GR8NET question

Page 1/2
| 2

By Latok

msx guru (3694)

Latok's picture

27-11-2019, 00:49

I decided to give gr8net another spin, coz last time things didn't work out. If you stroll through the manual, though, things look very promising...

I managed to select mode 11 with konami scc in subslot 3.

I thought msxaudio, msxmusic and when selected, scc are present in gr8net. Why is it then, I never succeeded in getting any sounds from the device.

In trilotracker, no scc has been found. The file selection menu makes the program hang. According to vgmplay.com the selected vgm files are no vgm files and so on and on... I get so many errors....

To me, working with gr8net is frustrating. The manual is too fragmented and difficult for me.

Maybe someone can help me out, as I believe I am missing out on a lot of fun.

Login or register to post comments

By Grauw

Ascended (8508)

Grauw's picture

27-11-2019, 01:05

As for VGMPlay, be sure to get the latest development version from here.

As for GR8NET, are you on a recent firmware version?

By Eugeny_Brychkov

Paragon (1106)

Eugeny_Brychkov's picture

27-11-2019, 08:05

Latok wrote:

I decided to give gr8net another spin, coz last time things didn't work out. If you stroll through the manual, though, things look very promising...

Please report your issues to me. No bugs can be solved or changes can be performed if I do not hear about your problems.

Grauw wrote:

As for GR8NET, are you on a recent firmware version?

This is the great question to start with. Manual focuses on the latest firmware, however has a list of changes at the very end.

Latok wrote:

I thought msxaudio, msxmusic and when selected, scc are present in gr8net. Why is it then, I never succeeded in getting any sounds from the device.

Please be as precise as possible. What sounds are you talking about? No MSX-Audio? No MSX-Music? No SCC? Are MSX-Audio and MSX-Music enabled (_netget opl)? Did you put MSX-Music ROM into the RAM (_netfkopllr)? What are mixer settings (_netgetmix)? Did you accidentally change volumes to mute devices (_netsndvol)?

Latok wrote:

In trilotracker, no scc has been found. The file selection menu makes the program hang.

I do not know how this application works, the first idea I get is that SCC is in subslot, and not all programs can support this configuration.

Latok wrote:

I get so many errors....

Screenshot please, so that Grauw and I can look into the problem.

Latok wrote:

To me, working with gr8net is frustrating. The manual is too fragmented and difficult for me.

Yes, GR8NET is a complex device, and manual is a mess if you do not read it top down. Start with the table of contents, and search for keywords using ^F. I recommend taking a time and look through the whole manual to get an idea of structure of the information in it.

Please report issues to me and we will try resolving the problem or set your GR8NET's configuration properly to achieve your needs and wants.

By Sylvester

Champion (399)

Sylvester's picture

27-11-2019, 10:59

This is what I use to setup my GR8NET:

CALLNETTGTMAP(27) // Set mapper to 512K + 512K + Nextor + K5 (SCC)
CALLNETSETCLOUD(0) // Disable cloud 
CALLNETSETPSG(2) // set psg on own port, so 2x psg
CALLNETSETOPL(1) // disable OPL, enable MSX-Audio (use 0 to enable both)
CALL NETSAVE

By Latok

msx guru (3694)

Latok's picture

30-11-2019, 11:12

Thank you for all the responses! I even got private messages and I appreciate it a lot Smile

Yesterday, I tried stuff. And it gave me both joy and frustration.

Sylvester, thank you for the setup config. With this I managed to get MSX-AUDIO up and running! Then again, callnetsetcloud and callnetsetpsg give Syntax Errors on my system...

Then I tried to implement the FMPAC ROM so programs would recognize it and I would get some MSXMUSIC sounds. At first try I ended up in some F2 (??) mode which simply booted into BASIC without any GR8NET commands available. Every CALL gave syntax error. How to solve this?! Somewhere I read that booting with CURSOR UP bypassed the GR8NET, so I thought, maybe booting with CURSOR DOWN boots GR8NET in mode 0. And amazingly, IT DID! From there I finally managed to get into mode 8 with the FMPAK ROM available. Then I tried playing MGS-files with MGSEL, but no luck. Only PSG. Then I tried the MICRO MUSIC tsr to listen to XAK music. Without any luck. Then I gave up the MSX MUSIC.

