Does Modulon solve the infamous SCC-FM-PAK-PSG balance problem (NMS 8250)?

By siddy6581

Rookie (32)

siddy6581's picture

14-04-2018, 18:41

Hi everyone.
Okay so I probably read all of the old threads about how to solve the balance problem that occues on NMS 8250 (+ other models) when playing games using both PSG sound from the computer and sounds from the SCC or FM Pak in cartridge. I know all the soldering tutorials etc.

What I like to know is if there is any non-soldering solution available for this problem?
I saw someone mentioning that they had no problem with sound balance when using cartridges with Technobytes 4-slot expander. So could a cartridge expander be a possible solotion? And what does the expander do to solve the probelm?

Does anyone know if SuperSoniq's Modulon (3 slot expander) can fix this problem? Would be a wonderful solution

best regards / drop-out-from-the-solder-academy-Sid, Sweden

Login or register to post comments

By Meits

Scribe (4924)

Meits's picture

14-04-2018, 20:05

That does not solve it. You do have some volumeknobs on the Modulon, but still there are some designflaws within the 8250 which can not be fixed by that.

By siddy6581

Rookie (32)

siddy6581's picture

14-04-2018, 20:23

Meits wrote:

That does not solve it. You do have some volumeknobs on the Modulon, but still there are some designflaws within the 8250 which can not be fixed by that.

I've tride the Play "v15c", "v15c","v15c"-test and got only clean sound, no distorition. So luckly my model is not plagued by that problem. But as I understood the PSG sound somehow gets lower in output when sound-cartridges gets connected. I guess he volumeknobs on Modulon can lower the FK PAK output, but now increase the PSG volume.

AN IDEA: The MegaFlashRom may be a solution though. I have not tried it yet, but If i've understood what
wrote correctly about the MFR, the cart can sort of emulate the PSG together with the SCC and therefore transfer the PSG to an "external" sound output, making it adjustable with the volumeknobs in the Modulon.
2ND IDEA: Use Playsonic cartride in a similare way.

Could any of it be possible?

By Hydragon

Hero (604)

Hydragon's picture

15-04-2018, 04:12

Hi @siddy6581, I first went for a tecnobytes expander, that experience was not so good unfortunately. I switched to a Modulon and it works as intended, it even has option on the side, to adjust volume of tha cartridges.
Got it well-balanced working, I stream on regular base on Twitch, using real hardware, feel free to tune in on www.twitch.tv/mrhydragon to experience the output of the sound yourself.

By siddy6581

Rookie (32)

siddy6581's picture

15-04-2018, 10:24

Hi Hydragon.
I've read about that incident. I will probably go with Modulon, mostly because of price (extra EU import costs) and design. Do you use any extension cable btw to connect the Modulon?

What's your expereince with the Modulons effect on the PSG-output on your MSX-computer or do you already have a Philips NMS with the soundcard fixed?

By Hydragon

Hero (604)

Hydragon's picture

16-04-2018, 20:32

Well siddy, with the volume balancer on the modulon, you can balance the other cartridges so it gets more in sync with PSG, that's what I did though.
I'm not using an extension cable, it's directly in the backslot of my 8245, so far I'm not aware of any soundcard problems, since everything works fine and no distortions. Been streaming with the hardware setup for a few weeks now.

My MSX profile