Routine 4022h from Disk-ROM

By gdx

Prophet (3083)

gdx's picture

18-11-2019, 10:10

Hello,

Does anyone know why example 4 of the 4022h routine does not work?

https://www.msx.org/wiki/Disk-ROM_Bios

Login or register to post comments

By Louthrax

Prophet (2093)

Louthrax's picture

18-11-2019, 19:41

Hi GDX,

Could you give more details ? What is your MSX setup ? (Floppy disk only, Nextor only, Nextor with a floppy disk interface...).

Also, what is happening exactly (crash, return to BASIC but program not launched...) ?

By gdx

Prophet (3083)

gdx's picture

19-11-2019, 00:42

Hi Louthrax,

I tryed on my Turbo R with the Sunrise CF (Nextor Driver), but also on BlueMSX and OpenMSX (Turbo R + Sunrise IDE and also floppy disk interface only). The first three examples work well. This is normal it is a standard routine of the Disk-ROM but the fourth example does not work. It returns to BASIC without executing the BASIC program in memory. I found these examples in a MSX-DOS1 documentation.

Here are the examples ready to use:
https://mon-partage.fr/f/URctKYT5/

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5396)

NYYRIKKI's picture

19-11-2019, 20:13

gdx wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone know why example 4 of the 4022h routine does not work?

https://www.msx.org/wiki/Disk-ROM_Bios

I have no idea, what has made you to think that it could work like that? You don't even try to initialize VARTAB, ARYTAB, FRETOP, VARWRK, STKTOP, STREND, or anything... and even if you would it still would not work as the routine in 4022h it self works like NEW-command in BASIC as it does a full COLD START of BASIC, so it clears the first 3 bytes of BASIC program, clears BASIC internal variables etc. etc.

What you want to do can be most easily done by populating BASIC hooks, but not like this.

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5396)

NYYRIKKI's picture

19-11-2019, 20:34

Quickly looking my HDD, I found this... I hope it helps you to do what you want to do.

; Run MSXMEM2.BAS (for Zemmix CPC-51)
; By NYYRIKKI (10/2015)

OUTPUT "MSXMEM2.ROM"

ORG #4000
;HOOK:	EQU #FDC2		; Character get routine HOOK.
DOSHOOK: EQU #FDC2		; Character get routine HOOK.

HOOK:   EQU     #FF07           ; Works! (but not on DOS2)

;HOOK:   EQU      #FEF8          ; End of BASIC program (Only works when disk connected)
ENASLT	EQU	0024H		;enable slot
RSLREG	EQU	0138H		;read primary slot select register
EXPTBL	EQU	0FCC1H		;slot is expanded or not
BUF	equ	0F55EH
STKTOP	equ	0F674H
TXTTAB	equ	0F676H
VARTAB	equ	0F6C2H
BOTTOM	equ	0FC48H

DW #4241,BEGIN,0,0,0,0,0,0

BEGIN:
        LD A,#F7 ; RST 30H
        LD (HOOK),A
        LD (DOSHOOK),A

CALL GETSLOTID

LD (HOOK+1),A
	LD (DOSHOOK+1),A
        LD HL,STARTUP
        LD (HOOK+2),HL
 	LD HL,DOSQUIT
	LD (DOSHOOK+2),HL
        LD A,#C9
        LD (HOOK+4),A
        LD (DOSHOOK+4),A
        RET

DOSQUIT:

LD	HL,#C9C9
        LD	(DOSHOOK),HL
        LD	(DOSHOOK+2),HL
        LD      A,(#F37D)
        CP      #C3
        RET     NZ            ; We have no idea what is going on, let's wait.
                              ; At least we have disk bios, let's go to BASIC!
        LD	A,(#FFA8)
        ld	iyh,a
        ld	ix,#4022
        jp	#1C

STARTUP:
        LD HL,#C9C9
        LD (HOOK),HL
        LD (HOOK+2),HL
        LD (DOSHOOK),HL
        LD (DOSHOOK+2),HL

