MegaflashROM vs Carnivore2

Page 2/3
1 | | 3

By libero

Resident (38)

libero's picture

26-08-2018, 00:46

I´m also planning to buy one of them. So I made, reading their website, this synthetic scheme to compare the two cartridges.
Is it correct?

 	                   Megaflashrom	 	             Carnivore 2

storage	        2 microSD hot swap		1 CF storage no hot swap
OS	                     Nextor		                 Nextor ,FM Basic
Mapper Ram	512k (optional)		             1MB
MegaRam	               no		                 720Kb (pseudo)
Flash	                 8MB ( rom and dsk)		 8MB (rom and dsk)
audio	          SCC, SCC+ (7MB), PSG?	SCC, SCC+ (in single use), FMPAC (with ram), PSG
Slot	                  only on primary		every slot
software	            open		                proprietary
contacts	        gold plated		        gold plated

(Mod-edit by FiXato to improve formatting by adding code block)

By libero

Resident (38)

libero's picture

26-08-2018, 00:47

Iit is not very readable as formatted. I re-write everything in a more readable way:

MEGAFLASH ROM 
2 microSD hot swap
Nextor
Mapper Ram	512k (optional) 
MegaRam	no	
Flash	8MB (rom and dsk) 
audio	SCC, SCC+ (7MB), PSG?
Only on primary slot
software	open		
contacts	gold plated
CARNIVORE 2
1 CF storage no hot swap
Nextor ,FM Basic
Mapper Ram	1MB
MegaRam	720Kb (pseudo)
Flash	 8MB (rom and dsk)
audio	SCC, SCC+ (in single use), FMPAC (with ram), PSG
every slot
software	Proprietary
contacts	gold plated

(Mod-edit by FiXato to improve formatting by adding code block)

By Pencioner

Paladin (931)

Pencioner's picture

24-08-2018, 15:17

software open/proprietary is just an opposite of what you wrote above: Carnivore is open-source (both sw and hw) while MFR is proprietary
PSG in MFR is mapped to another I/O port which has cons and pros: you can use it as second PSG with vgmplay, but it could not be used in games without patching (and currently flashing of MFR can properly patch only Konami games iirc)

By libero

Resident (38)

libero's picture

24-08-2018, 15:30

Thanks for the clarification.
I say software proprietray because i read this on 8bists4ever site:
"Propietary software utility to manage all functions, load ROMs into flash memory, etc."

By gdx

Prophet (2977)

gdx's picture

24-08-2018, 16:06

About use, which one is the most practical?

By Lazzeri

Champion (262)

Lazzeri's picture

24-08-2018, 16:26

libero wrote:

Thanks for the clarification.
I say software proprietray because i read this on 8bists4ever site:
"Propietary software utility to manage all functions, load ROMs into flash memory, etc."

I guess it meant MADE FOR IT and not CLOSED SOURCE.

By Guillian

Prophet (3230)

Guillian's picture

24-08-2018, 16:35

Pencioner wrote:

PSG in MFR is mapped to another I/O port which has cons and pros: you can use it as second PSG with vgmplay, but it could not be used in games without patching (and currently flashing of MFR can properly patch only Konami games iirc)

Actualy it can also "clone " the internal one using the same ports (/P1 option). No need to patch the ROMs for that.

By Meits

Scribe (5484)

Meits's picture

24-08-2018, 16:38

libero wrote:

I´m also planning to buy one of them. So I made, reading their website, this synthetic scheme to compare the two cartridges.
Is it correct?
Megaflashrom Carnivore 2

storage 2 microSD hot swap 1 CF storage no hot swap
OS Nextor Nextor ,FM Basic
Mapper Ram 512k (optional) 1MB
MegaRam no 720Kb (pseudo)
Flash 8MB ( rom and dsk) 8MB (rom and dsk)
audio SCC, SCC+ (7MB), PSG? SCC, SCC+ (in single use), FMPAC (with ram), PSG
Slot only on primary every slot
software open proprietary
contacts gold plated gold plated

Some use of tabs in stead of spaces and the code tag a lot is possible Wink :

		Megaflashrom		Carnivore 2

storage		2 microSD hot swap	1 CF storage no hot swap
OS		Nextor			Nextor ,FM Basic
Mapper Ram	512k (optional)		1MB
MegaRam		no			720Kb (pseudo)
Flash		8MB ( rom and dsk)	8MB (rom and dsk)
audio		SCC, SCC+ (7MB), PSG?	SCC, SCC+ (in single use), FMPAC (with ram), PSG
Slot		only on primary		every slot
software	open			proprietary
contacts	gold plated		gold plated

By Pencioner

Paladin (931)

Pencioner's picture

24-08-2018, 16:51

Guillian wrote:

Actualy it can also "clone " the internal one using the same ports (/P1 option). No need to patch the ROMs for that.

Uh-oh, apologies for that confusion, i think i just never used that option so i forgot about it

By gdx

Prophet (2977)

gdx's picture

24-08-2018, 16:59

Since when does the Carnivor 2 have contacts gold plated?

Page 2/3
1 | | 3