[MSX-SM] UNAPI Driver and ESP8266 Firmware Beta Version Presentation

Page 2/2
1 |

By ducasp

Master (147)

ducasp's picture

19-07-2019, 18:49

P.s.: I've updated HGET to v 1.3 (unofficial) and sent my changes to Nestor as a pull request so he can use/adapt my changes if he sees fit for the official HGET. My version, compiled is available at:

https://github.com/ducasp/MSX-Development/tree/master/UNAPI/...

It might benefit users of adapters that do not have v1.1 / TLS support as well, as it changes the way it shows the transfer progress writing much less data on screen (and allowing this time to be used to get more data and write it to the disk). Also we can get about one more tick per transferred block where HGET was waiting one more tick after calling TCP_WAIT, which should not be needed (each adapter UNAPI implementation will wait as much as needed when TCP_WAIT is called, i.e.: GR8NET and MSX-SM do not wait, just return, DENYONET, if I'm not mistaken, wait for a tick to elapse).

Also I've updated SNTP to fix a minor issue where sometimes it would try to set HH:MM:60 instead of HH:MM+1:00, I've sent a pull request to Nestor as well.

So, anyone with UNAPI adapters hopefully can benefit of those two updated utilites. ;)

By ducasp

Master (147)

ducasp's picture

20-07-2019, 05:47

I would edit the previous post, but it is not possible, I've added an updated TFTP version as well:

It should benefit users in general, as it removes an wait one extra tick when calling TCPIP_WAIT (same as HGET), and also update the way the transfer progress is printed, being faster by printing less characters and using less CPU time. ;)

By thalin

Rookie (19)

thalin's picture

14-09-2019, 14:49

Thanks for making this! I'm working on a cartridge with a ESP8266. I have studied the implementation and a lot of things would be possible to reuse! I failed to find the source for the ESP8266 firmware. Are these available? If not can I flash the binary file to the flash of a new ESP8266? Or do I need additional binaries for that?

By ducasp

Master (147)

ducasp's picture

14-09-2019, 17:05

Hi Thalin,

Firmware is not open source, even though it is available for free for SM-X users.

If you wish to use it in your project, please contact me (just click my nickname and there you will find a contact form) telling a little bit more about your project and what you intentions with the project (commercial, non-commercial, quantities, price, etc) and what different uses you plan for the ESP Firmware and the interface between it and MSX (currently the firmware communicates over 3v3 Serial Communication @ 859372 bps 8N1). The current firmware is a bit big due to SSL support, so it uses almost 450KB to the UNAPI and network stuff and a 256KB SPIFFs partition to hold the certificates for SSL, it can get down to 300 and something KBs if not using SSL. As you are going to use ESP for other functionalities, perhaps this firmware size could be an issue (and probably you can get it smaller by writing something using ESPRESSIF SDK directly, I use Arduino IDE ESP8266 libraries, even though I do not think it will get a lot smaller as ESPRESSIF SDK is occupying a lot of the firmware, and BEAR SSL occupies about 100KB on its own).

Page 2/2
1 |