Modifying a German Sony F-700D to use F-700P PAL keyboard layout?

Page 1/2

By perfectnarcosis

Resident (46)

perfectnarcosis's picture

23-10-2016, 01:05

Has anyone here ever tried or know if it's possible to modify a HB F-700D (German) so that it uses the PAL keyboard layout? I've got a PAL keyboard, but a German machine, yet it still outputs in the German key configuration ^^

Don't get me wrong, I can live with it now that I've finally found a keyboard! Smile2 but I didn't realize it's coded into the machine somehow hehe.

Login or register to post comments

By hamlet

Scribe (2207)

hamlet's picture

23-10-2016, 02:05

swap the cap.

By zeilemaker54

Master (228)

zeilemaker54's picture

23-10-2016, 09:50

Swap the roms. Keyboard decoding is in rombios.

By Meits

Scribe (5315)

Meits's picture

23-10-2016, 11:56

zeilemaker54 wrote:

Swap the roms. Keyboard decoding is in rombios.

That makes me instantly remember a possible flaw in each and every Sony 700: The ROM info printed on the mainboard MIGHT be correct. Sometimes diskrom and basicrom text is swapped which makes you think you pop off the right chip, but it turns out you're not.
So, check the schematics before you put the soldering iron on the board.

Really, I've seen it go wrong a few times. The operation to change the diskrom resulted in a Sony 700 with two diskroms

By hamlet

Scribe (2207)

hamlet's picture

23-10-2016, 13:11

Once you got the beast open, you might also swap the diskrom. The original gives a slow disk acess, (yes I know, we all use images via the MFR, but ... I still use those fantastic plastic pen-writable disks).
You have to to some soldering, if you don´t want to: Swap the caps on the keyboard. If you´re not coding to much, this will be the cheapest and fastest way to use a foreign keyboard on your 700. Maybe a MRC member got some roms, I think you can also buy them from M&M found on marktplaats.nl.

By perfectnarcosis

Resident (46)

23-10-2016, 13:13

Cheers for the fast and numerous responses guys! Gonna pop it open tomorrow and see what it has under the hood Smile haven't dug into these since forever. Will also look up the schematics.

Are the rom chips available somewhere by the way? Or the data itself? Otherwise I'll post a WTB thread in the Trading section once I got the correct info. And I'm guessing another alternative would be to burn the chips yourself correct? I'll do some good searches on the forum later tonight, if not tomorrow, see what I can gather. I'm not incapable of soldering or replacing chips luckily ^^

By Repair-Bas

Paladin (979)

Repair-Bas's picture

23-10-2016, 19:20

P and d keyboard are very different.
Not only keys are changed, key is missing and so on.
Easy to change to 2 roms.
But watch out, sometimes the text on the pcb is not correct.
Most to the back,is always the diskrom/msx2 basic.

Roms are avaible at www.bas-ditta.info

By perfectnarcosis

Resident (46)

24-10-2016, 14:46

So far I've mashed a quick reference pic together of schematic, Bas' modification guide for Fast Disk rom and my own HB-F700D. I'm assuming for now since there's no text on the PCB, the rom I'm looking to replace is the IC5 one correct?

I found the schematics here at Hans' website:
http://msx.hansotten.com/index.php?page=msxmanuals

And also the .ROM file for what seems to be both the basic and extension rom for the P version, here: http://mess.oldos.net/

@Bas: when you say the Roms are available at your website, what do you mean exactly? The physical eproms or the bios software? My next step would be to either manage to find an eprom burner, or if possibly, reach out to everyone here and hope someone nearby has one for me. I'd still need the correct eprom chips though, any pointers on this?

By perfectnarcosis

Resident (46)

24-10-2016, 14:47

Might as well upgrade to a Fast Disk rom too? Smile

By Meits

Scribe (5315)

Meits's picture

24-10-2016, 15:03

I'd do that. I've never seen anything slower than that diskrom... Well, maybe a tape Smile

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5176)

NYYRIKKI's picture

24-10-2016, 17:48

Meits wrote:

I'd do that. I've never seen anything slower than that diskrom... Well, maybe a tape Smile

I don't know about this but some early SVI-738 disk ROM's with 720KB drive are also quite horrible... You get about 30kbps speed... It is still 12 times faster than cassette, but I can't call it exactly great achievement. Smile

Page 1/2
My MSX profile