Ok, I thought, let's try connecting the GR8NET to the internet. I got this figured out quite quickly and with the NETSETBROWSE command I found myself playing some games from the server. Good stuff!

Both Eugeny and Grauw advised me to update the firmware. So, I tried. First the flash chip. I managed to load the update.bin, but after CALLNETFWUPDATE(3) the system gave me a message that the content/image/file was NOT SUITED and advised me to abort, which I did.

So far for updating the flash chip. Then the FPGA chip firmware update. Again, I managed to load the gr8net-fpga-reg.bin file, but after CALL NETFPGAUPD I got errors. I/O errors, other errors. Whatever errors.

This GR8NET is quite a rollercoaster....

By Meits

Scribe (5647)

Meits's picture

30-11-2019, 11:41

Latok wrote:

I managed to load the update.bin, but after CALLNETFWUPDATE(3) the system gave me a message that the content/image/file was NOT SUITED and advised me to abort, which I did.

I was confused about that as well but was told (I guess somewhere on a previous page in this thread) to just update.

By Pencioner

Paladin (990)

Pencioner's picture

30-11-2019, 13:18

@Latok:

Try this: bloadable fw - if you have a floppy or other mass storage, copy on it and run fwupdate.bas to resolve fw update issues and update to the latest version

Latok wrote:

This GR8NET is quite a rollercoaster....

It has some learning curve, the first device for MSX which made me to take real effort to configure what i needed :)

By Latok

msx guru (3694)

Latok's picture

30-11-2019, 13:27

Pencioner wrote:

@Latok:

Try this: bloadable fw - if you have a floppy or other mass storage, copy on it and run fwupdate.bas to resolve fw update issues and update to the latest version

Latok wrote:

This GR8NET is quite a rollercoaster....

It has some learning curve, the first device for MSX which made me to take real effort to configure what i needed :)

No floppy, only the SD card in the gr8net. In which mode do I need to put the gr8net to be able to update?

By Latok

msx guru (3694)

Latok's picture

30-11-2019, 13:29

Meits wrote:
Latok wrote:

I managed to load the update.bin, but after CALLNETFWUPDATE(3) the system gave me a message that the content/image/file was NOT SUITED and advised me to abort, which I did.

I was confused about that as well but was told (I guess somewhere on a previous page in this thread) to just update.

Uh, that would be rather silly....

By Pencioner

Paladin (990)

Pencioner's picture

30-11-2019, 13:33

Latok wrote:
Pencioner wrote:

@Latok:

Try this: bloadable fw - if you have a floppy or other mass storage, copy on it and run fwupdate.bas to resolve fw update issues and update to the latest version

Latok wrote:

This GR8NET is quite a rollercoaster....

It has some learning curve, the first device for MSX which made me to take real effort to configure what i needed :)

No floppy, only the SD card in the gr8net. In which mode do I need to put the gr8net to be able to update?

You can't use this method with GR8NET as storage. But, it is obvious that you can use someone else's computer or mass storage card to do that. You can borrow SD cartridge from someone or visit someone to help, maybe...

By Pencioner

Paladin (990)

Pencioner's picture

30-11-2019, 13:35

Latok wrote:
Meits wrote:
Latok wrote:

I managed to load the update.bin, but after CALLNETFWUPDATE(3) the system gave me a message that the content/image/file was NOT SUITED and advised me to abort, which I did.

I was confused about that as well but was told (I guess somewhere on a previous page in this thread) to just update.

Uh, that would be rather silly....

Yes, that's a hilarious message. It actually means that the firmware on GR8NET and in memory are different. Which is quite confusing, myself has been confused as well once... So try to just confirm, maybe that will work (but if you updated BIOS already, and FPGA is not updated, then you will get errors of course)

Page 1/2
| 2