Daewoo CPG-100 : MSX/PC-Engine hybrid?

By Sander

Ambassador (1855)

Sander's picture

02-05-2009, 10:48

While browsing some Korean pages I found this ad:

img5.imageshack.us/img5/5849/cpg100.jpg

Running the blog of the owner of this picture through some translation sites, it says that the CPG-100 has support for Zemmix and PC Engine games. The Zemmix carts can be inserted in the back of the machine. (And yes, I've read all earlier topics on Korean hardware)

We need a native Korean speaker to verify of course, but still..

Original blog is here: http://comandgame.tistory.com/34

BTW: 재믹스 translate into MSX right?

Login or register to post comments

By Skyblasc

Resident (61)

Skyblasc's picture

04-05-2009, 12:52

Shuttle PCengine, is not MSX compatible hardware ( unless it's some kind of korean bootleg clon). It's a PCengine stripped down of the hardware conections for ampliations such CD-ROM, plus composite video output ( oposed to original PCE, RF only) and capable only to run PCE Hucards.

As being a Korean advertisement, it's possible for Zemmina to be involved in more than just MSX console-clones in Korea, maybe it was also in PCE market, but I strongly doubt that it was a msx/pce machine

By TheRogue

Expert (116)

TheRogue's picture

22-07-2009, 22:16

Sorry for bringing an old topic back, but if you read the article, you'll notice that this is not the original NEC PC Engine Shuttle that Skyblasc is talking about, this is a model made by Daewoo, and it stands to reason that a company making a game machine for sale in Korea, where the MSX (Zemmix) was very popular would include Zemmix support. considering how small the Zemmix boards are, and how super small the PC engine chipset is, I could see it fitting into a PC Engine Shuttle case. I don't know for sure, I'm just surmising.

By Skyblasc

Resident (61)

Skyblasc's picture

29-07-2009, 10:32

Sorry for bringing an old topic back, but if you read the article, you'll notice that this is not the original NEC PC Engine Shuttle that Skyblasc is talking about, this is a model made by Daewoo

It is indeed, but again, if you take note of the first paragraph of the blog, it says that the machine is a re-mix of PC ENgine Shuttle, as well as other remixes existed in that time, like the MSX remix ( that is, I believe, the conection with Zemina).

The rest of the text is a copy of the advertised text where it doesn't mention MSX nor Zemina anymore, but it mentions some of the games you can play, like P47, Galaga88, SPaceHarrier, etc.... All PCEngine games ( as we see in the second advertisement scan. That one for the original PCEngine)

So, I think it is not a dual machine PCE-MSX, but that doesn't meen that it couldn't be possible ^_^