Help with Extra Ram + SCC While using Floppy Disks

Page 1/2
| 2

By LowRes

Resident (49)

LowRes's picture

21-01-2018, 11:58

Hi guys,

I'm new here and just picked up a Panasonic FS-A1F which only has 64kB of ram. I'm trying to figure out what the best way for me to play floppy disks with SCC+ and get the extra ram I need for most games. If I buy the MegaFlashRom Scc+ SD 1 Slot + 512kB, can I use it as a SCC cart and take advantage of the 512kB ram while playing floppy disks? or do I have to load the games off the SD card in order to take advantage of the SCC and Extra ram?

Ultimately I want to be able to play Snatcher + SD Snatcher from the floppy drive using the SCC+ and 512kB Extra Ram

other options I'm exploring is buying a Konami cart with SCC and disable the game so it can be used as a SCC cart, but I'd also have to figure out how to upgrade the ram in my system.

I know I can just load the games off SD from the MegaFlashRom but I would also like to be able to still use the floppy drive like normal but with the benefit of SCC + 512kB ram

any help greatly appreciated, I'm new to msx and I've been researching everything about msx for the past 3 days Smile learning a lot from these forums and the site.

Login or register to post comments

By Meits

Scribe (4962)

Meits's picture

21-01-2018, 13:25

If you have a MegaFlashRom SCC+ SD1 512 you don't want to play a disk game using the diskdrive if it's not stricktly necessary. You can flash the three disks (SD-)Snatcher to the flashrom and play the game from there. ROM and DSK files can be flashed to it. The result is that it feels like you made a cartridge version of your disk game. Minimal loading time and no mechanics on magnetic surfaces which go bad over time.

Once you found out all about the MegaFlashRom SCC+ SD, you probably forget you even have a diskdrive.

By Guillian

Prophet (3111)

Guillian's picture

21-01-2018, 13:54

Quote:

If I buy the MegaFlashRom Scc+ SD 1 Slot + 512kB, can I use it as a SCC cart and take advantage of the 512kB ram while playing floppy disks?

Yes, you can disable the SD interface in order to boot from a floppy, and use the RAM and SCC/SCC+ in the cartridge.

Just bear in mind some cracked versions of Snatcher/SD Snatcher does not search correctly for the SCC/SCC+ in a subslot, and you will not get SCC sound in that cases.

By Wild_Penguin

Champion (456)

Wild_Penguin's picture

21-01-2018, 20:45

Guillian wrote:
Quote:

If I buy the MegaFlashRom Scc+ SD 1 Slot + 512kB, can I use it as a SCC cart and take advantage of the 512kB ram while playing floppy disks?

Just bear in mind some cracked versions of Snatcher/SD Snatcher does not search correctly for the SCC/SCC+ in a subslot, and you will not get SCC sound in that cases.

This is true. IIRC the cracked Snatcher (only version I'm aware of) does not work if the SCC and main RAM are in the same (main) slot. This means you can not use the RAM and SCC of the MegaFlashRomSCC+ at the same time (and it does not work with just 64kb of RAM). Cracked SD Snatcher (the one I've used) is less picky about subslots.

By LowRes

Resident (49)

LowRes's picture

21-01-2018, 23:00

Meits wrote:

If you have a MegaFlashRom SCC+ SD1 512 you don't want to play a disk game using the diskdrive if it's not stricktly necessary. You can flash the three disks (SD-)Snatcher to the flashrom and play the game from there. ROM and DSK files can be flashed to it. The result is that it feels like you made a cartridge version of your disk game. Minimal loading time and no mechanics on magnetic surfaces which go bad over time.

Once you found out all about the MegaFlashRom SCC+ SD, you probably forget you even have a diskdrive.

You’re absolutely right and 99% of the time thats exactly how I’ll use it but its nice to know, you can still use the floppy drive with it Smile

By LowRes

Resident (49)

LowRes's picture

21-01-2018, 23:02

Guillian wrote:
Quote:

If I buy the MegaFlashRom Scc+ SD 1 Slot + 512kB, can I use it as a SCC cart and take advantage of the 512kB ram while playing floppy disks?

Yes, you can disable the SD interface in order to boot from a floppy, and use the RAM and SCC/SCC+ in the cartridge.

Just bear in mind some cracked versions of Snatcher/SD Snatcher does not search correctly for the SCC/SCC+ in a subslot, and you will not get SCC sound in that cases.

Thanks for the clarification, I get it now. Will definately be ordering one soon!