LD HL,BASBEGIN+1
        LD DE,(#F676)
        LD BC,BASEND-BASBEGIN-1
        LDIR
        LD (#F6C2),DE
        RST 030H
        DB #80
        DW #4253

ld	hl,RUN;T69B9
	ld	de,BUF+10
	ld	bc,5
	ldir

ld	sp,(STKTOP)
	ld	hl,#4173
	push	hl			; execute RUN command
	ld	hl,BUF+10-1
	push	hl			; ´basicpointer´
	ld	hl,BUF+64
	push	hl
	ld	(hl),0E1H
	inc	hl
	ld	(hl),0C9H		; pop the basicpointer when returning

ld	a,(EXPTBL+0)
	ld	h,00H
	CALL    ENASLT

ld	a,(EXPTBL+0)
	ld	h,040H
	jp	ENASLT			; enable basic-rom on page 1

RUN:    defb   ":RUN",0

GETSLOTID:
	IN 	A,(#A8)
	RRCA			;move it to bit 0,1 of [Acc]
	RRCA
	AND	00000011B
	LD	C,A
	LD	B,0
	LD	HL,#FCC1	;see if this slot is expanded or not
	ADD	HL,BC
	LD	C,A		;save primary slot #
	LD	A,(HL)		;See if the slot is expanded or not
	AND	80H
	OR	C		;set MSB if so
	LD	C,A		;save it to [C]
	INC	HL		;Point to SLTTBL entry
	INC	HL
	INC	HL
	INC	HL
	LD	A,(HL)		;Get what is currently output
				;to expansion slot register
	AND	00001100B
	OR	C		;Finally form slot address (SlotID)
	RET

BASBEGIN:
        INCBIN "MSXMEM2.BAS"
BASEND:

DS #8000-$

By gdx

Prophet (3083)

gdx's picture

20-11-2019, 01:00

NYYRIKKI wrote:

I have no idea, what has made you to think that it could work like that? You don't even try to initialize VARTAB, ARYTAB, FRETOP, VARWRK, STKTOP, STREND, or anything... and even if you would it still would not work as the routine in 4022h it self works like NEW-command in BASIC as it does a full COLD START of BASIC, so it clears the first 3 bytes of BASIC program, clears BASIC internal variables etc. etc.

Thanks NYYRIKKI, I found these 4 examples in a MSX-DOS1 documentation. Your routine has the same effect as Example 1.

3 out of 4 examples work. So I think if the fourth does not work, it's probably because there's an error somewhere. I'm looking for the reason.

Interest of the routine is to launch a Basic program simply from a DOS program without initialize VARTAB, ARYTAB, FRETOP, VARWRK, STKTOP, STREND, or anything...

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5396)

NYYRIKKI's picture

20-11-2019, 09:03

gdx wrote:

Thanks NYYRIKKI, I found these 4 examples in a MSX-DOS1 documentation. Your routine has the same effect as Example 1.

No, my routine does not load a file from disk, but from ROM and therefore it is similar to what I think example 4 is trying to do. This routine has some extra stuff around as I wanted it to execute AUTOEXEC.BAT before jumping to BASIC and executing the program from cartridge, but anyway...

Quote:

3 out of 4 examples work. So I think if the fourth does not work, it's probably because there's an error somewhere. I'm looking for the reason.

Well, the fact that 3 out of 4 happen to work does not make them good examples... Actually they look pretty bad to my eyes:

REBOOT is set to NZ by COMMAND.COM as well as the routine it self (after handling), so I think there is no reason for user to touch it in normal situation. The reading of pointer from start of TEMPST (temporary string descriptors) also looks very weird to me... Looking from debugger this memory contains pointer to address 0 in DOS. I guess this might be bug and they meant TXTTAB, but even in that case the routine would be useless as this will be done by the STBAS anyway... or maybe they meant TEMPPT ? ... at least it does not work and is useless. -> Bad idea as an example

It might be that these examples are from some official MSX-DOS1 documentation (link would be nice), but I have found no evidence that there could be any possibility for the 4th routine to work on any MSX setup. Only reasons why it could not ever work. Maybe these examples were written before actual code for disk ROM was properly planned or implemented? Hard to say.

By gdx

Prophet (3083)

gdx's picture

20-11-2019, 10:26

Ok I removed the fourth example. I tryed other seems on some machines. They seems works.

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5396)

NYYRIKKI's picture

20-11-2019, 10:35

gdx wrote:

Ok I removed the fourth example. I tryed other seems on some machines. They seems works.

I bet they work fine on all machines. They are just over complicated due to extra stuff they do.