Carnivore 2 and flashing two konamis

Page 1/2
| 2

By makinavaja

Master (212)

makinavaja's picture

08-12-2019, 15:25

Hi
I would like to know if its possible flash two konami roms (for example, game master 2 and gradius) and emulate that I've got both of them connected on the slot cartridges of my msx.
With the megaflashrom and a patched version of the game master 2 it is possible, but I haven't found a way to do it with carnivore 2.
Any idea?

Login or register to post comments

By Pencioner

Paragon (1041)

Pencioner's picture

08-12-2019, 19:53

makinavaja wrote:

Hi
I would like to know if its possible flash two konami roms (for example, game master 2 and gradius) and emulate that I've got both of them connected on the slot cartridges of my msx.
With the megaflashrom and a patched version of the game master 2 it is possible, but I haven't found a way to do it with carnivore 2.
Any idea?

afaik it was possible only on old (non-SD) version of megaflashrom, recent mfr just patches game somehow with loader to make it think that there's a gamemaster. with C2 it is not possible (but theoretically likewise patching might do the trick, i guess)

By Alexey

Guardian (2537)

Alexey's picture

08-12-2019, 21:44

You need 2 flash cartridges to make this work. One has the game's ROM, the other has the Game Master's ROM. You can use Carnivore2 to host the Game Master. We added presets for both Game Master ROMs here:

https://github.com/RBSC/Carnivore2/tree/master/Presets

I tested this and Game Master worked with Konami games at least.

By Guillian

Prophet (3260)

Guillian's picture

08-12-2019, 22:03

Pencioner wrote:

afaik it was possible only on old (non-SD) version of megaflashrom, recent mfr just patches game somehow with loader to make it think that there's a gamemaster. with C2 it is not possible (but theoretically likewise patching might do the trick, i guess)

The old MFR SCC+ could load up to 4 ROMs in each subslot.

The new MFR SCC+ SD can use GM2-PACK (Game Master 2 patched by OKEI) to load Game Master 2 plus up to 3 Konami ROMs (using /Bx option)
So you can make "real" cartridge combinations, like Salamander + Nemesis 2. Even you can load Game Master 2 + Nemesis 2 + Penguin Adventure (or similar combinations)

Also it is possible to make "fake" combinations like Pencioner said, using /RC option, to patch the ROM and simulate there is another cartridge inserted.

By Alexey

Guardian (2537)

Alexey's picture

08-12-2019, 22:16

Never had MFR, so I was not aware that you can have 4 ROMs at a time in one cartridge. Nice feature if you need GM + game combination. But then you loose other functionality like disk drive, RAM expansion or SCC.

By Pencioner

Paragon (1041)

Pencioner's picture

08-12-2019, 22:53

Guillian wrote:

The new MFR SCC+ SD can use GM2-PACK (Game Master 2 patched by OKEI) to load Game Master 2 plus up to 3 Konami ROMs (using /Bx option)
So you can make "real" cartridge combinations, like Salamander + Nemesis 2. Even you can load Game Master 2 + Nemesis 2 + Penguin Adventure (or similar combinations)

@Guillian: but most of manuals on your site is version 1.16 and it has no mention of this /B switch. Only japanese version is updated... that's why i didn't know about that feature

By sdsnatcher73

Paladin (731)

sdsnatcher73's picture

09-12-2019, 07:47

This could be a nice feature for the C2, should be possible with correct RCP (or through C2MAN) to configure a combination of ROMs in C2's subslots (as an entry in the bootblock)...

The /B option was announced here on the forum a while back (2014 ;))... Luckily the link to the GM2-PACK.ips is still working ;)

By Guillian

Prophet (3260)

Guillian's picture

09-12-2019, 10:17

Alexey wrote:

Never had MFR, so I was not aware that you can have 4 ROMs at a time in one cartridge. Nice feature if you need GM + game combination. But then you loose other functionality like disk drive, RAM expansion or SCC.

Not really. That feature is enabled just when launching/playing the games. The SCC is available, and you have SCC sound in games like Nemesis 2.
You don't need ROM Disk or RAM expansion in order to play a Konami ROM. After playing, all the features of the cartridge are back.

@Pencioner: That feature is quite old (also available in the MFR SCC+). But you are right, I should update the user's manual (^^!).

By Alexey

Guardian (2537)

Alexey's picture

09-12-2019, 18:16

We'll see what we can do to enable the dual-ROM setup in Carnivore2.

By sdsnatcher73

Paladin (731)

sdsnatcher73's picture

09-12-2019, 19:42

Sharksym's MMCSD also has this feature in the most recent update.

By makinavaja

Master (212)

makinavaja's picture

10-12-2019, 20:04

Yes, megaflashrom SCC SD can do it. Nowadays I do it with that card.
The problem that still haven't been solved is this: flash game master 2 + any konami game, then "mount" an empty dsk, and save game with game master 2 on that empty dsk.
Its still not possible yet.

Page 1/2
| 2