FDD+IDE controller and Universal Flash ROM cartridge projects + future Multi-soundcard cartridge

Page 3/16
1 | 2 | | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

04-11-2015, 06:37

Guillian wrote:

MegaFlashROM SCC+ SD works like a slot expander with 4 different cartridges inserted

Which ones? I can figure out three of them:

- Memory mapper
- Flash ROM (is this ROM shared between the SD IF kernel and the ROMs stored in the cartridge?)
- SD interface / disk ROM

What's the fourth one?

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

04-11-2015, 06:41

djh1697 wrote:

MG2 is a 2 megabit game which is 512k

2 Megabits equal 256 Kilobytes.

1 megabit = 1,048,576 bytes
1,048,576 bytes / (8 bits/byte) = 131,072 bytes
131,072 bytes / (1024 bytes/kilobyte) = 128 kilobytes

By Alexey

Guardian (2351)

Alexey's picture

05-11-2015, 21:50

Now the multi flash ROM cartridge can run games with all mappers: Ascii 8 bit, Ascii 16 bit, Konami4 and Konami5. It can also be used as a separate SCC cartridge for disk games and demos. We are also planning to put MSX Audio inside.

By giuseve

Paladin (733)

giuseve's picture

06-11-2015, 07:55

Sd+megaflash+scc already seen and still available
Sd as standalone cart still available
Msxaudio+msxmusic+moonsound+(sampleram)+(midi)+(v9990) never seen before

It would be great to avoid having so many version of the same solution while others are missing...
...especially on a homebrew world as msx
What do you think?

By Guillian

Prophet (3230)

Guillian's picture

06-11-2015, 10:16

JaviLM wrote:
Guillian wrote:

MegaFlashROM SCC+ SD works like a slot expander with 4 different cartridges inserted

Which ones? I can figure out three of them:

- Memory mapper
- Flash ROM (is this ROM shared between the SD IF kernel and the ROMs stored in the cartridge?)
- SD interface / disk ROM

What's the fourth one?

Subslot 0: Recovery menu.
Subslot 1: MegaFlashROM SCC+
Subslot 2: RAM
Subslot 3: Nextor + SD interface + ROM Disk

The flashROM memory is used to store all the firmware (Recovery, DSKROM, Nextor, ROM Disk) and MegaFlashROM SCC+
MegaFlashROM SCC+ can access the whole flashROM (8MB), but OPFXSD limits the access to ~7MB.

By Alexey

Guardian (2351)

Alexey's picture

06-11-2015, 11:17

giuseve wrote:

Sd+megaflash+scc already seen and still available
Sd as standalone cart still available
Msxaudio+msxmusic+moonsound+(sampleram)+(midi)+(v9990) never seen before
It would be great to avoid having so many version of the same solution while others are missing...
...especially on a homebrew world as msx
What do you think?

If everyone would think like that, we would be all driving steam-powered cars and fly in wooden planes. Our goal was not to repeat the same, but to make it cheaper and better. I can't afford paying 150 euro for a cartridge. Our cartridge costs 30 euros + some fun assembling it. I can afford this and I gain experience while soldering it.

Besides the "standard" functionality we will have RAM and MSX Music in this cartridge. The 64mb flash ROM can hold all your favorite games at once so you don't need to re-flash it every time you need a new game. And we will also make a combo music cartridge with lots of nice features that will cost a fraction of Moonsound's price.

Concerning the V9990, if the project owners would share their work instead of sitting tight on their know-how, we would probably include it in our project list.

By syn

Paragon (1920)

syn's picture

06-11-2015, 14:09

Alexey wrote:

Now the multi flash ROM cartridge can run games with all mappers: Ascii 8 bit, Ascii 16 bit, Konami4 and Konami5. It can also be used as a separate SCC cartridge for disk games and demos. We are also planning to put MSX Audio inside.

