Outlook Express 2019 in development for SymbOS

Page 7/9
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | | 8 | 9

By edoz

Prophet (2168)

edoz's picture

01-07-2019, 16:47

karloch wrote:

MSX -even R800- cannot process TLS without the help of additional hardware. However, it is fairly simple to build a TLS proxy in our regular computer to talk with with TLS secured versions of POP, IMAP and SMTP. So the scheme would be:

MSX <----- SMTP -------> Proxy computer <------>  SMTPS <--------> Server

A good software for doing this is stunnel. Dropbox MSX client from Konamiman followed this strategy since the Dropbox API required HTTPS.

Hi i did try to use stunnel, but without success. Probably it is me having troubles making a good config file. Do you or can you make a example config file which i could use?

By ToriHino

Champion (348)

ToriHino's picture

03-07-2019, 18:46

Hi Edoz, tried your latest version and works fine. Indeed the refresh fix is solved the issue of sometimes a slower update, and like the other updates as well.

By edoz

Prophet (2168)

edoz's picture

05-07-2019, 14:39

ToriHino. Thanks for testing. Currently i do work on the attachments. I'm testing receiving attachments now. It seems to work but the download speed is a bit slow. Getting around 1 kb per sec. This is including processing and storing to disk .. not sure why it is slow and if this is normal yes or no. I wonder as well if we can adjust the TCP settings (maybe on the server side) to get better results.

By edoz

Prophet (2168)

edoz's picture

05-07-2019, 17:36

BTW. This is how my dev. desktop looks Big smile

Left the SymbOS workstation.. and right, a old Toshiba laptop (320CDS) running windows 98 ;) Using old email clients to test :D

By edoz

Prophet (2168)

edoz's picture

10-09-2019, 14:30

Today i came to the conclusion finishing this project makes no sense anymore to me. oO

There are many reasons for this. When i started this project i thought it was possible to make something like this... but during time i learned that email protocols, POP3, SMTP, IMAP, MIME formats are not that standard i thought. Oh yes.. they are standard on paper for sure Wink In fact. All those string manipulations, Base64 decoding/encoding, time formats, transfer bit rates, are a real pain to me. Next to that, emails from nowdays are full of shit and garbage (and take long to process). I'm sure if my main job was only doing this i could do it. But it is not Wink

So i decided not to finish it as a fully usable email client. At least not to make it fully compatible with nowdays email MIME formats. I'm still looking how to finish it in a way it will make sense and move over to a new SymbOS project.

The current state of the email client is that it works fine when using it between MSX machines and the opensource email server i use. That is all fine. As long you use a MSX machine at both sides it is running okay.

Sending a email to my "normal" email account works as well.... but the pain begins when receiving emails from other devices, like our smartphones or nowdays computers. Currently the SymBOS email client is receiving those, and when not crashing, it will display it partly or so. But i think it does not make any sense to finish that part.

In the end people will not use it anyway Wink Maybe they will give it a try, have some fun with it and than start playing a konami game again Big smile

By Grauw

Ascended (8309)

Grauw's picture

10-09-2019, 14:50

It’s awesome that you got as far as you did though! Super cool project, and I enjoyed watching the videos Smile. I don’t think you should feel bad for discontinuing it at all.

By edoz

Prophet (2168)

edoz's picture

10-09-2019, 16:43

Grauw wrote:

It’s awesome that you got as far as you did though! Super cool project, and I enjoyed watching the videos Smile. I don’t think you should feel bad for discontinuing it at all.

Thank you for your kind words! I like your movies as well!! Especially the last one! Smile But ... assembly is to complex for me Wink But i like to watch Wink

I'm not planning to completely discontinuing the project. That would be little shame of all the time i spend on it. The current goal is to fix some small things I'm able to do, make it as stable as i can. Maybe add base64 file download. As receiving files by email on MSX makes a little sense and i already can receive files. I only have to do the decode. Than i stop and start doing something else Big smile

At least i did a last status update here Wink

Current status of the project

By Manuel

Ascended (15600)

Manuel's picture

10-09-2019, 22:22

As Grauw said, I can't put it better Smile Kudos!

Perhaps you can first focus on plain text e-mails, as we sent them in 1995? Smile All that MIME, uuencoded/base64 and HTML crap... that's just how things turned astray during the years after.... But I bet all of that already works anyway Smile

By karloch

Prophet (2058)

karloch's picture

10-09-2019, 22:48

Congratulations for reaching this far edoz! I agree with Manuel, maybe you can focus on just plain text email. The HispaMSX BBS (and any Synchronet BBS) has the very same problem with gateways to mailing lists: plain text works well, but as soon as someone use other format, the pain begins.

Making a MSX understand HTML is not practical in terms of needed computing power. Maybe you can try next with an ANSI color telnet client for SymbOS Wink

By Grauw

Ascended (8309)

Grauw's picture

10-09-2019, 23:03

I think when an email client sends an HTML message it often also includes a plain text version. At least Thunderbird does, I think.

Page 7/9
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | | 8 | 9