MoonSound YRW-801 ROM samples/instruments ripped to files?

Page 3/8
1 | 2 | | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5513)

mars2000you's picture

14-10-2013, 20:47

By Meits

Scribe (5538)

Meits's picture

14-10-2013, 21:04

Manual....

Ooooooookaaaaay... But it is one of my own tunes Big smile

Just give me a minute... Or some more...

By yzi

Champion (441)

yzi's picture

14-10-2013, 21:05

mars2000you: got it running now, thanks.

Manuel: I'll try to create the tests for you. I have a Moonsound hooked up to Turbo R ST right here next to me, and I'll also record the outputs from CocoaMSX and OpenMSX via the Mac mini's analog output. Everyone can check the digital renderings themselves.

What's extremely important in a double-blind listening test is to match levels, because most other things being equal, the louder one usually sounds "better". I have the tools to do that, for example Inspector XL metering plugin (I bought it when it was still owned by Elemental Audio and they had a group-buy with a price something like 25 USD) but let's see how I succeed.

Ok, great to have Meits here as well! So we can compare the output from different hardware gear.

What song are you going to use?

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

14-10-2013, 21:15

Last time I tried some Moonsound stuff on an emulator was a while ago, but I recall some problems with the envelopes of some of the built in instruments. I'd have to check with the Bombaman soundtrack to be sure, but there were definitely differences with the real thing.

Same for MSX AUDIO emulation btw. Unless it has been fixed, there's still an issue with the synth sweeps in Impaccable (check recording from a real MSX here). Quite noticable as well. And yes, that was recorded (and reported) years ago ;)

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

15-10-2013, 00:01

At least there was an issue with envelope key scaling, dunno whether that's been fixed, haven't played anything in an emulator with Moonsound for ages.

By yzi

Champion (441)

yzi's picture

14-10-2013, 22:44

Here are the three contestants. The song is the first song, "The Bounty", from the Coral 1 music disk. I tried to make the RMS levels as equal as I could, by repeatedly doing the following with Inspector XL inserted in the master track of Ableton Live: solo one of the tracks, play from the start, look at Inspector XL's RMS hold (which was set to 3 seconds), stop playback at about 3-4 seconds into the song, adjust the track level (only attenuate, i.e. negative gain) a tiny bit to get closer to the target (which was the quietest of the recordings), wait for three seconds (to clear the RMS level hold), repeat. I did this until the RMS hold level was so close, I couldn't get it any closer. It might have been better to calculate an RMS level for the whole length of the audio, but I couldn't find such a feature in Live and didn't want to switch to Cubase for this.

http://www.kameli.net/~yzi/MSX.org_MoonSound_1.flac
http://www.kameli.net/~yzi/MSX.org_MoonSound_2.flac
http://www.kameli.net/~yzi/MSX.org_MoonSound_3.flac

The FLAC files are about 20 megabytes each. One of them is OpenMSX 0.8.1 (if that's an obsolete old version, let me know and I'll try with another one), one is CocoaMSX 1.32 (based on BlueMSX), and one is a real Panasonic FS-A1ST turboR with a MoonSound cartridge. Which one is which, can you guess?

There was one slightly annoying (to me, probably not to most people) finding regarding one of the emulators. I'll let you discover it if you can. There were definitely differences between all three. The emulators were run on the same computer.

By Manuel

Ascended (15754)

Manuel's picture

14-10-2013, 22:49

yzi: cool, thanks!

0.8.1 is quite old indeed (about 2.5 years old), better use 0.9.1 (about a year old) or even better: a recent developer build (but currently there is none available for Mac).

I'm currently trying to find a place to host Meits his recordings (which I encoded with 320kb/s MP3, as flac is still rather large).

By Manuel

Ascended (15754)

Manuel's picture

14-10-2013, 23:21

Check these recordings from Meits recorded with real MSX, openMSX 0.9.1-dev13099 and blueMSX 2.8.2. Which is which?

Get: http://openmsx.sf.net/temp/soundcompare.zip

By Manuel

Ascended (15754)

Manuel's picture

14-10-2013, 23:26

mars2000you wrote:

Tip for Manuel :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1650646

I built it from source, but I couldn't get it to run properly, a few years ago. Wouter said there's no sound in it, so it won't help anyway.

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5513)

mars2000you's picture

14-10-2013, 23:38

@yzi : I think the annoying feature is in CocoaMSX, as it's based on the more recent blueMSX code and by checking what happens on a beta of blueMSX 2.9, I've noticed that when playing Moonsound, the PC CPU is used at the maximum, what can interfere on the musical quality .... except if you go in the Machine Editor menu (without doing nothing else) : in this case, the PC CPU is again in 'normal mode' and the music quality is not altered. Probably a bug in the blueMSX code.

Page 3/8
1 | 2 | | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8