msx guru (3836)

Latok's picture

02-09-2018, 18:22

Why the 'Express'? I like SymbOs Mail Smile

By DrWh0

Paladin (826)

DrWh0's picture

02-09-2018, 18:42

Can support authenticated secure smtp? (nowadays most of isp uses it for avoiding mail relaying)

By karloch

Prophet (2139)

karloch's picture

02-09-2018, 18:51

MSX -even R800- cannot process TLS without the help of additional hardware. However, it is fairly simple to build a TLS proxy in our regular computer to talk with with TLS secured versions of POP, IMAP and SMTP. So the scheme would be:

MSX <----- SMTP -------> Proxy computer <------>  SMTPS <--------> Server

A good software for doing this is stunnel. Dropbox MSX client from Konamiman followed this strategy since the Dropbox API required HTTPS.

By edoz

Prophet (2392)

edoz's picture

02-09-2018, 19:25

Indeed, encryption would not be possible bare naked. Thanks for tunnel suggestion. That looks like a very need solution.
Currently i installed an open source email server on my PC which i want to use for testing. I like the idea to support IMAP which will just help to retrieve parts of emails etc. I'm still thinking how i should store the emails. At the moment i have the idea to store most on the disk. I think there is no other option than that. But if you have suggestions let me know. I also need to find out how to send and receive attachments. I think i need a base64 solution for that. Maybe i can also host a unsecured server or so. But let's see. First i need a working prototype Wink

By karloch

Prophet (2139)

karloch's picture

02-09-2018, 20:14

Indeed, you have quite a lot of work and possibilities to do with the client. Don't worry about the encryption part, that's something you can leave to the IT department Tongue

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9896)

wolf_'s picture

02-09-2018, 22:46

How about a silly old name based on stone-age technology?

Telegram

By edoz

Prophet (2392)

edoz's picture

05-09-2018, 16:40

wolf_ wrote:

How about a silly old name based on stone-age technology?

Telegram

Wow! Pefect! Thanks for the hint. I renamed it Big smile But with a small wink the Microsoft Express Wink

By KdL

Paragon (1408)

KdL's picture

06-09-2018, 20:10

Yay! It sounds very good now Running Naked in a Field of Flowers

By edoz

Prophet (2392)

edoz's picture

06-10-2018, 16:22

Thank you all for kind words and suggestions. Th GUI is 90% complete. It was time consuming to do that, but fun. Currently i started on the network part. First sending than receiving.. I created some kind of data store on the disk. But you need fat16 for that. This because i use a directory structure to store data. This because of the amount of data i have to handle ...it is very hard to do everything in memory so that is the reason i have to store parts on disk and get it back.

I made a small movie just to show the progress a bit. In the movie i add items to the address-book, create a new email, send it, and remove it again. (All sgainst the local network daemon in SymbOS)

Still in development

I already installed a email server @home.. so next step is to talk to that ;)

By syn

Prophet (2065)

syn's picture

06-10-2018, 16:23

Not wanting to ruin the fun or whatever... but there is an messenger app called Telegram, sorta like Whatsapp/Line. When I saw some video of this symbos telegram express posted on a facebook group, I really thought it was a client for Telegram on msx until I looked closer Wink

I'm not complaining, just mentioning it Wink

Page 2/10
1 | | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7