MegaFlashRom ripoffs?

Page 4/11
1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

By Pencioner

Paladin (798)

Pencioner's picture

01-08-2018, 22:34

Sure, perfect! If someone raped your wife, go rape someone's wife too. The perfection in action, bro!

By Meits

Scribe (5234)

Meits's picture

01-08-2018, 23:37

tvalenca wrote:

So, I can’t see how anyone on this forum get to say anything about this matter. And IF Mr. Pazos has any complaints about fzanoto’s product name, he, and he only, should contact fzanoto and solve this issue directly with him!

You're quite wrong there. Everybody is allowed to have an opinion. And my opinion is that I think it's justified to advice the new cartridge to have another name. Now it looks like it wants to piggyback on the success of another product. In the meantime it spreads confusion because "which megaflashrom are we talking about now?" could very well be a question asked in the near future. What's the benefit of that?

But most of all:

l_oliveira wrote:

It doesn't have PSG, it doesn't have SCC, it doesn't have flashrom space for loading games, it only have volatile SRAM.

Millions of words in the world, why pick the three words in the exact same order which were already in use by a product in active development in such a small community?

By tvalenca

Paladin (719)

tvalenca's picture

01-08-2018, 23:40

Pencioner wrote:

Sure, perfect! If someone raped your wife, go rape someone's wife too. The perfection in action, bro!

Are you on your mind? I said that if you people think it’s OK to a european remove the name of the brazilian who created the hardware AND wrote the BIOS, rename it SD512 and sell as if it was an original design you all should SHUT UP whining about a brazilian who put together an open source project and used the same name of a closed source project of a european.

THEN, I recognized that that one European who already used the name MegaFlashROM has every right to complain about name (mis)usage, but instead whining here, he should take the matter to the person who (mis)used the name. And due to the issue only concern those two individuals, it should be addressed privately.

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5410)

mars2000you's picture

01-08-2018, 23:44

Meits wrote:

And my opinion is that I think it's justified to advice the new cartridge to have another name. Now it looks like it wants to piggyback on the success of another product. In the meantime it spreads confusion because "which megaflashrom are we talking about now?" could very well be a question asked in the near future. What's the benefit of that?

But most of all:

l_oliveira wrote:

It doesn't have PSG, it doesn't have SCC, it doesn't have flashrom space for loading games, it only have volatile SRAM.

Millions of words in the world, why pick the three words in the exact same order which were already in use by a product in active development in such a small community?

Even (almost) exactly the same products, made by different people, can have different names just to differentiate them and avoid misunderstandings. Think about the MoonSound variations. Here, we are not even in this case, or in the Zemmix Neo case, as both discussed products are too different. A change of name for the new product is therefore required.

By Vampier

Prophet (2256)

Vampier's picture

02-08-2018, 00:34

yeah make it the 'UltraFlashRom' whatever

By l_oliveira

Hero (518)

l_oliveira's picture

02-08-2018, 01:19

Meits wrote:

Millions of words in the world, why pick the three words in the exact same order which were already in use by a product in active development in such a small community?

The name of the device is SD Mapper and I repeated it multiple times already. It is not a MFR rip off. The other device with flash memory is even using a different type of megarom maper than the MFR.

By iamweasel2

Champion (491)

iamweasel2's picture

02-08-2018, 01:28

Come on people, we need to stop this madness. I know Luis Luca, he's an active member of MSX community and a decent guy. I'm sure he had no intention of using MegaflashRom name to hurt anyone's feeling. This is a big misunderstanding.

If anyone feels that he shouldn't be using Megaflashrom to name his cartridge, just talk with him.

By Hydragon

Hero (653)

Hydragon's picture

02-08-2018, 03:21

Pencioner wrote:

Guys, just my 3 cents here:
a) For me the MegaFlahROM always belongs to Manuel Pazos' cartridge. FlashROM is not, but when prefixed with Mega - it is. Not just because i bought one a while ago when i get back to MSX-es, but also because if you google for that, you barely find references to other cartridge
b) It looks like Luís Luca (fzanoto) is aware about MegaFlahROM name as described above because he's pretty active forum member
c) Well, no secret that if you make a better product you wouldn't pick the name after a competition, just an opposite - you'll try to get an unique name so everybody recognizes your product after all. I don't say it happens there, but it looks at least weird, right?

So, regarding above statements, the whole thing feels disgusting

It's disgusting that they decided to use an allready well-known product name for a new product that even has less to offer then the actual product of which they ripped the name. Also the front sticker lacks originality considering they ripped the game master cover art including konami's logo and used it as their own.

There's only one MFR for me and that's the one by M. Pazos! ( which is an amazing piece of hardware! )

By Vampier

Prophet (2256)

Vampier's picture

02-08-2018, 04:48

Ok let's all take a step back here: I'm sure Luis Fernando Luca is a great guy and all that and that he's doing this as a hobby... let's be clear...if you want to make a profit of MSX stuff then you're better off creating stuff for the (S)NES.

What irks me is the name, the hardware I couldn't care less about... it's the name. The confusion that will come from this will be annoying for both parties both Manual and Luis as they will probably start receive questions about each-others products. Or people who think they order 1 thing and receive another item.

As far as I understand the functionality between the same carts isn't the same. the MFR SCC+ SD has MegaFlashRom SCC+ sound and micro SD card reader and an optional memory mapper.

The Carnivore 2 is not called the MegaFlashRom for exactly the same reason.. naming your new prodcuts the same as a wel established products causes annoyances/confusion and leads to heated topics on msx.org.

By tvalenca

Paladin (719)

tvalenca's picture

02-08-2018, 06:40

Meits wrote:
tvalenca wrote:

So, I can’t see how anyone on this forum get to say anything about this matter. And IF Mr. Pazos has any complaints about fzanoto’s product name, he, and he only, should contact fzanoto and solve this issue directly with him!

You're quite wrong there. Everybody is allowed to have an opinion. And my opinion is that I think it's justified to advice the new cartridge to have another name. Now it looks like it wants to piggyback on the success of another product. In the meantime it spreads confusion because "which megaflashrom are we talking about now?" could very well be a question asked in the near future. What's the benefit of that?

Right, everybody got to have an opinion. But the only one who can change the name of the product is fzanoto, and he isn’t on this thread.

And, piggybacking success? Seriously? I expected more from you.

Page 4/11
1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
My MSX profile