enemies I've designed so far, and I thought they would be worth sharing since I have a few questions regarding how the MSX1 stores it's graphics in memory.

Now as for my question, I'm trying to be fairly conservative when it comes to the graphics of all the enemies being stored on the disk (or cart), and only using more complex graphics on bosses or where it is absolutely required. I am aware that in one 8x8 tile on MSX1 you can only have 2 colors per line within that tile, but what if the entire 8x8 tile is only two colors? Does that mean the tile can be stored in less space (Like each tile is 2 bytes compared to 4) or just generally be easier on the VDP?

Thanks :)

By Grauw

Ascended (8366)

Grauw's picture

14-08-2019, 11:37

It doesn’t really matter for the VDP, in theory you could use screen 1 (where you specify 2 colours per group of 8 tiles), however that screen mode is more limited which can be inconvenient, and it doesn’t really make it run faster or anything. It has enough video memory for screen 2 so trying to save on VRAM usage doesn’t really benefit it either, it would just mean more unused space.

However if it’s disk or ROM storage space you’re concerned about, compression is the answer. When you use compression using fewer colours will compress a bit better however you don’t really need to stick to 8x8 blocks on the grid. And in general I wouldn’t worry about it too much and not artifically limit yourself, the compression will probably do a pretty good job regardless and the few extra bytes you would save are not going to make the difference I think... especially for disk, there is plenty of space to store many many many compressed screen 2 graphics.

By R_Leo_1

Expert (69)

R_Leo_1's picture

14-08-2019, 11:52

Grauw wrote:

It doesn’t really matter for the VDP, in theory you could use screen 1 (where you specify 2 colours per group of 8 tiles), however that screen mode is more limited which can be inconvenient, and it doesn’t really make it run faster or anything. It has enough video memory for screen 2 so trying to save on VRAM usage doesn’t really benefit it either, it would just mean more unused space.

However if it’s disk or ROM storage space you’re concerned about, compression is the answer. When you use compression using fewer colours will compress a bit better however you don’t really need to stick to 8x8 blocks on the grid. And in general I wouldn’t worry about it too much and not artifically limit yourself, the compression will probably do a pretty good job regardless and the few extra bytes you would save are not going to make the difference I think... especially for disk, there is plenty of space to store many many many compressed screen 2 graphics.

This is great info, thanks Grauw! I hadn't thought of compression up until this point, so that'll be of great help in the long run. I can go back and add some more detail to those enemies, which is a relief since I wanted more details anyway Smile

By sd_snatcher

Prophet (3044)

sd_snatcher's picture

29-09-2019, 15:48

Remember to share them here from time to time. Smile

Of the last batch you shared, I liked these three a lot!



BTW, have you seen that you now have a section dedicated to you at the retro gallery? :)

By R_Leo_1

Expert (69)

R_Leo_1's picture

30-09-2019, 01:04

sd_snatcher wrote:

Remember to share them here from time to time. Smile

Of the last batch you shared, I liked these three a lot!

Hey thanks man, I really appreciate it!

sd_snatcher wrote:

BTW, have you seen that you now have a section dedicated to you at the retro gallery? :)

Also, WOW! I had no idea I had a page, that's awesome to see! :D Is this like a pixel art showcasing site?

By sd_snatcher

Prophet (3044)

sd_snatcher's picture

01-10-2019, 01:13

R_Leo_1 wrote:

Also, WOW! I had no idea I had a page, that's awesome to see! Big smile Is this like a pixel art showcasing site?

Yes, it is. Dedicated to preserve Pixel Art for the classic platforms in their native file formats.

Because, after the images are converted to some modern format (PNG, JPG), they:

1) Can't be seen on the original hardware anymore

2) Tend to become FUBAR, since people tend to stretch them and apply gamma correction (not to mention lossy compression), making it impossible to restore to the native format again

Be welcome to publish your images there, for any retro platform. You can even deep link the previews to show them on forums, like this:

It's much better than to use Photo Bucket, because it sadly messed up with all your images on other forums.

If the platform isn't on their list yet, you can ask for it to be included here.

Page 33/33
26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 |