Carnivore 2: c2man does not find cartridge

Page 3/5
1 | 2 | | 4 | 5

By Alexey

Guardian (2573)

Alexey's picture

24-01-2020, 11:04

Some MSXs have only one cartridge slot. How to detect how many cartridge slots an MSX has and identify them by numbers? And how to reliably detect that a slot is expanded?

By Grauw

Ascended (8683)

Grauw's picture

24-01-2020, 13:04

Alexey wrote:

Some MSXs have only one cartridge slot. How to detect how many cartridge slots an MSX has and identify them by numbers?

You can’t, internal and external slots are treated the same. The only certainty is that slot 0 / 0-0 is never external, because it is active in the initial power-on state and the BIOS must reside there to boot. I think some MSX-es use slot 3 as an external slot, so you can’t assume it is always slot 1 and 2. Also the Yamaha module slots are often a subslot.

Alexey wrote:

And how to reliably detect that a slot is expanded?

That one’s easy: read the contents of EXPTBL at 0FCC1H. Bit 7 of each byte in this table indicates the expanded status of each primary slot.

The BIOS uses the fact that the secondary slot register reads back as the complement of what was written to determine if a secondary slot register is present and initialise this table.

By Alexey

Guardian (2573)

Alexey's picture

24-01-2020, 17:52

Thanks. Yes, indeed, Carnivore can work in the RBSC's side slot cartridge adapter for Yamahas, but it can't expand its own slot and won't be able to use anything else that FlashROM + SCC.

But if we take Casio MSXs with only one slot - how it is possible to detect that there's no slot 2?

By hamlet

Scribe (2877)

hamlet's picture

24-01-2020, 19:29

It is possible to add two cartridge slots by combining the MX-10 with the KB-10 expansion unit.

By Pencioner

Paragon (1066)

Pencioner's picture

24-01-2020, 19:49

Alexey wrote:

Thanks. Yes, indeed, Carnivore can work in the RBSC's side slot cartridge adapter for Yamahas, but it can't expand its own slot and won't be able to use anything else that FlashROM + SCC.

But if we take Casio MSXs with only one slot - how it is possible to detect that there's no slot 2?

I think that the slot is virtually always there, but if you have it not connected to anything, you'll just read FF-s from it everytime (so indistinguishable with other slot which is connected but empty)

By Alexey

Guardian (2573)

Alexey's picture

27-01-2020, 15:54

I have a question about slot expanders. If a machine has 2 slots - one primary (1) and one secondary (2) and the slot expander with 3 more slots is connected to the secondary slot, what numbers will the slot expander's slots have? Will those be fully expandable slots with their own IDs (3,4,5)?

By sdsnatcher73

Paladin (752)

sdsnatcher73's picture

27-01-2020, 16:15

Hi Alexey, the expanded slots from primary slot 2 will be 2-0, 2-1, 2-2 and 2-3. Same as if you would use a C2 in expanded slot mode in slot 2.

By Pencioner

Paragon (1066)

Pencioner's picture

27-01-2020, 17:09

Alexey wrote:

I have a question about slot expanders. If a machine has 2 slots - one primary (1) and one secondary (2) and the slot expander with 3 more slots is connected to the secondary slot, what numbers will the slot expander's slots have? Will those be fully expandable slots with their own IDs (3,4,5)?

They wouldn't be expandable, it is not like USB (unfortunately), so each of two primary slots can be expanded to four but then they can only be unexpanded

By Pencioner

Paragon (1066)

Pencioner's picture

27-01-2020, 18:25

Pencioner wrote:
Alexey wrote:

I have a question about slot expanders. If a machine has 2 slots - one primary (1) and one secondary (2) and the slot expander with 3 more slots is connected to the secondary slot, what numbers will the slot expander's slots have? Will those be fully expandable slots with their own IDs (3,4,5)?

They wouldn't be expandable, it is not like USB (unfortunately), so each of two primary slots can be expanded to four but then they can only be unexpanded

Now i think i misunderstood question...

By Alexey

Guardian (2573)

Alexey's picture

02-02-2020, 16:36

I have another question - how to reliably detect that your code is running on Korean or Arabic MSX implementation?

Page 3/5
1 | 2 | | 4 | 5