OpenMSX 0.12.0 Reverse not recording.

Page 1/3
| 2 | 3

By Huey

Prophet (2675)

Huey's picture

26-03-2016, 16:46

I had to move to another laptop. I'm trying to debug TT using the reverse function but it is not replaying any of the input? I can only go back in time.

I have set the reverse bar to 'gui'. Do I need to start anything else to get it working?

Login or register to post comments

By Manuel

Ascended (18233)

Manuel's picture

26-03-2016, 17:19

Try to do a very basic test: start openMSX with a normal machine (not C-BIOS). In BASIC just type a few things. Then reverse back to the start and see if it gets typed again.
Also see if the time bar actually shows that it's starting from 0 and the end time (on the right) isn't reset to 0:00. So, only the 'current time' marker should go back to 0.

Did you use openMSX 0.12.0 on the other laptop, or were you using a (newer) development build?

By wouter_

Champion (469)

wouter_'s picture

26-03-2016, 17:42

Replaying gets interrupted as soon as you give new input to the MSX. It's easy to do this by accident if you have a MSX mouse plugged in. Perhaps you're hitting this?
You can disable/enable this interruption mechanism with the command "reverse viewonlymode ".

By Manuel

Ascended (18233)

Manuel's picture

26-03-2016, 18:02

To be clear: if the end time on the right of the reverse bar is set to the current time, you know that the replay is interrupted and 'we forget the future ever happened'. That's why I asked to check if you actually see the current time indicator move back and go through the time line. If you've interrupted the replay, the current time indicator will always be at the end of the reverse bar. It's recording then and not replaying. The color of the reverse bar is then also different: it's blue when replaying, green when replaying in viewonly mode (it cannot be interrupted then) and red when recording.

By Huey

Prophet (2675)

Huey's picture

26-03-2016, 20:43

The Bar resets to the time i click with my mouse. It is partly blue for a fraction of time.
I do not touch the keyboard I only click with mouse.

By Manuel

Ascended (18233)

Manuel's picture

26-03-2016, 20:48

THen it's probably what Wouter said: in your emulated MSX you have an MSX mouse inserted. When you move your PC mouse (which is also used to emulate the MSX mouse), you create new input and then all future events are erased as you changed the time line.

Unplug the MSX mouse from the MSX (or switch to viewonly mode but it depends on what exactly you want to do if that's practicle).

By Huey

Prophet (2675)

Huey's picture

26-03-2016, 20:59

How can I unplug the mouse in openMSX?

In Catapult I have nothing connected on the joyports. Also unplug joyporta and unplug joyportb do not change the results.

By Huey

Prophet (2675)

Huey's picture

26-03-2016, 21:14

Switching to 0.10.0 solved the issue!

By Manuel

Ascended (18233)

Manuel's picture

26-03-2016, 21:42

Wait a sec, at which point did you do the unplug commands? It doesn't help if you do that not at the start of the timeline. If you do it later, the mouse will be back when you jump back.

Did you try the latest development version of openMSX? We fixed quite a few issues after the 0.12.0 release, including an issue with Catapult that autoplugged stuff.

Going to such an old version is not something that helps us to fix the real issue...

What you can also do is the following: when you get the issue, save the replay and send it to me. Then I can check from the file what caused the interruption.

By Huey

Prophet (2675)

Huey's picture

26-03-2016, 21:50

I downloaded the latest 0.12.0

By Manuel

Ascended (18233)

Manuel's picture

26-03-2016, 21:53

What is the full version number? Development versions are on openmsx.fixato.net, just saying to be sure you got that and not the normal 0.12.0 release.

Page 1/3
| 2 | 3