Philips NMS 800 (or 801?)

Page 1/2

By HansO

Paladin (672)

HansO's picture

16-11-2006, 14:57

I recently acquired a very special MSX 1 computer: the Philips NMS 800. Coming from Italy, with an Italian user guide.

On this page the scanned userguide and some photos, also from the inside, are shown of this special Philips computer and datarecorder, deviating in several aspects of the MSX standard (no slots) and the usual Philips hardware design and artwork.

I found only reference to the name NMS 800 in the manual, the computer has no label on the outside or on the PCB inside of a code. On other locations on the web mention is made of the NMS 801.

Maybe someone can shed some light on the history and naming of this special MSX 1 (compatible) computer?

Login or register to post comments

By ARTRAG

Enlighted (6543)

ARTRAG's picture

16-11-2006, 17:22

I cannot open your wabpage...
any bandwidth problem?

By HansO

Paladin (672)

HansO's picture

16-11-2006, 17:25

Yes, my host is having problems and is working on it.
Sorry about that.

PS Its not a bandwidth problem (that happened march of this year, slashdot.jp referred to my site then)

By Manuel

Ascended (18151)

Manuel's picture

16-11-2006, 19:06

Maybe the 801 is the complete package and the 800 just the MSX?

see also:

http://www.msxarchive.nl/pub/msx/photos/hardware/Philips_NMS-801_MSX1-pack.jpg

This advertisement also mentions a floppy drive... How to connect it?

It would be very interesting to have a look at that BASIC. What else is different from version 1.0, except for the function key definitions and the introscreen?

By sergem

Expert (94)

sergem's picture

17-11-2006, 10:00

to hanso: this computer was made made for some anniversary of Philips in Italy, i owned such computer until a year ago...I never heard of a nms800 only nms 801.
It comes in a package with six tapes with games on it, a datarecorder, a joystick and the computer ofcourse, it has no cartridgeslots and only 16 or 32kb memory as i remember. and the keyboard is terrible Sad

to manuel: the basic says version 3.0 but is just simple msx 1 basic and no extra functions

due to no cartridgeslots and little memory (not to speak about the keyboard!) is this funny thing nothing more then a collectors item

By enribar

Paragon (1136)

enribar's picture

18-11-2006, 01:24

I own this machine, but on the cover of user manual the 800 is covered with 801.
I've read that the 801 has more memory than 800.
801 has 64K and 800 has 32K, but I've never seen the NMS800 (maybe was a last minute change in the design).

@manuel: yes, that 801 page was scannered by me, maybe I have other infos on that advertising book, if I remember well some descriptions of software. Let me check...

One more thing... there are some differences in memory management, but about this fact you have to ask to the creators of blueMSX.

By Manuel

Ascended (18151)

Manuel's picture

18-11-2006, 09:37

enribar: weird, as HansO confirmed 64k in the 800.

Why do we have to ask the authors of blueMSX? (But OK: dvik??)

By HansO

Paladin (672)

HansO's picture

18-11-2006, 12:05

Thanks manuel, sergem, enribar for all the answers!

Indeed this machine is a curiosity and a collectors item, the lack of slots and the bad keyboard make it less usable than other MSX 1 machines. The video quality, RGB scart, is very good though.

Mine has 64K RAM (since 2x 4464 DRAM (64Kx4 bit delivers that). I have not checked if all is available, perhaps only 32K is mapped in and available.

The manual, scanned on my NSM 800 page, is the only reference I found to the name NMS 800. On the computer itself there is no label, the PCB inside no type identification either.

It is very likely two versions existed, since the photo I found here shows the addition of a rf modulator not in mine (or others I have seen pictures of the backside).

Lets hope more information comes up. Enribar, can you scan/take a picture of the front of the manual with NMS 801? Anyone with the original package can see if there is a type identification on it?

By HansO

Paladin (672)

HansO's picture

18-11-2006, 12:07

Yes, my host is having problems and is working on it.
Sorry about that.

PS Its not a bandwidth problem (that happened march of this year, slashdot.jp referred to my site then)

Problems seem to solved.

By ARTRAG

Enlighted (6543)

ARTRAG's picture

18-11-2006, 12:41

No cartridge slots? Unusable for any practical purpose...

By HansO

Paladin (672)

HansO's picture

18-11-2006, 16:16

No cartridge slots? Unusable for any practical purpose...
But it has cassette!

Page 1/2