Creating pixel art

Page 7/31
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12

By Lord_Zett

Paladin (807)

Lord_Zett's picture

09-03-2016, 22:28

marcos.m.carvajal.1 wrote:

Lord Zett, Is all that really drawn on an MSX. Great job! Nice to see all the quality art in your flickr page!

yep, all pixel art is drawn on msx and 80% of the game gfx to. the other 20% in editors as polka and p2(both special made for msx gfx)

so no tricks or ps or other things. just me a mouse or trackball and a good crt.

msx1 made with screen1 editor

By syn

Paragon (1910)

syn's picture

10-03-2016, 00:34

Not sure if its posted before but this is a nice guide imo http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/sywtbapa_almighty_grass_tile.php
I found this a few years back, imho a nice read.

http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/sywtbapa_making_sprite.php
Back then I did this as a exercise, creating my first animated walking sprite. I dont have it anymore but mine looked something like this (but different since I just drew it by looking at it instead of tracing/copy paste):


(image from that site)

By marcos.m.carvajal.1

Expert (83)

marcos.m.carvajal.1's picture

10-03-2016, 12:10

Lord_Zett wrote:

msx1 made with screen1 editor

Wow! nice screen! I love it. Pure MSX1 Magic!
I specially like the use of greens for the shadow of the bricks. Clever...

I would love to make a "VISUAL DEMO" of MSX1. Kind of a compilation of nice MSX1 screens. would be nice for all pixel artists around.

By marcos.m.carvajal.1

Expert (83)

marcos.m.carvajal.1's picture

10-03-2016, 12:20

syn wrote:

Not sure if its posted before but this is a nice guide imo

Great guide! I'ts the first time I see it. Drawing a character is easier than making a background, so it's nice to see a whole tutorial focused on world building.

Darn, now I want to make a tutorial too...

By Metalion

Paladin (987)

Metalion's picture

10-03-2016, 14:18

syn wrote:

Not sure if its posted before but this is a nice guide imo http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/sywtbapa_almighty_grass_tile.php
I found this a few years back, imho a nice read.

Very nice guide and tutorial ... :)

By Grauw

Enlighted (8015)

Grauw's picture

11-03-2016, 02:41

Agreed, nice tutorial, heh! Smile

I like how it approaches the pixel art more from the classic angle, while other tutorials have a more contemporary perspective. Some nice tips there too, like how to set up the background layer to retrace over in a light blue shade. I’ll try it out in Aseprite, though my pen-and-paper drawing skills are fairly weak as I noticed while making sketches Smile.

I notice that none of the tutorials I’ve seen discuss a limited-colour palette like our 9-bit 512-colour MSX2 palette. I guess it was never very common, with palettes generally being either a small fixed set or full 16-bit RGB… The MSX2’s palette is somewhere inbetween VDP generations it seems to me.

Dealing with the limited RGB range poses some challenges on its own, like not being able to get the exact colour or shading that you want. It’s one of the more difficult things to deal with imo. As you can see in my Rose picture earlier, the colours are quite a bit different from the original. Because of the face being a little more yellow and the hair being a little redder, I needed an additional colour for the highlights in the hair, whereas otherwise I could’ve gotten away with sharing it I think.

Something I noted is that to make nice gradients with our palette, you usually want to +1 or -1 all three colour components, rather than reducing or increasing them more proportionally. (The same applies to fade-ins and fade-outs, btw.)

By Grauw

Enlighted (8015)

Grauw's picture

03-04-2016, 22:48

Some new character graphics:

By Kai Magazine

Paragon (1242)

Kai Magazine's picture

03-04-2016, 23:09

Very very nice!
Congratulations!

By sd_snatcher

Prophet (2992)

sd_snatcher's picture

03-04-2016, 23:10

By Grauw

Enlighted (8015)

Grauw's picture

30-04-2016, 00:57

Page 7/31
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12