Help hacking and restoring AX-350II sakhr

Page 17/18
10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | | 18

By Wild_Penguin

Champion (461)

Wild_Penguin's picture

07-04-2018, 21:13

Hi Ali,

It seems that the drive in question can be jumpered so that it uses DS0 instead. Also "RDY" signal should be available. No need to solder anything or dismantle a cable! See here:

http://jope.fi/drives/SAMSUNG-SFD321B-070103.pdf

Also this page seems to have tons of information about other drives, in case you have others drives to try out; maybe yours is mentioned here:

http://jope.fi/drives/

Hope this helps!

p.s. Please remember to tell which drive you are asking information about, when you ask a question. In general try give all relevant information, since it is quite difficult to follow long threads like this!

I noticed afterwards (from some of the pages previously in this thread) that one of the drives you tried is the Samsung sdf-321b you mentioned now. That drive has "opa" and "opb" jumpers somewhere, but these jumpers are drive specific. They are used to select the density, and should be "off", but it doesn't really matter if you close the "HD" hole on all disks you use. See the PDF I linked above, it has information about these jumpers.

By ali6x944

Master (129)

ali6x944's picture

10-04-2018, 07:43

Wild_Penguin wrote:

Hi Ali,

It seems that the drive in question can be jumpered so that it uses DS0 instead. Also "RDY" signal should be available. No need to solder anything or dismantle a cable! See here:

Also this page seems to have tons of information about other drives, in case you have others drives to try out; maybe yours is mentioned here:

Hope this helps!

p.s. Please remember to tell which drive you are asking information about, when you ask a question. In general try give all relevant information, since it is quite difficult to follow long threads like this!

I noticed afterwards (from some of the pages previously in this thread) that one of the drives you tried is the Samsung sdf-321b you mentioned now. That drive has "opa" and "opb" jumpers somewhere, but these jumpers are drive specific. They are used to select the density, and should be "off", but it doesn't really matter if you close the "HD" hole on all disks you use. See the PDF I linked above, it has information about these jumpers.

Great news, so the only modifications should be RDY and DS0, DC should not be connected to pin 2?

By ali6x944

Master (129)

ali6x944's picture

10-04-2018, 16:04

Sadly it didn't work at all no matter if I flip the connector or not...

By ali6x944

Master (129)

ali6x944's picture

10-04-2018, 16:13

When trying to format or to save to disk the message shown would be disk error and disk offline respectively

By ali6x944

Master (129)

ali6x944's picture

11-04-2018, 15:23

the disk spins indefinitely if the cable is plunged one way or dose not spin at all when plugged the other way...
also when it is always spinning the indicator light is always on.

By ali6x944

Master (129)

ali6x944's picture

15-04-2018, 16:19

Wild_Penguin wrote:

Hi Ali,

Hope this helps!

I am really confused why the drive isn't working, I have read the links and they were very helpful...
but I wasn't able to make it work, I really need some help :(

By ali6x944

Master (129)

ali6x944's picture

18-05-2018, 15:16

i have been wondering if the communication chips where at fault, maybe the machine is using a standard pc interface but the chips are dead, so far the progress in hacking the Samsung sdf-321b drive have been really slow and the only thing i have got so far is a stuck on status led and a constantly spinning motor or a disk error/disk offline...
to summarise, here are all the modifications currently in the drive :
1.jumper is moved from DC to RDY
2.solder blob/jumper is moved from DS1 to DS0
the board REV is SS-01

By ali6x944

Master (129)

ali6x944's picture

18-05-2018, 15:57

daniel683104 wrote:

What it have been done to made it funtional is as follows:

1. Change the resistor from RDY to DCT
2. Remove resistor J22 and solder a cable from the 5V imput to the side of the resistor place that conects to the controler IC
3. Solder a cable from RDY to PIN Number 2
4. Cut the PIN N12 and join it to pin 10 to have DS0 signal on PIN 10.

And it Works

Thanks to everyone

this is what I found Samsung sfd-321b page, sadly it doesn't apply due not compatible board revision.

By msxski

Resident (53)

msxski's picture

26-05-2018, 17:48

ali6x944 wrote:

I washed it with isopropyl alcohol last night to remove the flux residue of the board and to clean it a bit from dust and stuff like that.

Some of the add-on boards (I forget which ones) in mine didn't take too kindly to Isoprop. ItJust be careful. My add-on board coating started to melt..

If you really need an original floppy-drive for the AX350II, then I might be willing to trade my drive. It don't use it, I use MegaFlashRom mostly, so I disconnected it. It is untested though.

By ali6x944

Master (129)

ali6x944's picture

27-05-2018, 15:20

msxski wrote:
ali6x944 wrote:

I washed it with isopropyl alcohol last night to remove the flux residue of the board and to clean it a bit from dust and stuff like that.

Some of the add-on boards (I forget which ones) in mine didn't take too kindly to Isoprop. ItJust be careful. My add-on board coating started to melt..

really? I didn't face any problem with cleaning my add-on board -which is the rom board- in my machine ...
do you have any other boards in your machine?

msxski wrote:

If you really need an original floppy-drive for the AX350II, then I might be willing to trade my drive. It don't use it, I use MegaFlashRom mostly, so I disconnected it. It is untested though

cool, could you check for me the format of the disc drive is it a AX500 format or a shugart format, also here is my email if you would sell it to me :
ali6x9.minecraft@gmail.com

Page 17/18
10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | | 18
My MSX profile