BEER IDE 202 on Windows 10

Page 2/2
1 |

By st1mpy

Hero (519)

st1mpy's picture

24-12-2019, 10:52

Can an emulator read/write the CF for Beer ide on the PC?

By Manuel

Ascended (16025)

Manuel's picture

24-12-2019, 11:36

It is probably possible, but a bit tricky without the proper tools (or Linux):
1. make a full raw dump of the CF card
2. use that in openMSX for the Beer IDE extension
3. do your thing on it
4. write the image back to the CF card

This probably works, but no guarantees Tongue

You can leave out step 1 if you already know the exact right size or take a little bit smaller size. Then for step 2 use a disk image file of the proper size.

By st1mpy

Hero (519)

st1mpy's picture

24-12-2019, 12:48

Did some more reading, some people are saying the first partition can be read by pc, it appears I have an old ROM or tool. I'll try to find a new one. So that could sort out the file exchange between PC and MSX. But first time setup for MSX1 without floppy drive is still not convenient. The beer ide rom should have the partition tool build in from the beginning...

By st1mpy

Hero (519)

st1mpy's picture

29-12-2019, 11:57

I did some more reading around various forums and testing. In summary the Beer Ide 202 appears to be working on Windows 7 Home 32 bit. Do the obvious stuff like installing the DLLs it complains about, VB related files, run as admin and run with xp compatibility. Then you get to the point it looks like the CF is not getting displayed with colour bars in the Beer ide 202 tool. So the solution appears to be this:

Prepare a CF card by formating in Fat16. Just use a small (I used a 64mb) CF which windows will automatically format with fat16, or use a third party formatter which gives you a choice. Insert the CF to Windows pc. Run the Beer ide 202 tool. In the tool, make sure this CF is selected, not your hdd. In this first run, just press initialise, then quit the tool. Now the CF should appear unformatted to Windows, ignore the popup. Run beer ide 202 again, you can now press add, enter size, it should show as a colour bar. Repeat until you have 4 partitions. Press format to format each partition. Set the partition 0 as boot by clicking boot, click add OS to add msx-dos. Quit the tool.

Insert it in beer ide and switch on the MSX. In this cf, A: drive (the drive letter may be different if you have a FDD, basically the partition 0) can be seen by both windows and MSX. So this partition can be used to swap files between msx and pc. The CF prepared this way is compatible with beer ide rom version 1.9 only, not the 1.8 (you can't use the tool, you need to do fdisk on the MSX).

Page 2/2
1 |