By LowRes

Resident (49)

LowRes's picture

21-01-2018, 23:08

Wild_Penguin wrote:
Guillian wrote:
Quote:

If I buy the MegaFlashRom Scc+ SD 1 Slot + 512kB, can I use it as a SCC cart and take advantage of the 512kB ram while playing floppy disks?

Just bear in mind some cracked versions of Snatcher/SD Snatcher does not search correctly for the SCC/SCC+ in a subslot, and you will not get SCC sound in that cases.

This is true. IIRC the cracked Snatcher (only version I'm aware of) does not work if the SCC and main RAM are in the same (main) slot. This means you can not use the RAM and SCC of the MegaFlashRomSCC+ at the same time (and it does not work with just 64kb of RAM). Cracked SD Snatcher (the one I've used) is less picky about subslots.

So the English Translated version of Snatcher will use the extra ram to play but will not detect the SCC+, even if you load the game off SD? If so, Would SCC work if I inserted a konami cart with scc in the other slot?

By LowRes

Resident (49)

LowRes's picture

17-02-2018, 13:23

Guillian wrote:
Quote:

If I buy the MegaFlashRom Scc+ SD 1 Slot + 512kB, can I use it as a SCC cart and take advantage of the 512kB ram while playing floppy disks?

Yes, you can disable the SD interface in order to boot from a floppy, and use the RAM and SCC/SCC+ in the cartridge

What key do you hold down during boot to disable the SD Interface? I recently bought Snatcher and would like to test the original disks & Original Snatcher SCC cart, but will need the extra 512kb from the MFR to do that. I didn’t find anything in the user manual to disable the SD interface

By Guillian

Prophet (3111)

Guillian's picture

17-02-2018, 13:47

LowRes wrote:
Guillian wrote:
Quote:

If I buy the MegaFlashRom Scc+ SD 1 Slot + 512kB, can I use it as a SCC cart and take advantage of the 512kB ram while playing floppy disks?

Yes, you can disable the SD interface in order to boot from a floppy, and use the RAM and SCC/SCC+ in the cartridge

What key do you hold down during boot to disable the SD Interface? I recently bought Snatcher and would like to test the original disks & Original Snatcher SCC cart, but will need the extra 512kb from the MFR to do that. I didn’t find anything in the user manual to disable the SD interface

The SD interface is controlled by Nextor. So you have to disable Nextor holding R or F depending on which slot is the cartridge inserted (you can check these and other boot keys at user's manual page 5)

By LowRes

Resident (49)

LowRes's picture

17-02-2018, 16:15

Guillian wrote:
LowRes wrote:
Guillian wrote:
Quote:

If I buy the MegaFlashRom Scc+ SD 1 Slot + 512kB, can I use it as a SCC cart and take advantage of the 512kB ram while playing floppy disks?

Yes, you can disable the SD interface in order to boot from a floppy, and use the RAM and SCC/SCC+ in the cartridge

What key do you hold down during boot to disable the SD Interface? I recently bought Snatcher and would like to test the original disks & Original Snatcher SCC cart, but will need the extra 512kb from the MFR to do that. I didn’t find anything in the user manual to disable the SD interface

The SD interface is controlled by Nextor. So you have to disable Nextor holding R or F depending on which slot is the cartridge inserted (you can check these and other boot keys at user's manual page 5)

I thought holding R was to enable the 512kb ram, didn’t know it also disabled the SD interface. Was reading the SD Snatcher Meloncholia translation readme file and it says to hold S & R (or F depending on slot) while booting the game from MFR off the SD card. Not sure how that would work if R also disables the SD card.

still waiting for my stuff to arrive in the mail but trying to know how everything works before it gets here. Thanks for all the help so far, have almost everything figured out

By Guillian

Prophet (3111)

Guillian's picture

17-02-2018, 17:46

LowRes wrote:

I thought holding R was to enable the 512kb ram, didn’t know it also disabled the SD interface. Was reading the SD Snatcher Meloncholia translation readme file and it says to hold S & R (or F depending on slot) while booting the game from MFR off the SD card. Not sure how that would work if R also disables the SD card.

That is related to the old DSK emulation method. Current (default) method, does not flash the DSKs to the flashROM. It loads the DSKs directlry from SD card. You don't need to hold any key to enable the RAM or SCC/SCC+
Anyway, you can use the old DSK emulation method in some cases when the new fails to work (or if you just prefer the old one)

Page 1/2
| 2
My MSX profile