Dont listen to negative comments, your work looks great Big smile

I have some questions/remarks regarding the flashrom cart:

1. Have you tested Pointless Fighting? It is 2MB (bytes not bits!) Ascii16 ROM, afaik the biggest MSX cartridge game up until now (Super Mario World may end up bigger).
2. I read in this post you want to add MSX Audio but in your post above this one you say MSX music, so which one is it?
3. Judging from your pictures you dont have lots of space left on pcb. Additional soundchips are going to be FGPA implementations?
4. As with any audio cartridge, I wonder how you will solve the problem with different sound balance between msx models? Seperate audio out? some volume dial?
5. Soldering that altera looks impossible for someone (like me) who is not good with solder iron (I myself havent touched one in 20+ years!). Will you come with some solution for this in the final product?

By Alexey

Guardian (2351)

Alexey's picture

06-11-2015, 15:24

syn][quote=Alexey wrote:

Dont listen to negative comments, your work looks great Big smile
I have some questions/remarks regarding the flashrom cart:
1. Have you tested Pointless Fighting? It is 2MB (bytes not bits!) Ascii16 ROM, afaik the biggest MSX cartridge game up until now (Super Mario World may end up bigger).
2. I read in this post you want to add MSX Audio but in your post above this one you say MSX music, so which one is it?
3. Judging from your pictures you dont have lots of space left on pcb. Additional soundchips are going to be FGPA implementations?
4. As with any audio cartridge, I wonder how you will solve the problem with different sound balance between msx models? Seperate audio out? some volume dial?
5. Soldering that altera looks impossible for someone (like me) who is not good with solder iron (I myself havent touched one in 20+ years!). Will you come with some solution for this in the final product?

Thanks for your support!

1. Pointless fighting works without a problem. Metal Gear 2 works with SCC sound, many other games including 16kb, 32kb, 48kb, 1 and 2 megabit also work. Some games don't work, but we need to see whether they are intact (not corrupted or modified)
2. We are thinking of implementing FMPAC - that is MSX Music + SRAM, right?
3. The OPLL implementation exists for Altera, so we won't need more chips. The back side of the board is quite empty, so there will be a RAM chip and possibly USB controller, so that you could access the flash ROM directly via USB interface.
4. The audio cartridge is still a plan. When we start thinking about the practical implementation, we will have to solve that kind of problems somehow. But first we need to finish the flashROM cartridge. The IDE/FDD controller is now finished.
5. We are not planning to make and sell those cartridges. Maybe prototypes that we used for testing will be sold, but I am not sure. We will release Gerber files, firmware and utilities for free so every person could build this cartridge for himself. Or ask someone to build it.

By syn

Paragon (1920)

syn's picture

06-11-2015, 15:55

2. yes. MSX-Music as a standard is indeed the OPLL/YM2413, and FM pac is just the normal PAC (for saving game progress/scores) + the msx music part. Which is totally different from the MSX-Audio standard, which contains the Y8950 soundchip. So I was confused when you said MSX Audio Big smile

I think I misunderstood your idea, I thought you were going to add the msx music to the flashcart (which already contains SCC), but you meant for the seperate "multi soundchip cartridge" right?

By giuseve

Paladin (733)

giuseve's picture

06-11-2015, 16:03

Yes Guys, your work is simply great !!
I was only dreaming about a kitset of 2 cartridges who would add to my NMS8245 upgraded to Plus almost all the best HW features in 2 CART.
Sincerely I think that MFRSCCSD512K is simply great. Ok maybe it is not so cheap, but it really rocks.
With it my MSX now has:
- 640Kram
- SCC+ Audio
- 8Mbit FlashRom
- an SD slot where I can Use a SD as HDD with nextor
.. and it is an Amazing experience...

think about another cart with...
- Moonsound
- MSX Audio
- MSX Music
- something else

So many MSX2 and MSX2+ users would have the ultimate Hardware solution without using a slotexpander

Page 3/16
1 | 2 | | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8