The Cartridge-Only philosophising

Page 4/23
1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

By MsxKun

Paladin (903)

MsxKun's picture

12-12-2015, 15:49

giuseve wrote:

... remember we are in 2016: MSX FlashCartridges and SofaRun exist !!
Let me know what do you think ...

Remember REAL MSX's ---STILL EXISTS---!! (that's mostly about the other part of the message, not the quote one, but well... Nishi )

By Grauw

Ascended (8318)

Grauw's picture

12-12-2015, 15:50

I think releasing a game on cartridge is most importantly also an act of love for the MSX. It’s certainly a dream of mine Smile. In cartridge form, because the production costs are so high, I would accept less profit margin to realise that dream. However in digital format I would want to ask the true price that I feel is right for my product.

So that’s why I think the digital cost shouldn’t just be “cartridge price - production cost”. Also considering that, if the price difference is too much, people might not buy the cartridge and my game wouldn’t get distributed in that cartridge format I like so much, which leaves behind so much “legacy”.

But then again there’s also the desire for the market of your games to be as large as possible, and indeed a portion users do not own real hardware to play on anymore. Maybe a timed exclusive cartridge release is the answer.

By MsxKun

Paladin (903)

MsxKun's picture

12-12-2015, 15:54

Grauw wrote:

I think releasing a game on cartridge is most importantly also an act of love for the MSX.

Cartridges are just plain EROTIC.

By Grauw

Ascended (8318)

Grauw's picture

12-12-2015, 15:57

Oh sexy!

By RetroTechie

Paragon (1563)

RetroTechie's picture

12-12-2015, 20:16

Jipe wrote:

for personnal use : buy the cartride version an make the rom files yourself for use in your flashrom

That ignores all users who don't have a real MSX anymore which includes cartridge slot AND storage device. Even modern devices like Altera DE1 (no cartridge slot). Or isn't used anymore because it died. Or for other reasons like say, convenience.

Which I suspect is the vast majority of MSX users anyway. Sure, on a forum like this it may feel like everybody has a choice of MSX machines ready & waiting. But those most active MSX users are the minority.

For each user on this forum, there's a couple other MSX users who run their machines once in a while, play some games & enjoy, but never participate in a forum like this. For each user of a real machine, there's an X number of emulator users.

But ALL of those users are potential buyers. The more format (+ delivery method!) matches what a buyer wants, the higher the chance a sale can be made (of course with price being another big factor).

Also "buy the cartride version an make the rom files yourself" misses the point: that for making a sale & having a user enjoy the product, the extra cost of a cartridge, printing a manual and shipping that, isn't necessary in the first place. As software distribution 'vehicle', a cartridge is as necessary as an ice cream seller in a snowstorm. Nishi But that added cost does serve to exclude a large section of potential buyers.

ericb59 wrote:

a cartridge collection have a value. A rom collection have absolutely no value !

Each serves a different purpose. I see cartridges as collector's item, to hold in hand for nostalgia, show to others, check out how the real hardware works, potential modding items, etc. A 'deluxe' version of the software inside.
Digital .rom files serve as convenient long-term storage format. Something that I'll probably keep around in one way or another no matter what happens.
Some games I may want both in cartridge and .rom format. Some games I may not give one f*** about as cartridge, but not mind to have in my .rom collection.

So I'd be the last to argue against distributing software on cartridge. My issue is with having that as the only option - with associated extra/unnecessary cost.

Quote:

best way to support Msx and Msx developpers is to buy their products.

Best way to support MSX developers is
a) Show your appreciation. Smile "Great, thanks a lot! Nice work there, dude!" goes a long way. And a good coding job that includes a bunch of ripped graphics, is just that: a good coding job. Like Manuel, I don't care. Especially if ripped from some 20+ year old other software. As long as it's clear who deserves kudos for which part(s) of the job.
b) Where possible, put some money in their pockets as token of that appreciation.

All else is secondary, imho. Although yes, sometimes it is nice to have a nice box with cartridge, shiny disk or whatever.

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

12-12-2015, 23:25

Hi, Giuseve

As the developer of Caos Begins, I can send you a digital copy of the exact ROM in the cartridges for a fair price. Let me know if you agree.

Guillian, I hope this is not a problem for you ;-)

By Dreamerm42

Hero (621)

Dreamerm42's picture

13-12-2015, 01:28

if you have no real MSX , the solution is a " Cart Reader" to work on emulators . I prefer the real physical and digital versions formats.

By Guillian

Prophet (3230)

Guillian's picture

13-12-2015, 10:14

@MrSpock Of course it is not a problem. I just provide a service to produce real cartridges. But the developer can decide how he wants to distribute the game. There is no exclusivity (^_^)

By Ramones

Champion (264)

Ramones's picture

13-12-2015, 11:48

RetroTechie wrote:

That ignores all users who don't have a real MSX anymore which includes cartridge slot AND storage device. Even modern devices like Altera DE1 (no cartridge slot). Or isn't used anymore because it died. Or for other reasons like say, convenience.

Yes... I ignore these "users" when I make new game.

RetroTechie wrote:

Which I suspect is the vast majority of MSX users anyway. Sure, on a forum like this it may feel like everybody has a choice of MSX machines ready & waiting. But those most active MSX users are the minority.

You are right. The most active users on these forums are no-msx users but "please- -give-me-all-your-games-free-to-play-on-my-emulator-if-no-then-you-are-bad-people"

RetroTechie wrote:

For each user on this forum, there's a couple other MSX users who run their machines once in a while, play some games & enjoy, but never participate in a forum like this. For each user of a real machine, there's an X number of emulator users.

You're right (2). I propose to do a non-msx.org forums for this active-emulator users.

RetroTechie wrote:

But ALL of those users are potential buyers.

No. You're WRONG. Those users NEVER pay for anything.

RetroTechie wrote:

The more format (+ delivery method!) matches what a buyer wants, the higher the chance a sale can be made (of course with price being another big factor).

The price is always another big factor for non-msx users.

RetroTechie wrote:

Also "buy the cartride version an make the rom files yourself" misses the point: that for making a sale & having a user enjoy the product, the extra cost of a cartridge, printing a manual and shipping that, isn't necessary in the first place. As software distribution 'vehicle', a cartridge is as necessary as an ice cream seller in a snowstorm. Nishi But that added cost does serve to exclude a large section of potential buyers.

You are wrong (2).

RetroTechie wrote:

Best way to support MSX developers is
a) Show your appreciation. Smile "Great, thanks a lot! Nice work there, dude!" goes a long way. And a good coding job that includes a bunch of ripped graphics, is just that: a good coding job. Like Manuel, I don't care. Especially if ripped from some 20+ year old other software. As long as it's clear who deserves kudos for which part(s) of the job.
b) Where possible, put some money in their pockets as token of that appreciation.

I want b) option. With +1 or likes I can't eat Smile

This image summarise perfectly this:

By ericb59

Paladin (855)

ericb59's picture

13-12-2015, 12:50

Quote:

Yes... I ignore these "users" when I make new game.

I Agree!

Quote:

No. You're WRONG. Those users NEVER pay for anything.

Most of them never pay ! I agree.

Quote:

You're right (2). I propose to do a non-msx.org forums for this active-emulator users.

hahaha ! Stop ! You make me giggling ! Tongue

Page 4/23
1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9