Metal Gear Solid 5 cassette tape

Page 22/22
15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 |

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (116)

anonymous's picture

09-12-2015, 07:08

iamfromouttahere wrote:

I'm sorry bro, but the whole game is about conspirations Smile

The game may be about whatever you want. This is real life.

iamfromouttahere wrote:

i understand your point because .... shit! this is a peacefull MSX forum suddenly invaded by tinfoil hatters like me Smile

No, you're misunderstanding me. I love the fact that new people are showing interest in the MSX, whether it's because of a game or for any other reason. This place has become too elitist and unwelcome to new users: long-timers are assuming that everybody knows about everything.

I'm happy to see new people here. The noisier, the better. :-)

iamfromouttahere wrote:

i won't copypaste what i said in reddit about this matter, just look my nick there and you will see Smile Hope you understand the obsession that we, fans of metal gear, have to solve this puzzle.

I understand, but I think you're overestimating the depth of this puzzle. Kojima used the Portopia game in the first version of the tape. He got caught and Konami changed the audio to the one from the Metal Gear ROM. That's where this particular puzzle ends. It's solved.

Suggesting that changing certain bytes in the ROM header of a game released 28 years ago would affect the game in any meaningful way is way, way too much.

iamfromouttahere wrote:

I didn't have MSX as a child, but i had a few spectrums, a POKE was a way to tamper with RAM values AFTER the game loads in a similar way as how cheat engine works with PC nowadays, that's why i suggested that.

Yes. We did the same on MSX games that loaded from tape or disk. You can change values in RAM before executing the binary. However, Metal Gear was a ROM cartridge. The game itself didn't reside on the computer's RAM, but on a ROM chip in the cartridge from where it ran. You can't modify a ROM.

iamfromouttahere wrote:

There's need to be rude for just a suggestion Smile Specially since I think i have been friendly with this community in my SOLE comment Smile if I haven't, i'm sorry, because i'm not a native english speaker, so mistakes may or may not have happened Smile

I wasn't trying to be rude. If that's what it sounded like, I apologize. And I'm not a native English speaker either. :-)

By Sammy Elkassir

Supporter (1)

Sammy Elkassir's picture

03-02-2016, 07:25

Hi guys I know this thread has had no activity in a while. A few weeks ago the MGS V extended soundtrack came out. One of the songs is called Snailed, which is from a key mission in the game. Someone discovered if you reverse the song, it plays a different song, the MGS Peace Walker theme song, which is very appropriate for said mission.

The reason I am posting here is because the normal song sounds to me like it ends with similar sounds to the MSX audio files being analyzed in this thread. When the song is reversed it sounds even more like the sounds being analyzed in this thread. I was wondering if you agree with me or not.

https://youtu.be/60F3TKA-qdM, normal song, msx like sounds at very end

https://youtu.be/DfF2oPC0TGM song was reversed, msx like sounds at very beginning

Thanks for any help.

By Manuel

Ascended (18082)

Manuel's picture

03-02-2016, 08:06

Just from hearing that I wouldn't say it's FSK MSX data. But who knows.

By Jamie Grech

Supporter (3)

Jamie Grech's picture

30-03-2016, 01:02

Supporter (1)
Jamie Grech's picture

29-03-2016, 20:53

All I have is my bitcorder, my MSX was taken by my brother cause he thought it would be cool to dismantle and reassamble, I blame myself.

http://i.imgur.com/EzqPJar.jpg

This is comming in the mail soon, I was curious if there was a way to tell if it has MSX data on it? From what I remember and Im probley wrong, at the end of Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake they talk about the film looking different then they relize its an MSX data cassette. Is it possible with this? Sorry for my lack of understanding, im actually really getting into all this MSX culture. :D

By mehran

Supporter (1)

mehran's picture

19-06-2016, 18:29

hi to all. Smile
and thank you all for working to solve this riddle.
i have two questions from you maybe these point you to something:
first we have a sony bitcorder in final cutscene that venom puts the tape in it.and while playing the bitcorder showing a number going up from 715 to 716.do any of you msx guys knows what is that???
and the second question i have:do we have a tape like that in reality???i mean one side of tape is playabe with a walkman but another side of that tape is not playable with music player and it just plays with bitcorder or something else

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5838)

NYYRIKKI's picture

20-06-2016, 08:41

mehran wrote:

first we have a sony bitcorder in final cutscene that venom puts the tape in it.and while playing the bitcorder showing a number going up from 715 to 716.do any of you msx guys knows what is that???

It is like a trip-meter in your car... It rotates with the cassette and you can reset it to zero by pushing the button. I think this was just used to visualize that the cassette is loading. Someone might now think about Hyper Sports 1 & Cabbage Patch Kids, but that would be tinfoil hatting... I don't think there is a story for the numbers.

Quote:

and the second question i have:do we have a tape like that in reality???i mean one side of tape is playabe with a walkman but another side of that tape is not playable with music player and it just plays with bitcorder or something else

Actually MSX bitcorder is not any kind of special device... You can replace it with Walkman just as well as long as you have the connection cable... and this means that naturally you can record different content to different sides or after each other.

By tfh

Prophet (2937)

tfh's picture

18-09-2017, 08:42

I've just spent quite some time reading this old thread. Is anyone aware of a dump of the MSX version of Portopia? I can't seem to find any.

By Gradius2

Hero (621)

Gradius2's picture

29-09-2017, 03:21

It was fun to read!

Page 22/22
15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 |