EME213-MA - can anyone take a pic of this floppy drive for me?

Page 1/3
| 2 | 3

By Rewrite

Supporter (9)

Rewrite's picture

21-02-2019, 05:26

I tore down my FSA1WSX to replace the belt, and decided I'd do the caps too.

Pulled all 3 caps, wrote down the values/locations, ordered them.

Now a week later the caps have come in and my list of locations is gone... Thankfully they're all three /very/ different sizes, so even just a quick picture will help immensely!

Login or register to post comments

By Argon

Paragon (1058)

Argon's picture

21-02-2019, 08:28

By Rewrite

Supporter (9)

Rewrite's picture

21-02-2019, 17:58

Wrong side of the floppy in all those pictures, and all the links. I've also Googled fairly extensively for EME-213MA, and even other EME-213 variants in hopes of getting the other side, but none show the caps :(.

Thank you though!

By jimmydeath

Supporter (5)

jimmydeath's picture

22-02-2019, 19:00

If you are replacing caps then I am guessing these are electrolytic with the chances being that at least some of them are connected to the power rails.

If you are stuck then you could use an ohm meter to see if any of the pins are connected to the +5, +12 or gnd rails and use that as a basis to fit them, e.g. if one pin is connected to gnd then connect the -ve terminal to that.

If you are really stuck you could power it up without them fitted and check which pin is the most positive, connect the capacitors and then power up and check again.

Presumably there isn't a circuit diagram for this model that you can work from.

Regards

James

By Rewrite

Supporter (9)

Rewrite's picture

22-02-2019, 19:15

jimmydeath wrote:

If you are replacing caps then I am guessing these are electrolytic with the chances being that at least some of them are connected to the power rails.

If you are stuck then you could use an ohm meter to see if any of the pins are connected to the +5, +12 or gnd rails and use that as a basis to fit them, e.g. if one pin is connected to gnd then connect the -ve terminal to that.

If you are really stuck you could power it up without them fitted and check which pin is the most positive, connect the capacitors and then power up and check again.

Orientation isn't the issue here unfortunately. The board is clearly marked for the positive leg. The issue is:

3 caps:
1uF 50v
47uF 6.3v
220uF 6.3v

3 locations:
C19
C20
C22

I don't know which goes where.

I was hoping that someone else must own an FSA-1WSX, and have 5-10 minutes they can offer of their time to pop off the top case and take a quick pic.

By Pencioner

Paladin (843)

Pencioner's picture

22-02-2019, 20:50

i have photos of board of my A1WX (but not A1WSX - so i'm not sure if it helps)

By Meits

Scribe (5310)

Meits's picture

22-02-2019, 20:59

Rewrite wrote:
jimmydeath wrote:

Orientation isn't the issue here unfortunately. The board is clearly marked for the positive leg. The issue is:

3 caps:
1uF 50v
47uF 6.3v
220uF 6.3v

3 locations:
C19
C20
C22

I don't know which goes where.

I was hoping that someone else must own an FSA-1WSX, and have 5-10 minutes they can offer of their time to pop off the top case and take a quick pic.

If they're easily visible without having to take the diskdrive and/or keyboard out I could take a pic for you.

By jimmydeath

Supporter (5)

jimmydeath's picture

23-02-2019, 01:28

Hmm, ok.

Does the board give any clues as to the size, only one of those could be connected across the 12V supply which would leave you 50/50 on the other two. Maybe they have different pitch leads and/or can size which may eliminate them from certain locations.

Clutching at straws here but if you can't dig up any photos then it may be Sherlock Holmes time.

Good luck

By Meits

Scribe (5310)

Meits's picture

23-02-2019, 15:51

Maybe this helps as well?

By Rewrite

Supporter (9)

Rewrite's picture

24-02-2019, 00:34

Meits wrote:
Rewrite wrote:

If they're easily visible without having to take the diskdrive and/or keyboard out I could take a pic for you.

They're super visible. If you take the case off of the MSX then you can see the top of the floppy drive, no need to remove it or the keyboard.

On the floppy drive, right between the ribbon connector and the drive motor there are 3 capacitors. I just need a pic of those 3.

Thank you!

I saw the link to that site, but it doesn't have the floppy PCB's pics, just the main unit.

By Rewrite

Supporter (9)

Rewrite's picture

24-02-2019, 00:35

Pencioner wrote:

i have photos of board of my A1WX (but not A1WSX - so i'm not sure if it helps)

If the floppy drive is also an EME-213MA then it would help. I'm honestly not sure what drive is in there as I don't have an A1WX.

Page 1/3
| 2 | 3
My MSX profile