48k Expansion for Philips VG8010

Page 1/2

By Tom-Cat

Rookie (23)

Tom-Cat's picture

15-08-2003, 08:50

Hi All !

First of all - I must thank SANDER for sending me the 48k Cartridge ! THANK YOU !

As you saw in the topic - I have a Philips VG8010 MSX computer - it has 48k RAM in total (which leaves 32k to the games and 16k for the video) - for this reason almost NO games work on it. Sander was so generous to send me one of his 48k Addram cartridges. It is labelled like this :

Addcom MSX Accesories EXPANSION 3 RAM Cartridge 48k

Anyway, if I plug it into SLOT 1 (Philips has 2 slots - 1 and 2) I could get Head Over Heels (original Casette version) to load... but not much else. If I plug it into slot 2 - I could get some games to load the initial loading screen (Batman the movie, etc.) but none of the games would play (only Knightmare, but after the reset and the graphics are bugged).

Is there an instruction on how to use this 48k Addram cartridge on my computer - i.e. I have some 60 or so original casettes which work fine in emulators. I tried the POKE -1,170 thingy and it doesn't make any difference.

Any help would be greatly appretiated.

Best regards,
Tom_Cat

Login or register to post comments

By Sander

Ambassador (1845)

Sander's picture

15-08-2003, 10:30

Apart from your problem: there is also an official 16KB ram cardridge from Philips for this system called VU-0031.

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

15-08-2003, 16:30

Unfortunately, that is the problem with many british games, they don't work on more exotic memory configurations. Sad

By Tom-Cat

Rookie (23)

Tom-Cat's picture

15-08-2003, 20:54

Found out what was wrong. The contacts on the expansion connector needed cleaning - I took a normal pencil eraser and cleaned them with that and then also with alchohol.
Now almost everything loads and runs fine. I can load around 95% of tapes and they work (even stuff like BatMan, Head Over Heels, etc.).

Thanx for everything again... really nice stuff.

btw. which games (unique to the MSX) would you recomend me trying - must be casette and MSX1 (48k) ofcourse.

another thing : my Philips VG8010 seems to have the picture verticall squashed. i.e. there are no borders on left/right side but HUGE borders on upper/lower side. This means the aspect ratio of the picture is not correct and the games look squashed vertically. This happens in all games, but I mostly noticed it on the games which are converted from the spectrum. Is this normal ?

Best regards,
Tomaz

By snout

Ascended (15187)

snout's picture

15-08-2003, 21:10

I don't know how HUGE you think the borders are, but indeed on a 50Hz MSX the borders are quite a large part of the screen Wink

By Tom-Cat

Rookie (23)

Tom-Cat's picture

15-08-2003, 21:35

Well, they are quite large yes Smile I would say they take up about 1/4 or even 1/3 of the screen....

TC

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

15-08-2003, 22:06

That sounds a bit too much.

Use this program:

10 SCREEN2
20 CIRCLE(128,96),80,15,,,1.19
30 GOTO 30

This should draw a perfect circle on your VG8010. If it's still elliptical there's something wrong.

By Tom-Cat

Rookie (23)

Tom-Cat's picture

16-08-2003, 00:57

Thanx!

Yes, it is eliptical - vertically smashed . It is visible... kinda a lot. So what could be wrong ? Is there a vertical size thingy inside my Philips ? Smile

Tomaz

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

16-08-2003, 01:29

If you use a monitor it probably has a vertical size knob on the back. Even a lot of TV's have vertical size knobs, but they're usually internal.

By Tom-Cat

Rookie (23)

Tom-Cat's picture

16-08-2003, 07:47

Thanx for the ideas Smile

I am using a TV ... which is also used for normal TV watching and four other computers... so won't be changing that. I would rather change something inside Philips to get the picture to correct aspect.

Any HW experts out there who could advise me on what to do ?

Tomaz

By Tom-Cat

Rookie (23)

Tom-Cat's picture

16-08-2003, 11:40

I just remembered one more nasty thing (apart from vertical squeeze of the picture) that this Philips VG8010 seems to have :

In basic I can normally type in stuff, everything works as it should - all keystrokes produce proper letters on the screen.
BUT - in MOST games they keyboard doesn't work properly. Normally I have to press totally different keys to what the game says to select options, start the game, etc... This is visible in the games that have configurable keys - keys produce totally different actions than they should ("," produces 2, "P" produces 0, etc.). Is this normal ?

Also in most games the joystick(s) work fine. But in some (namely Head over Heels and Batman) when I move the joystick the whole computer locks up.

Man, this is getting stranger and stranger Smile

Tomaz

Page 1/2