Mitsumi D359M3D PC drive modification

Page 3/5
1 | 2 | | 4 | 5

By Gregory

Expert (93)

Gregory's picture

03-03-2014, 20:05

luppie wrote:

And you know for sure that it is a working drive ?

Yes, it's a brand new one (together with the other 20 I've got).
So, If i can get this one to work, I'll have drives to last me a lifetime.

If we know where the /RDY signal is on the drive, there's little point in generating the /RDY signal with TTL logic...or should I give that a try?
Or if you would like, I can ship one to you to have a look at it...

By luppie

Paladin (847)

luppie's picture

03-03-2014, 20:34

You can find my mail address in my profile. If you send me a mail, we can arrange something.

By hahaharam

Supporter (1)

hahaharam's picture

22-04-2016, 08:06

Hello,

i have the drive Gregory was trying to patch. Are the red marked steps in Luppies picture on side 2
true for the drive. I'm not shure because of Gregorys failure, can you help me?

Thank you!

By Hans41

Resident (61)

Hans41's picture

05-05-2017, 10:24

Used two umodded Mitsumi's D359M3 (no D) and altered the cable for drive A (10 controller trace to 12 drive connection) and an unmodded cable for the B-drive in a NMS-8280.

Was afraid I had to open the drives, they are indeed a (k)nightmare to open.

Works like a charm. Thanks Luppie !

By Hans41

Resident (61)

Hans41's picture

06-05-2017, 01:17

Well, oops, both flat cables also do need ground to pin34. From trace 1,3,5,7, etc. oO

By Gregory

Expert (93)

Gregory's picture

10-09-2017, 01:12

I've put 2 Mitsumi PC drives in my 8250. When I connect each drive seperately, both drives work ok. However I have some troubles when both drives are connected. When I put a single disk in either drive A or drive B, I get a 'disk offline' when I run the 'files' command. When I put the second disc in the other drive, everything works fine. I can run the files command on both drives and get the listing. I can also copy files from A to B.
So for the drives to work , I have to make sure that there is a disc in every drive.

Another thing I noticed, is that when I give the command files"a:" , drive b also starts spinning. It's like drive b mimmics the movements of drive A en vice versa.

Does someone have an explanation for this?

+

By Meits

Scribe (5214)

Meits's picture

10-09-2017, 03:40

sounds like you need to set the jumper right on one of the drives.
Might be a jumper, a switch or even a task for a soldering iron to solder a jumper.
I never tried connecting two drives set as default so I don't know what happens if you do, but your story looks like the result I'd expect.

By Gregory

Expert (93)

Gregory's picture

10-09-2017, 11:00

I thought of that but one drive is set as DS0 and the other as DS1. Both DEN2 jumpers are soldered.
I checked this with only one drive connected. So if I give files"a:" one drive responds ans when i connect the other drive seperately, it responds to files "b:". So that seems to be alright, i have an A-drive and a B-drive.

By Meits

Scribe (5214)

Meits's picture

10-09-2017, 12:41

Hmmm... Then I hope that a person with some more brains than me has a solution for you Wink

By Grauw

Enlighted (7549)

Grauw's picture

10-09-2017, 13:22

Do they have enough power?

Ok never mind I only read half of your post before responding Big smile. Bad me.

Page 3/5
1 | 2 | | 4 | 5
My MSX profile