The Cartridge-Only philosophising

Page 8/23
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

14-12-2015, 19:04

Eugeny_Brychkov wrote:

Thus I assume this thread is a kind of provocation for all of us. World is full of assumptions, the only thing is what action this assumption will lead to and what will be the impact.

Action taken by the guy who started this thread:

giuseve wrote:

My mail is nowarez AT please DOT ok and if you can, please send me the dumped version of the FULL VERSION of these games.

So, although he stated that he would pay for it and blah blah blah...it doesn't seem very credible when he finishes the post with a demand of the dumps of FULL GAMES even if they didn't negotiate the terms before.

I can understand why Ramones suspects this is just another crude case of piracy. I do as well.

And BTW, I don't think that moving the topic out of the homebrew arena is fair. If I understood well, this thread is about the recent developments and products that are still selling, and about the reasons that are pushing modern MSX developers to quit.

By iamweasel2

Hero (526)

iamweasel2's picture

14-12-2015, 13:27

Ramones wrote:
Meits wrote:
Ramones wrote:

Ok... And the rest of games? You are waiting
a friend send you these games, sure.

Dangerous assumption. Would you happen to be that one guy who has no illegal software at all? All your Konami's are paid for?

This is the "Adult" MSX Community I was calling... You prefer attack to the developer who defends his product than Giuseve.

Big applause. Of course, when I was written the post I knew I was alone in this fight. Bad luck. Crying

Guys, take it easy. I'm sure no one here meant disrespect to a developer wishes. Being a developer myself, I would be the last person on earth to do that. We are just talking here, if someone does not want to sell digital copies of his game, it is his right to do that and we will respect that, end of discussion. There's no need to take it personal.

Most of the software I built was as an employee, so I didn't have to deal with the question about how it would be sold. The few hobby software projects I had any participation, I decided to give it for free (or I only joined projects that were free software). This way I had no problem about digital or physical copies (As a matter of fact, there wasn't any physical copies available AFAIK), people pirating it or not... I feel it is better this way because there's no way someone can do anything that will hurt my feelings (ok, if they erase my name and put their name instead I'll be angry, but that never happened).

Peace guys.

By Meits

Scribe (5647)

Meits's picture

14-12-2015, 13:39

Ramones wrote:
Meits wrote:
Ramones wrote:

Ok... And the rest of games? You are waiting
a friend send you these games, sure.

Dangerous assumption. Would you happen to be that one guy who has no illegal software at all? All your Konami's are paid for?

This is the "Adult" MSX Community I was calling... You prefer attack to the developer who defends his product than Giuseve.

Big applause. Of course, when I was written the post I knew I was alone in this fight. Bad luck. Crying

No, you're not alone... I just don't back you up on just the point I quoted...

By ericb59

Paladin (875)

ericb59's picture

14-12-2015, 14:38

Questions are :

-> Who is a MSX user ?
My answer, a guy who is using real MSX machines for fun !

-> Who is not a MSX user ?
My answer, someone who use only Emulators. Or use Amstrad, Atari, etc ... oO

-> As a Developper, who do you want play your games ?
My answer, only true MSX users. (CF answer 1, and ideally who had a MSX in the 80')

-> As a Developper, do you take into account people who use only Emultors ?
My answer. No ! Because my hobby is to use retro computer for people who use retro computers too.

-> If digitals Roms are well protected and are well sold. Will you think different ?
My answer, Absolutly not. My pleasure is thinking people will use my games, and cartridges. I don't care of money.

By gdx

Prophet (3083)

gdx's picture

14-12-2015, 14:55

The last question is interesting. Why try to protect a game if we do it for pleasure? (if the money does not matter)

By AxelStone

Prophet (2701)

AxelStone's picture

14-12-2015, 15:00

ericb59 wrote:

Questions are :

-> Who is a MSX user ?
My answer, a guy who is using real MSX machines for fun !

-> Who is not a MSX user ?
My answer, someone who use only Emulators. Or use Amstrad, Atari, etc ... oO

Totally agree. Real MSX user uses real MSX machine, including of course 1Chip and Zemmix Smile

By ericb59

Paladin (875)

ericb59's picture

14-12-2015, 15:04

That's what I said GDX. I personnaly don't accept the argument of all who said "Yes, but if you sold digital copies, you will sold more and earn more..."
I don't care ! And, even if someone make an anti piracy system... I don't care. My aim is to give pleasure to real MSX users.
(People who use real MSX machines).

My biggest pleasure some weeks ago was to send more than 30 cartridges to Japan.
I'm very proud to think japaneses will play with european games, and use my cartridges.

By Metalion

Paladin (1013)

Metalion's picture

14-12-2015, 15:32

ericb59 wrote:

Questions are :

-> Who is a MSX user ?
My answer, a guy who is using real MSX machines for fun !

-> Who is not a MSX user ?
My answer, someone who use only Emulators. Or use Amstrad, Atari, etc ... oO

Well, I disagree on that one.

I consider myself an MSX user, and I have been using only emulators for the past 5 years.
I do have several machines, but I don't have the place or the room to install them and play.
It's a 1000x easier to fire up an emulator than to unbox my machines, and hook them up.
I have the same pleasure and I enjoy myself as much as if it was on a real machine.

And I would feel very bad and angry if people would "judge" my level of implication towards the MSX, solely based on that single and meaningful fact. I can't believe that, being such a small hobby, we still feel the need to categorize people and invent clans, just for the sake of it.

As for the digital copies, as someone already said, the answer is quite simple : either the author agrees to it, or he don't. It's his own decision, and I, for one, does not understand why we would or could make a judgment about it.

By Eugeny_Brychkov

Paragon (1106)

Eugeny_Brychkov's picture

14-12-2015, 15:48

I agree with Metalion: please be careful defining who is MSX user and who is not.
MSX user is a subset of retro-PC user, and this retro-PC user includes Atari, Amstrad, Commodore, etc. Individual can be in several subsets at the same time. It is wrong to say that if one uses Amstrad he is not eligible to be MSX user.

Instead of uniting all the people who like old stuff you oppose all them against MSX community.

Here's my version:

-> Who is a MSX user ?
The individual who knows about MSX, and sometimes uses real MSX machine or emulator. Well, you can add here also the individual who has at least one real MSX hardware.

-> Who is not a MSX user ?
The one who does not care about MSX, and does not have emulation or real MSX hardware.

-> As a Developer, who do you want play your games ?
Anyone. More diverse people play games, more we have awareness about MSX in the world.

-> As a Developer, do you take into account people who use only Emulators ?
Of course. Emulators are handy.

-> If digitals Roms are well protected and are well sold. Will you think different ?
I do not understand the statement. If it is meant if they are protected, then they are in market demand then NO. Good software is in market demand, not the one which is protected.

Edit: I think it is meaningless talking about protection of the software. Any technological protection can be broken, the real protection is in our minds. We should protect each other, and people from other communities too, and it means that we should have ties to other communities and them have ties to ours. Only then we all will survive. Let's stop religious wars who likes MSX more and who is the rightful or true retro-PC user Evil

By ericb59

Paladin (875)

ericb59's picture

14-12-2015, 15:42

Don't misunderstood what I sait Metalion. I don't judge anyone. What I said (perhaps badly) is my work on the MSX scene aim to the users who are using Real MSX.

Page 8/23
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13