poll:outrun for msx2

Page 12/13
5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | | 13

By thegeps

Paladin (865)

thegeps's picture

25-10-2019, 00:59

Thank you ^_^
A friend (who is already the author of new sprites) is redrawing all background graphics, so we'll have soon better look Wink this guy was involved in hnk (hokuto no ken, unlicensed) abandoned project with artrag Smile

By alexito

Paladin (744)

alexito's picture

25-10-2019, 08:50

I agree with nyyrikki this game is looking better with every realase. The game music is my favorite feature from the last version please try to use the 1 bit DAC from the PPI for some SFX or maybe more sophisticated hardware with ADPCM or PCM support. Just my humble opinion.

PS: if you need help with ADPCM part feel to free to ask me for more info.

By thegeps

Paladin (865)

thegeps's picture

25-10-2019, 20:50

I don't know how to use the 1 bit DAC from the PPI to make SFX. I think I'll use Arkos Tracker also for SFX doing it in the way zPasi does: using the less involved channel (during music) for SFX to interfere less possible with the playback. No ADPCM nor PCM support for this game. It has to be a plain MSX1 game Smile

By alexito

Paladin (744)

alexito's picture

25-10-2019, 23:51

thegeps wrote:

I don't know how to use the 1 bit DAC from the PPI to make SFX. I think I'll use Arkos Tracker also for SFX doing it in the way zPasi does: using the less involved channel (during music) for SFX to interfere less possible with the playback. No ADPCM nor PCM support for this game. It has to be a plain MSX1 game Smile

https://imgur.com/IYkFp53

By Manuel

Ascended (18162)

Manuel's picture

25-10-2019, 23:54

Doesn't doing something useful with that DAC cost you all CPU time?

By Grauw

Ascended (10079)

Grauw's picture

31-10-2019, 19:27

By alexito

Paladin (744)

alexito's picture

31-10-2019, 21:08

@Grauw: About Space Harrier. I would like to see the same technic but using V9990 as main video output anyway is good to know about what is possible with a basic setup.

By DarkSchneider

Paladin (942)

DarkSchneider's picture

01-11-2019, 09:19

Grauw wrote:

Posted in another thread but also on-topic here for the gameplay:

alexito wrote:

Recently I discovered this upcoming game for Amstrad CPC called VESPERTINO they show fluid cars animations very impressive.

Vespertino from the Batman Group (hi Manuel, C64 sucks :) ).

A possibility on MSX could be:
- Use line interrupt to change to SC4 for bakcground sky (scrolling) then SC5 for road.
- Inyect track rendering data all the time from the CPU, already used on F1-Spirit 3D Special. If the curves are usually the same, much data can be precomputed.
- Combine hardware and software sprites for cars and graphics.

By PingPong

Prophet (3770)

PingPong's picture

01-11-2019, 11:33

DarkSchneider wrote:
Grauw wrote:

Posted in another thread but also on-topic here for the gameplay:

alexito wrote:

Recently I discovered this upcoming game for Amstrad CPC called VESPERTINO they show fluid cars animations very impressive.

Vespertino from the Batman Group (hi Manuel, C64 sucks :) ).

A possibility on MSX could be:
- Use line interrupt to change to SC4 for bakcground sky (scrolling) then SC5 for road.
- Inyect track rendering data all the time from the CPU, already used on F1-Spirit 3D Special. If the curves are usually the same, much data can be precomputed.
- Combine hardware and software sprites for cars and graphics.

The vdp is slow. The amount of vram data to move is 1.5 bigger

By DarkSchneider

Paladin (942)

DarkSchneider's picture

01-11-2019, 12:19

PingPong wrote:

The vdp is slow. The amount of vram data to move is 1.5 bigger

Yes I know, but I am not demanding 50 fps. A game like Out Run probably could run at lower framerate well and be fully playable. Try to fit for lesser and cropping the drawable area if required.

The idea would be something like, while the CPU renders the road area (in the lower middle of screen), it sends VDP commands to clean (fill) and update (fast-copy as the background is plain color) the side graphics. The cars would be hardware sprites.

Page 12/13
5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | | 13