".TSX" --> ".TZX" Format in MSX

Page 9/11
2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | | 10 | 11

By eimaster

Master (218)

eimaster's picture

20-05-2018, 02:07

CASDuino][quote=nataliapc wrote:
Quote:

Have you any SVI tape like that to see how the pulses are encoded?

Thanks ^^

You can download the files in a .CAS format from here but it may not be the same .CAS format as the MSX. In fact if OpenMSX wopn't load them as .CAS then it isn't the same format.

I've had a quick look at the CAS files and they are different. I will try to see if I can make a .WAV for you.

Unfortunately, I used to have a bunch of SVI-3x8 cassette tapes but I don't have any now. Maybe I should search in the old stuff but I can't promise to find any. Anyway, if you visit http://www.samdal.com/spectravideo.htm you would find lots of software, technical information, and manuals about SVI-3x8 machine's specifications and its peripherals.
Most of the softwares for SVI-3x8 machines were produced on cassette tapes. You can download nearly the complete software package on the software section.

In the main page it say:
Johan Winge has created a set of utilities making it possible to convert old cassette tapes into CAS files.
SviCas2Wav, SviWav2Cas, SviShell, SviCasMan.
Download the tools from Johan's home page: http://home.student.uu.se/jowi4905/svi/

You might some links dead 'cos they are very old. Here is a saved copy of the original site. I have downloaded all off tools but they are in my dead computer's hard disk. I just need to clean it and with some maintenance and an electricity I can upload them so others can download them.
The saved site is here:
http://archive.li/tzZcN

By nataliapc

Resident (51)

nataliapc's picture

28-06-2018, 17:28

SVI TSX files available!

CasDuino wrote:

You can download the files in a .CAS format from here but it may not be the same .CAS format as the MSX. In fact if OpenMSX wopn't load them as .CAS then it isn't the same format.

I've had a quick look at the CAS files and they are different. I will try to see if I can make a .WAV for you.

eimaster wrote:

Unfortunately, I used to have a bunch of SVI-3x8 cassette tapes but I don't have any now. Maybe I should search in the old stuff but I can't promise to find any.

Reversing SVI WAV pulses and reconstructing the tape record specifications, you can now use SVI-TSX files with openMSX_TSX (http://tsx.eslamejor.com)

The SVI-TSX files can be created only with my PHP script svi2tsx.php from an existing SVI-CAS file.

If people like this proposition, we could discuss alternate ways to create SVI-TSX files from other sources (WAV, etc..)

By jltursan

Prophet (2115)

jltursan's picture

29-06-2018, 19:02

Great work nataliapc! Smile

I would not spend too much time with SVI tapes, keep in mind that its library is very small compared with the MSX one and simply converting the already preserved CAS files there won't need to mess with alternate ways as you're asking for...most probably all the stuff is already dumped.
Anyway, if you need something real to experiment with I can provide you with some spare original tapes Wink

By karloch

Paragon (2023)

karloch's picture

29-06-2018, 20:55

Great work Natalia!

By nataliapc

Resident (51)

nataliapc's picture

30-06-2018, 02:16

Thanks you both Smile

jltursan wrote:

I would not spend too much time with SVI tapes, keep in mind that its library is very small compared with the MSX one and simply converting the already preserved CAS files there won't need to mess with alternate ways as you're asking for...most probably all the stuff is already dumped.

It's ok... I will translate to TSX format all the SVI TOSEC catalog (CAS files), they aren't too much files.

The main purpose of this was provide SVI users a way to use well defined tape files in openMSX without to spent of time in SVI-CAS to WAV conversion.

I hope you all have found this usefull Wink

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5026)

NYYRIKKI's picture

30-06-2018, 05:10

So far I've not been interested about TSX, but SVI support is very interesting since there has not been a way to play reasonably size file from Android to SVI before. I've actually been waiting for something like this to appear ever since I made MSX ROM-loader for SVI (I don't like the idea of having large WAV-files mixed with my phone's music files, but CAS/TSX is fine)

nataliapc wrote:

The SVI-TSX files can be created only with my PHP script svi2tsx.php from an existing SVI-CAS file.

If people like this proposition, we could discuss alternate ways to create SVI-TSX files from other sources (WAV, etc..)

Making TSX out of CAS instead of WAV is a bit like making MP3 out of C-cassette recording instead of CD-Audio... For that reason I vote for WAV-support. I also think that if SVI "turbo tapes" go trough CAS-conversion, they are not loadable on real SVI anymore as (unlike in MSX) the sync is not automatic.

AFAIK Johan Winge has made best SVI WAV2CAS program... Last version is already 2 years old, but maybe he is willing to help?

By nataliapc

Resident (51)

nataliapc's picture

30-06-2018, 10:33

NYYRIKKI wrote:

Making TSX out of CAS instead of WAV is a bit like making MP3 out of C-cassette recording instead of CD-Audio... For that reason I vote for WAV-support. I also think that if SVI "turbo tapes" go trough CAS-conversion, they are not loadable on real SVI anymore as (unlike in MSX) the sync is not automatic.

Keep in mind that this has been a proof of concept to show that a TSX (using new KCS #4B block) can contain the SVI's pulse scheme.

No makeTSX support for SVI blocks extraction from WAV is expected at this time, there are good tools like SVI WAV2CAS (as you say) or SVITOOLS.

What people may want to do (or not) from here with the available TSX tools is another topic...

By nataliapc

Resident (51)

nataliapc's picture

02-07-2018, 11:04

At this moment we have 150 verified MSX TSX files, and a bunch of SVI TSX files for testing.
http://tsx.eslamejor.com

By nataliapc

Resident (51)

nataliapc's picture

10-07-2018, 20:23

- 190 MSX tape-verified TSX files (some of them fixed because bugs in origin)
- All the SVI TOSEC converted from CAS to TSX format.

By Tolvatar

Paladin (889)

Tolvatar's picture

11-07-2018, 18:50

Great work. Many thanks for your effort and the people involved in the project

Page 9/11
2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | | 10 | 11
My MSX profile