GoldStar Fc-200

By nuno14272

Supporter (1)

nuno14272's picture

24-05-2019, 13:12

Hello,

I've purchased a MSX1 GoldStar FC-200 and the internal power supply is not working... all voltages are 0...

So i want to replace it, using a PC ATX power supply.. the goldstar fc-200 as a connector labelled: GND, +5, +12, -12. That's easy with the pc power supply.

but, theres a second 2 wire conector, going into the main board, that's have no label.. it's a black and a yellow wire..

Can someone with the knowlodge or the same MSX tell me what voltage goes in the secondary connctor ?? so i can make a circuit and replicate it ???

Thank you

Login or register to post comments

By Thom

Hero (578)

Thom's picture

24-05-2019, 15:20

In the wiki there is a link to the service manual

Is the information you're looking for in there?

By RetroTechie

Paragon (1563)

RetroTechie's picture

25-05-2019, 06:31

Welcome here, nuno14272! Running Naked in a Field of Flowers

Service manual doesn't have a schematic of the power supply, only parts location. There are some images on the 'net of the psu unit, though.

nuno14272 wrote:

So i want to replace it, using a PC ATX power supply..

Not saying you shouldn't, but there are drawbacks. Fan noise, for one. Or that in case of failure of a part inside the MSX (or cartridge!), an ATX psu could dump >300W of power into your MSX. So at least you'd have to insert some fuses into various lines. Or that many such power supplies don't like supplying just a few Amps on the 5V & pretty much nothing beside that. Also: poor regulation on the 5V line would be a side effect of that, since modern ATX supplies expect most of their load on the 12V line.

FC-200 power supply seems a fairly basic linear type. If mains transformer is okay (VERY likely) and you have a multimeter (yes? since you checked voltages Wink ), then it IS easy to repair. If you don't know electronics yourself, no problem we can guide you through it.

Quote:

Can someone with the knowlodge or the same MSX tell me what voltage goes in the secondary connctor ??

Easiest: remove power supply board from case, unscrew cooling plate from bridge rectifiers & that bit of metal that clamps the voltage regulators to the heatsink, take photo's from top & bottom, and post those somewhere. Then it'll be easy to trace where the wires in that 2-wire connector come from & what's on it. And perhaps draw a circuit diagram, which would help in repairing the unit.

But first things first: have you checked fuse(s) ? If not: unplug from mains AC, unplug connectors from mainboard, locate all fuses in the unit including in primary side of the transformer (if present Question ), and check each of those. Any of those failed: replace, plug in mains AC, and check output voltages. All okay: reconnect main board & check again. Sometimes a fuse blows for no obvious reason & replacing it does the job.