Panasonic FS-3900

By Manuel

Ascended (12907)

Manuel's picture

11-01-2017, 19:18

I saw the wiki article on this machine, where it says it was mainly sold in Germany and the Netherlands....

I have never even heard of this machine... What is the source of that information? Or, is there some proof?

My personal guess is that it is only a prototype. And I would be very surprised if the firmware would not be in German too, with that qwertz keyboard....

Login or register to post comments

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5018)

mars2000you's picture

11-01-2017, 19:44

I know that MSXlegend, a French MSX fan, had bought this rare computer on a Dutch MSX fair, that's one point.

Second point is this site: http://www.geocities.ws/SiliconValley/Station/4283/cpag/PAG7... (Contact address is in The Netherlands)

(Home page: http://www.geocities.ws/SiliconValley/Station/4283/)

For the firmware, you're right, it is indeed in German ("Deutsch"), not in Dutch language....

By Manuel

Ascended (12907)

Manuel's picture

11-01-2017, 22:57

I think it's extremely rare, that's why I came up with the prototype theory.

Anyway, I think one can never claim "this machine was mainly sold in Germany and The Netherlands. ". I don't think it was sold at all, and definitely not in the Netherlands. There's no single evidence that it was ever sold in the Netherlands. We only have one photograph of it, and that one is clearly for the German market with the QWERTZ keyboard. But as it is so rare, I really doubt it was ever really sold at all.
I wonder what the serial number is of the machine that MSXlegend got.

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5018)

mars2000you's picture

11-01-2017, 23:03

Unfortunaly, MSXLegend does not have anymore this machine and I don't know the name of the new owner. No any dumps have been made, so if only a few units of this machine were produced, I guess it will never be emulated (just like the Laser MSX2 for example).

I'll correct the Wiki as the rarity of this machine implies that it was not really sold in big quantities.

By Manuel

Ascended (12907)

Manuel's picture

11-01-2017, 23:54

That looks better. The machine could have been targeted at more markets, but this particular example with the QWERTZ keyboard is of course only for the German (language) market. If that firmware is indeed in these other 2 languages as well, there was probably also a version with a keyboard for these languages. But maybe that may never have seen the real light. Or there may be prototypes of these as well somewhere (or destroyed in the mean time). Who knows....

By Manuel

Ascended (12907)

Manuel's picture

11-01-2017, 23:55

OK, if you accidentally double-click the submit button, you get the post twice Tongue

My MSX profile