Illusion City (Ver. English) only for 512kb??

Page 1/2

By JACS

Resident (63)

JACS's picture

19-05-2017, 08:45

Hello, I have tried the English version of Illusion City, in my new Turbo R ST and it does not work for me. I use megaflashrom of 512kbytes and a message comes out that only works with 512kb of RAM. It does not detect the RAM of the MFR cartridge.

Is it possible that someone is encouraged to patch this game to play with the turbo R ST ??

Thank you.

Login or register to post comments

By Meits

Enlighted (4108)

Meits's picture

19-05-2017, 11:01

The MSX turbo R will refuse to work with any external memory expansion unless the programmer of the software has explicitly told the machine to do so. For you one of the biggest benefits of owning a MFR with 512kB memory expansion is that your computer will say there's 768kB RAM on start up. I must say that's not really useful.
Be aware that not the complete game got translated. No one seems to be tickled to continue where the previous translators quit Sad

By Louthrax

Paragon (1346)

Louthrax's picture

19-05-2017, 11:08

You can try to boot your turboR by keeping the [4] key pressed if you are using Nextor. It will use the 512KB RAM as main RAM (you can check that by typing "memory" from command line). Not sure if Illusion City will work because the game might still assume that the RAM is in the usual slot.

By AxelStone

Prophet (2384)

AxelStone's picture

19-05-2017, 13:59

It's strange but Illusion City should work with 256kb since Turbo R ST has that amount of memory. Somebody has original game to check if it's a bug of translation?

By Louthrax

Paragon (1346)

Louthrax's picture

19-05-2017, 14:48

The translation patch is probably using extra memory to store code or data.

By JACS

Resident (63)

JACS's picture

19-05-2017, 23:08

Some programmer can check if is possible modify the pogram for run With 256kb or do works With the extra RAM of Megaflashrom?

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (4788)

JohnHassink's picture

20-05-2017, 07:52

I say this every time it's mentioned, but be prepared to be totally in awe and mystified for some time and then get, really, really sad.
The game's story will unavoidably suck you right in, and as it progresses, you will really want to know how it all wraps up. But then the game asks for disk 7... and it's goodbye.
I'm serious, even if it's one of the best RPGs ever made on MSX (or in general), I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, just because of that, unless you know Japanese well enough to just play the original.

By JACS

Resident (63)

JACS's picture

22-05-2017, 07:32

Louthrax wrote:

You can try to boot your turboR by keeping the [4] key pressed if you are using Nextor. It will use the 512KB RAM as main RAM (you can check that by typing "memory" from command line). Not sure if Illusion City will work because the game might still assume that the RAM is in the usual slot.

SOLVED:
Now the game is running.
The MSX takes advantage of the internal RAM of MegaflasRom.

Thank you all for responding.

By AxelStone

Prophet (2384)

AxelStone's picture

22-05-2017, 08:26

JohnHassink wrote:

I say this every time it's mentioned, but be prepared to be totally in awe and mystified for some time and then get, really, really sad.
The game's story will unavoidably suck you right in, and as it progresses, you will really want to know how it all wraps up. But then the game asks for disk 7... and it's goodbye.
I'm serious, even if it's one of the best RPGs ever made on MSX (or in general), I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, just because of that, unless you know Japanese well enough to just play the original.

You are right, I have not played this game still due to that problem, even I really want to play Sad . Let's hope that someone with Japanese skills could translate remaining disks.

By Louthrax

Paragon (1346)

Louthrax's picture

22-05-2017, 11:27

JACS wrote:
Louthrax wrote:

SOLVED:
Now the game is running.
The MSX takes advantage of the internal RAM of MegaflasRom.

Thank you all for responding.

Weird, it was not working when I tested that here on openMSX! Just curious: how do you launch the game after booting into Nextor with [4] pressed?

By ren

Hero (628)

ren's picture

22-05-2017, 15:01

JohnHassink wrote:

I'm serious, even if it's one of the best RPGs ever made on MSX (or in general), I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, just because of that [...]

And never start watching Carnivàle for the same reason... ;)

Yeah, too bad Adriano went MIA along with his AdrianPage. Next to the IC translation, lots of other cool/relevant stuff on there.. I believe Adriano (also (co-)author of Uzix (2.0)) completely left the MSX scene?
Is someone still in contact with him?
It's way too much of a shame the translation got abandoned after 80% completion or so. I wonder if Adriano (if he's still around..) could be motivated somehow to pick it up and finish it? (Possibly with the help of others?) Or to hand it over otherwise?

(...actually you should watch Carnivàle, just be prepared to deal with the disappointment.. ;))

Page 1/2
My MSX profile