MoonSound YRW-801 ROM samples/instruments ripped to files?

Page 4/8
1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5512)

mars2000you's picture

14-10-2013, 23:37

@manuel : I remember that dvik had indeed some problems with sound when using SDL, so it explains probably the problem.

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5512)

mars2000you's picture

14-10-2013, 23:41

Manuel wrote:

Check these recordings from Meits recorded with real MSX, openMSX 0.9.1-dev13099 and blueMSX 2.8.2. Which is which?

Get: http://openmsx.sf.net/temp/soundcompare.zip

Which is the title of this song ?

By yzi

Champion (441)

yzi's picture

14-10-2013, 23:45

Yeah I noticed that CPU usage may have been high because there was occasional sound crackling when switching applications while the emulator was playing, but not much. That didn't affect the comparison, and I didn't even bother checking CPU usage meters. The Mac mini has a very powerful quad-core i7 CPU. Smile

But the annoying thing is so annoying that I can hear it from far away, and it makes one of the three recordings irritating to listen to, if I try to concentrate on the music. Actually, I'll have to try and check some of the emulators' internal parameters to see if it's somehow "my fault".

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5512)

mars2000you's picture

15-10-2013, 00:55

An utility with Audio Spectrum Viewer (such as Audacity on Windows) is helpful to locate the differences in the sound waves.

It helps also to see that one of the recordings has a slighly smaller 'depth' .

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5382)

NYYRIKKI's picture

15-10-2013, 07:01

I have very little experience of this, but I remember when I made a music for "COW" on BlueMSX I used only custom samples. When I listened the song on real MoonSound there was all kind of snaps and pops in the beginning / end of samples that I could not hear on emulator... How ever that was already 5 years ago.

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

15-10-2013, 07:35

NYYRIKKI wrote:

I have very little experience of this, but I remember when I made a music for "COW" on BlueMSX I used only custom samples. When I listened the song on real MoonSound there was all kind of snaps and pops in the beginning / end of samples that I could not hear on emulator... How ever that was already 5 years ago.

I remember such a thing as well when we released a 10th birthday celebration of Soepfiskje. At that time I was regathering my MSX hardware and was still my Moonsound (hidden somewhere in the attic pf my parents with a broken pre-amp) so an emulator was used... When showcasing the final product at a fair I was totally shocked with the envelopes of almost everything... The music was hastily rewritten on a real MSX and released a few days later... Darn, I hated that...

By Manuel

Ascended (15748)

Manuel's picture

15-10-2013, 09:19

So, can someone already state his opinion which sounds the most like the real MSX? (If you can first find which is the real MSX... but that shouldn't be too hard.)
Both for yzi's and my files please Smile

About the title of the song: Meits can tell, I don't remember right now.

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

15-10-2013, 10:07

yzi wrote:

Here are the three contestants.

The FLAC files are about 20 megabytes each. One of them is OpenMSX 0.8.1 (if that's an obsolete old version, let me know and I'll try with another one), one is CocoaMSX 1.32 (based on BlueMSX), and one is a real Panasonic FS-A1ST turboR with a MoonSound cartridge. Which one is which, can you guess?

1 and 3 have the exact same tempo where 2 is slowing down and keeping up again. As I have never experienced that on openMSX, my guess is that 2 is blueMSX.
Which leaves 1 and 3... Well, if you recorded it, you know exactly where the differences are. If you composed it, and still remember how it was meant to sound, it could be an easy pick as well, but for me it was a bit hard to hear.
My guess is that 1 is the real Moonsound and 3 is openMSX...
There is *some* difference between 1 and 2 which is audible when playing them at the same time... They affect each other's sound creating a slow wave of low tones to high tones and back again, which would not happen if they were exactly the same.

By Manuel

Ascended (15748)

Manuel's picture

15-10-2013, 11:49

(At some point we should reveal which is the real MSX and then ask people which of the other 2 sounds most like it.)

By yzi

Champion (441)

yzi's picture

15-10-2013, 12:07

The correct answers shoul be placed behind a web link or ROT13 encoded or something, to not spoil the fun for other people reading this later on.

I will comment on Meits's answers in rot13 tonight.

Page 4/8
1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8