getting a Sakhr_AX-350II working in the US

Page 1/2

By RogerWilco

Supporter (3)

RogerWilco's picture

07-12-2019, 22:31

Hi, new to the forum and new to the MSX.

I recently picked up Sakhr AX-350II and had a few questions.
1. it appears to have a type C power plug. I didn't think any arabic countries used this plug? Does this unit have a switching power supply and if so, can I just use an adapter and plug it into my 110 socket? Or would I need an inverter?

2. I know holding down a key I can bypass the Arabic ROM, is there anything I can do to convert it to Yamaha japanese roms? or any UK / european ROMs?

3. is this thing PAL or NTSC? Does someone have a pinout for the RGB interface? Does it use the standard c64/atari composite breakout cable?

sorry for the very basic questions, I just can't find a lot of info, if someone can point me to some references I would greatly appreciate that as well.

thanks in advance everyone!

Login or register to post comments

By Meits

Scribe (5717)

Meits's picture

07-12-2019, 23:46

as for the power, you will need a step up converter or build in a new power supply.
i don't know anything about the built in software, but it will play every cartridge except metal gear 1 japanese. That one is region locked. You'd need the european version for that.

edit:
that sticker on the bottom site distracts me... it also says 110V...

By RogerWilco

Supporter (3)

RogerWilco's picture

07-12-2019, 23:53

great thanks for the input!

after i thought about it, yeah it would make sense 110-240v, means it has a switching PSU. just looking around for a type A to Type C plug adapter and off I go.

do you know by chance if the RGB connector is type A or B? I can't quite tell from the port - would be easier to distinguish if i had the cable.

once i get it up and running, going to gotek it.

By Alexey

Guardian (2537)

Alexey's picture

08-12-2019, 01:01

If I remember correctly, the power supply on YIS503III has 2 internal connectors - one for 220v, another - for 110v. There's no voltage switch. So you need to plug the cable into the 110v connector and change the plug to US type. The cable is 230v rated, so it's safe to use it with 110v. But I am not sure about the Arabic MSX. It may have a different PSU. Please make a picture of the PSU's board from both sides. Then it will become clear if re-plugging the cable will work.

By sdsnatcher73

Paladin (731)

sdsnatcher73's picture

08-12-2019, 04:55

On the label it is rated 110-240V which means it will accept anything in that range. The YIS-503IIIR is rated at 220V (it will have some tolerance of course). The Japanese Yamaha’s are all rated 100V.

So changing the plug or using a plug converter (not a power converter) will suffice to power this machine in the US (which seems to have had some rough times).

You can most likely use a Japanese MSX2 ROM and SUBROM but you will then have to guess which key will do what (as the keyboard matrix in the ROM then reacts as if it were connected to a Japanese keyboard. It is probably better to remove the Arabic ROMs from the machine (which seems to use one big ROM with logic to split it over the different slots), a dump of the ROM is available here.

By RogerWilco

Supporter (3)

RogerWilco's picture

08-12-2019, 06:56

thank you, you guys have been very helpful.

which rom DUMP is referenced in that link?

is there a UK/English ROM?

By Wild_Penguin

Hero (580)

Wild_Penguin's picture

08-12-2019, 17:27

Hi RogerWilco,

I have one of these computers! This is a PAL machine.

As already stated, it should probably accept 110-240V as it says so on the bottom. However it is also easy to open it up and take a look to confirm (however it would be odd if they made such an error on the bottom plate, as it can be misleading and dangerours for users, and I would be surprised if that was the case). I don't remember what the PSU looks like, since I live in a 230V area and wasn't interested in it. Take care while opening the cover - the plastic tabs are easy to break (look up the instructions for the similar models)! In case you want to change the lead / plug, you are going to need to open it in any case (unless you are going to use an adapter).

I don't think there are UK/English ROMs. No particular MSX had swappable ROMs for different regions; of course there could be almost identical models localized for another region, but usually they involved at least changes to the keyboard (caps), so you can not just swap the ROM to another one, at least not in most cases. Also, it would make little sense to change the ROM to UK/English, as there is little to change. The keyboard layout could be changed, but you would need to change the keycaps, too. The built-in software is already also in English (in addition to Arabic).

Also, welcome! Did you already notice the great Wiki on this site? Hannibal https://www.msx.org/wiki/Sakhr_AX-350II

By Wild_Penguin

Hero (580)

Wild_Penguin's picture

08-12-2019, 17:22

Also, just remembered I had taken some pictures from my AX-350II when I received it... probably straight from a desert!

There's one picture where the PSU can be seen, however I only took it to document all the dust, sand and rust inside, so it is not a closeup of the PSU but a general view =).

I will check later, as I may have some more pictures from the insides somewhere...

By sdsnatcher73

Paladin (731)

sdsnatcher73's picture

08-12-2019, 15:39

RogerWilco wrote:

thank you, you guys have been very helpful.

which rom DUMP is referenced in that link?

is there a UK/English ROM?

It is a dump from the complete ROM, Arabic software as well as the international standard MSX rom (but with the correct keyboard matrix for your MSX2). I would suggest stripping out the Arabic parts and leave only the international ROMs (there should be 3 you need, the main MSX2 BIOS/BASIC, the MSX2 subrom, and the disk rom. To identify them in the big ROM you can get the individual ROMs from here. Those are also dumps from a AX350II but then split up.

By Alexey

Guardian (2537)

Alexey's picture

08-12-2019, 21:09

OMG! That poor machine had water damage, broken clamps, severed wires and rust on many elements. The GRAPH and Space keys are destroyed (no pushers, no keys, KANA or whatever key missing a cap.). I wonder what happened to this computer afterwards?

By Pencioner

Paragon (1041)

Pencioner's picture

08-12-2019, 21:22

... my guess - that poor computer was returned to the seller by ebay buyer protection ...

Page 1/2